LONG COMMUTE UN-APPRECIATION THREAD

ALRIGHT, as a follow-up from my previous thread about interviews, i GOT THE JOB at St. Jude Medical in SYLMAR.

now for the unappreciated part. I gotta commute a whopping ~150 miles round trip per DAY. with the 210 traffic, im left with the option of taking the train towork.

monthly train pass - 354$
wake up ~4:45 to catch the 5:45 train

well on the way back, the only options left is a 5:25 and then, a 7:20 pick up form SYLMAR.

by the time i get home, lord behold, its somewhere between 9-10PM. ill pretty much spend my life on the move.....

tell me im not alone in this....

Damn, I thought I had it bad with my hour round trip commute
eek.gif
Waking up at 4:45 sounds like hell.

Well damn...don't know what to say, sounds like a good time to read a book or listen to some music

I can't do that btw....props

i can always drive, but the issue with that is the rush hour traffic all the way home. not to mention the money i lose on gas

=___=

option A : relocate

Option B : Find a new job

Option C : Adapt

that will take a toll on your body

i hope your pay is good because your whole day is pretty much devoted to work. divide those hours and that's what you really get paid.

OPTION A - i might look into a cheap place to rent next to work, but it might take some time searching

OPTION B - this IS the new job, thanks to my previous douche employers that cut my hours by 60%

OPTION C - im currently doing it. Its rough, but hey, at least the pay is good, and ill learn some good experiences at this job as a chemist.

actual salary comes out to about 26$/hour. i cant ask for a better paying job considering this shoddy recession were having.

However,
anyone else going through similar things?

i've heard ppl some ppl from St. Jude @ sylmar commutes from orange county. If you are one of them, how does that work out for u?

daily grind

make ends meat

we put everything into the system yet get nothing back

we aint living right

Originally Posted by jaechiney

OPTION A - i might look into a cheap place to rent next to work, but it might take some time searching

OPTION B - this IS the new job, thanks to my previous douche employers that cut my hours by 60%

OPTION C - im currently doing it. Its rough, but hey, at least the pay is good, and ill learn some good experiences at this job as a chemist.

actual salary comes out to about 26$/hour. i cant ask for a better paying job considering this shoddy recession were having.

However,
anyone else going through similar things?

i've heard ppl some ppl from St. Jude @ sylmar commutes from orange county. If you are one of them, how does that work out for u?
that's rough man. i don't know some ppl do it. i can't stand traffic at all, it eats away at my soul. if you can rent out a roomsomewhere, that's what i would do. how many hours is your current commute?

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

daily grind

make ends meat

we put everything into the system yet get nothing back

we aint living right
I see what you did there

wait, did I just read that you pay 354 for a monthly train pass!?? NYC is only 1/3 of that, whoa

Option D. find a coworker who lives nearby and offer to help with their rent/mortgage so that you can stay overnight during the week.(Mon to Thurs)

I currently drive to work downtown from the south side of Chicago. After work I drive to school in Lombard and then drive back south after school. Thank Godschool is over in 5 weeks and I will be back on the train daily.

Where do you currently live?

You can find a spot in the Valley and just shoot up the 5 to Roxford, wouldn't take you more than 20 minutes (you would be going against traffic in themorning, and at night).

After Katrina my moms moved temporarily to a small town about 30 miles from Baton Rouge. She still drove to work everyday in N.O and to bring my lil sis toschool who was still attending school in N.O. I think the distance was like maybe 75 - 90 miles. She did this a little under a year. Eventually she moved closeto N.O. Moral of the story find somewhere to live near where you work.

^ yep, im 10 miles from work but with traffic that means 30-45 minutes commute

im moving in nov, 2.5 miles away 5 min commute

Damn that sounds bad, it sucks, too.

I would suggest reading/listening to music. In the morning, just sleep.

My May - December commute is 50-55 mins door to door...I walk to the train which takes 5 mins, trip is 40 and the walk to my office is about 5-10 depending theroute.

Though my schedule is flexible typically, I generally like to be in the office by 8-830 so I have to leave by about 7:20.

January through April, I get up about as early as you, but I opt to drive. It saves 20-25 mins each way on time and is only a few more dollars (not taking intoconsideration the wear/tear on my car..but since I drive an avg of 6k miles a year, I'm not worried about taking it into consideration) and since I'llbe at work for 12-14 hours, I'd like to have ANY time saved. It's worth it to me.

Good luck though.

Damn, and I thought my 50 mile roundtrip was bad.

You get props from me for doing all that. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom