Lottery Winner Not So Lucky

[h1]Finders Not Keepers in Lottery Case[/h1]
[h1]
aol
[/h1]

(July 27) -- Michael and Amanda Stacy won 30,000 British pounds after hitting the jackpot on a lottery ticket late last year. The only problem with their good fortune was it wasn't theirs.

The ticket -- worth more than $49,000 -- had been bought by Dorothy McDonagh, who later dropped it on the floor of a supermarket, according to an Agence France-Presse report.
Skip over this content
http://
After McDonagh proved she was the rightful owner of the ticket, a court in Swindon, England, ordered the Stacys to return 15,000 pounds to McDonagh, plus 111 pounds in interest, in a decision announced Friday. The couple had already spent the other half of the prize money.

"It's jolly decent of them to let me have a half share of my win," McDonagh said after the court decision. The 61-year-old will have to sue Camelot Group, the operators of the UK National Lottery, if she wants to recover the remainder of her money.

The Stacys, who in April were given an 11-month suspended jail sentence for fraud in the case, claimed they thought the money was rightfully theirs, under the assumption "finders keepers."

http://news.aol.com/article/found-lottery-ticket-case/589783?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Ffound-lottery-ticket-case%2F589783

I say finders, keepers......Original purchaser should have taken better care of her property.

How do you prove that you purchased the winning ticket? It's not like you get a receipt or they take a picture of your and your ticket before you walkout... Unless its different across the pond

Maybe they had her dropping the ticket and the other person picking it up on camera or something.

Made me think of this, another unlucky case
laugh.gif

http://www.thestar.com/article/669888

$4.4M lotto winner jailed

Jul 22, 2009 01:00 AM
Dale Anne Freed
STAFF REPORTER

Some guys have all the luck.

That's what Barry Shell of Brampton likely thought Monday when he went to pick up his nearly $4.4 million jackpot at Ontario Lottery and Gamingheadquarters on Dundas St. W.

But after a smiling Shell, 45, had posed for an OLG photo holding his cheque for $4,377,298, he was arrested outside the building on outstanding criminalcharges and taken into police custody.

Instead of escaping to a five-star getaway, he was kept overnight and appeared in a Brampton courtroom yesterday on charges of failing to appear, theft under$5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime.

A warrant for his arrest was issued after Shell failed to show up for a 2003 court date.

Const. Adam Minnion of Peel police said: "The OPP contacted Peel police and said, 'This person is wanted on an outstanding warrant, would you like toreturn for him?' "

Peel police said they'd go and get him, Minnion said.

Asked how a lottery win could result in the discovery of outstanding warrants, Rui Brum from OLG said last night: "A rigorous investigation process isfollowed any time a prize is claimed.

"Any flags that are raised are immediately forwarded to the OPP Bureau attached to the AGCO (the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario) for furtherinvestigation."

In an OLG press release announcing Shell's win, he is quoted as saying: "I went to the store and checked my ticket on the self-serve ticket checker.

"As soon as I saw how much I had won, I grabbed a pen and signed my ticket."

He had bought the winning ticket at a Petro Canada on Kennedy Rd. N. in Brampton.

The OLG press release concludes: "The 45-year-old has no immediate plans for the windfall."

It should be Finders Keepers, its worse that the couple faced Fraud Charges...you serious Britain? I mean really?

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

ad635de3e509ed03dbb820fe3d92f4f38487961.jpg

I laugh everytime i see this
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

There comes a time.....
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Somebody send me that link again. That was too funny.
laugh.gif

Damn, on the back of the IL Lottery tickets it basically says... "You lose it, sucks to be you." That's messed up.
laugh.gif
But you're supposedto sign it though. I think once you sign it, it's yours so if someone finds it, they can't claim it...unless you have the same name or something.

Back
Top Bottom