Lupe Fiasco> pretty much every rapper out

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

_s act like lupe wanted to make lasers... u dont contemplate suicide making %$%! u want to make... u can blame him for signing to atlantic but u cant blame him for that album

I agree man!  It (LASERS) being released also doesn't kill his other body of work and how I view him as an artist. He was in a messed up situation and it is what it is. 

Originally Posted by MOSTHATED770

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

there hasn't been any rapper post-Lupe that I actually anticipate material from...
45ade458e3_o.jpg

thank me later

grin.gif
 he aint never dropping an album

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

I'll admit, he's one of few rappers, along with Em, that has reached a peak I can't consistently rhyme at.... yet.
There's more to rap than putting rhymes together though.

Agreed. But I was specifically thinking in those terms when I posted that. So that's all I meant by that, really. Song writing and everything that goes into it is a whole different thing to me. I can't rank things like that. But just mechanically... Lupe is.. prodigious. Eminem is the bar though. That's not even debatable to me..
grin.gif

I'll admit, he's one of few rappers, along with Em, that has reached a peak I can't consistently rhyme at.... yet.

Agreed. But I was specifically thinking in those terms when I posted that. So that's all I meant by that, really. Song writing and everything that goes into it is a whole different thing to me. I can't rank things like that. But just mechanically... Lupe is.. prodigious. Eminem is the bar though. That's not even debatable to me..
grin.gif

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

grin.gif

Songwriting trumps pure rhyming everytime. And the best rappers do both without jamming a billion rhymes into a bar. BIG/Jay don't outrhyme some MCs but they find the right balance between songwriting art and rhyme, which is key in appealing to a wide audience. Lupe is mad talented, but he needs to learn how to find this balance and craft LPs with it. If you want to be more underground that's fine, but you don't do underground when you sign to these mainstream labels.

grin.gif

Songwriting trumps pure rhyming everytime. And the best rappers do both without jamming a billion rhymes into a bar. BIG/Jay don't outrhyme some MCs but they find the right balance between songwriting art and rhyme, which is key in appealing to a wide audience. Lupe is mad talented, but he needs to learn how to find this balance and craft LPs with it. If you want to be more underground that's fine, but you don't do underground when you sign to these mainstream labels.

anyone in here going to his show at Governor's Island in August...thinking about going esp after that performance he put on at roseland ballroom
pimp.gif

anyone in here going to his show at Governor's Island in August...thinking about going esp after that performance he put on at roseland ballroom
pimp.gif

grin.gif

Eh... that's hard for me to cosign because I like my craft so much. But I hear you. It's like ball. The goal is to win the game, but if you don't like playing it, you'll never be motivated enough to succeed.  Let's just say "I rap for me. I write songs for my listeners". If you listen to rap, you're inclined to like what you listen to, or like it a certain way. But I MAKE rap. So while I don't think what I like is any better than what you like,  I do think I like things about rap that the average listener isn't in tune with. But I'm still finding that balance yo speak of....Therefore, what you said about Lupe is EXACTLY why I don't listen to him. He raps for himself. He makes songs for....himself. They don't appeal to me, mostly. F&L is one of my favorite drugs, but a lot of his other stuff is too whimsical for my tastes....EVEN THOUGH.. I respect the level of skill he pours into it. Which  brings me right back to Eminem..
pimp.gif

grin.gif

Eh... that's hard for me to cosign because I like my craft so much. But I hear you. It's like ball. The goal is to win the game, but if you don't like playing it, you'll never be motivated enough to succeed.  Let's just say "I rap for me. I write songs for my listeners". If you listen to rap, you're inclined to like what you listen to, or like it a certain way. But I MAKE rap. So while I don't think what I like is any better than what you like,  I do think I like things about rap that the average listener isn't in tune with. But I'm still finding that balance yo speak of....Therefore, what you said about Lupe is EXACTLY why I don't listen to him. He raps for himself. He makes songs for....himself. They don't appeal to me, mostly. F&L is one of my favorite drugs, but a lot of his other stuff is too whimsical for my tastes....EVEN THOUGH.. I respect the level of skill he pours into it. Which  brings me right back to Eminem..
pimp.gif

grin.gif

pimp.gif

All you gotta do is look at this dude right here
Screenplay-Written-by-Tupac-Shakur-Gets-Green-Light.jpg

to see exactly what I'm talkin bout. He ain't seein Em rhyme-wise, but alot of people swear by his music.

Nothing wrong with employing skill, but again - pure skill only matters for people who wanna hear it, which is a small part of the music population.

grin.gif

pimp.gif

to see exactly what I'm talkin bout. He ain't seein Em rhyme-wise, but alot of people swear by his music.

Nothing wrong with employing skill, but again - pure skill only matters for people who wanna hear it, which is a small part of the music population.

pimp.gif

I'm not arguing with you at all. I completely agree with what you're saying, from your point of view as a rap fan. But I'm Rilla. I'm not a rap fan. I ain't been a fan of rap for about 3 summers. But I like rapping though. So I rap like me. It's cool that Tupac is/was Tupac, but I don't want to be Tupac. He didn't get to where he is by wanting to be someone else. I can't get to where I want to be that way either. There's a thin line in rapping for a fan base and rapping for the love of doing it. Some people love doing what their fan base is chewing up. Look at WHEN Pac reigned. He was lucky. Look at what I'm dealing with today and how the consumer base really is and where the money is flowing to/from.   

pimp.gif

I'm not arguing with you at all. I completely agree with what you're saying, from your point of view as a rap fan. But I'm Rilla. I'm not a rap fan. I ain't been a fan of rap for about 3 summers. But I like rapping though. So I rap like me. It's cool that Tupac is/was Tupac, but I don't want to be Tupac. He didn't get to where he is by wanting to be someone else. I can't get to where I want to be that way either. There's a thin line in rapping for a fan base and rapping for the love of doing it. Some people love doing what their fan base is chewing up. Look at WHEN Pac reigned. He was lucky. Look at what I'm dealing with today and how the consumer base really is and where the money is flowing to/from.   

pimp.gif

I hear what you're saying - I was simply giving an example of someone who didn't necessarily employ "skill" to be a great rapper. He and plenty of other rappers aren't outrhyming people but they deliver the goods from the song standpoint, which is more important for the general audience (I don't mean flashes in the pan like Vanilla Ice, I mean over a sustained career). People in general love listening to them, whereas dudes like Lupe don't attain plat status. It all depends on what you're doing with your music, but my point was that the Lupe types shouldn't be making commercial music on a commercial label while sounding like an underground artist, which LASERS made a mess of.

pimp.gif

I hear what you're saying - I was simply giving an example of someone who didn't necessarily employ "skill" to be a great rapper. He and plenty of other rappers aren't outrhyming people but they deliver the goods from the song standpoint, which is more important for the general audience (I don't mean flashes in the pan like Vanilla Ice, I mean over a sustained career). People in general love listening to them, whereas dudes like Lupe don't attain plat status. It all depends on what you're doing with your music, but my point was that the Lupe types shouldn't be making commercial music on a commercial label while sounding like an underground artist, which LASERS made a mess of.

Ya know something, I've never even heard Lupe. Somehow, that makes you right by default. But at the end of my day, I wanna look back and be able to say "Yo, I was nice as @%#@". I'd be lucky if a billion and one people also said, "Rilla was nice as @%#@", but it's not as important to me. So if I don't exactly rap the way you like to hear rap, whoops..my bad. (I know that's not what you were saying though.) But what if I rap the way I like rapping... and a few thousand people dig it? That's heaven to me.. I can only hope to exand those borders.

Ya know something, I've never even heard Lupe. Somehow, that makes you right by default. But at the end of my day, I wanna look back and be able to say "Yo, I was nice as @%#@". I'd be lucky if a billion and one people also said, "Rilla was nice as @%#@", but it's not as important to me. So if I don't exactly rap the way you like to hear rap, whoops..my bad. (I know that's not what you were saying though.) But what if I rap the way I like rapping... and a few thousand people dig it? That's heaven to me.. I can only hope to exand those borders.

Get these tupac and jcole references outta here.
I mess with Krit real heavy I love dudes music but he's not coming close to Lu'
Lu' has flows, rhymes and appeal
Plus his swag>

Get these tupac and jcole references outta here.
I mess with Krit real heavy I love dudes music but he's not coming close to Lu'
Lu' has flows, rhymes and appeal
Plus his swag>

Back
Top Bottom