Management Consulting....anyone a consultant? MBA's please chime in......

Is going into consulting from a Big Four accounting firm as an auditor possible?
Yes, but you would need to get an MBA to make that career change.
Good looks. I went to a target school for grad schools, and one of my boys went into Deloitte Consulting. I chose to go to audit because I'm an idiot. I should have tried consulting first and then gone into audit if it didn't pan out.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'm trying to go to a top 3 MBA program, so I'm doing my time here for the work experience requirement. I'm planning on doing my MBA concentrations in finance and strategy, but I double-majored in finance as an undergrad.

I plan to pursue mgmt consulting post-MBA.

I've more or less accepted that I found out about this career path a bit too late to consider myself "MBB material", but I do know there are rewarding and worthwhile careers outside of these firms. Folks I know from Deloitte and Accenture have been immensely successful in placement outside of their firms But of course the prospects are a notch or two below those that are available to MBB folks.

From an outside who stays in touch with a few insiders, it seems to be all about leveraging your strengths, using your connections and realizing your potential, guess I'll find out when I get there.

I'm right there with you man.

Unfortunately, academics were not a priority for me in college and I definitely underachieved. I have a bachelors in Finance/Entrepreneurship from a good university but my grades were not the best. I've been working in the federal government for the past few years but have decided to go back to school for my MBA with the hopes of working for either Deloitte, Booz, or another consulting firm when I finish. I will be a CDFM and PMP by the end of this year. Then I am going to go for my MBA. Though I want to, I don't know if I will be able to go back to school full time. The good thing is, I I have a laid back job now with a lot of free time to pursue and MBA by taking night classes or online. I've impressed my supervisors with my work and have made a connection with one who has reached out to mentor me since he knows I don't really belong at this job right now and there are better opportunities out there for me. He worked for a few big consulting firms prior to coming to work for the government, this is kind of his laid back pre-retirement job. He's helping me lay out a few year plan right now and said as soon I'm ready to start looking for the jobs to let him know and he will make some phone calls. Have lots to accomplish in the next 2-3 years so I can be ready for that.

My roommate was in undergrad with me but did his MBA right after while I went to work. So he just finished school with his MBA and got his first job doing consulting with a good firm. My gf is interning with a prestigious consulting firm and graduating from an Ivy with almost a 4.0 in about a year. Both of them make me feel like a bum :lol: BUT, they have motivated me to better myself and go for that MBA to get a private sector job after.

Last edited:

I plan to pursue mgmt consulting post-MBA.

I've more or less accepted that I found out about this career path a bit too late to consider myself "MBB material", but I do know there are rewarding and worthwhile careers outside of these firms. Folks I know from Deloitte and Accenture have been immensely successful in placement outside of their firms But of course the prospects are a notch or two below those that are available to MBB folks.

From an outside who stays in touch with a few insiders, it seems to be all about leveraging your strengths, using your connections and realizing your potential, guess I'll find out when I get there.
I'm right there with you man.

Unfortunately, academics were not a priority for me in college and I definitely underachieved. I have a bachelors in Finance/Entrepreneurship from a good university but my grades were not the best. I've been working in the federal government for the past few years but have decided to go back to school for my MBA with the hopes of working for either Deloitte, Booz, or another consulting firm when I finish. I will be a CDFM and PMP by the end of this year. Then I am going to go for my MBA. Though I want to, I don't know if I will be able to go back to school full time. The good thing is, I I have a laid back job now with a lot of free time to pursue and MBA by taking night classes or online. I've impressed my supervisors with my work and have made a connection with one who has reached out to mentor me since he knows I don't really belong at this job right now and there are better opportunities out there for me. He worked for a few big consulting firms prior to coming to work for the government, this is kind of his laid back pre-retirement job. He's helping me lay out a few year plan right now and said as soon I'm ready to start looking for the jobs to let him know and he will make some phone calls. Have lots to accomplish in the next 2-3 years so I can be ready for that.

My roommate was in undergrad with me but did his MBA right after while I went to work. So he just finished school with his MBA and got his first job doing consulting with a good firm. My gf is interning with a prestigious consulting firm and graduating from an Ivy with almost a 4.0 in about a year. Both of them make me feel like a bum
laugh.gif
BUT, they have motivated me to better myself and go for that MBA to get a private sector job after.
Not majoring in business but Computer Science...

How do you like working for the government?? They're hosting a seminar/network at my Uni next week on how to lock down gov jobs, and although im going to go anyways, would like to get a non-biased NT'er perspective. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom