Marlins' new stadium to have aquariums behind home plate

Not that baseball in Miami matters much, but maybe some live fish will bring the fans in droves to the park?
fishx-large.jpg

This is no fish story. The Marlins said today they plan to have two saltwater aquariums as part of the backstop behind home plate in their new stadium that is scheduled to open in 2012.
This may be the most interesting ballpark feature in baseball, surpassing the tank full of rays beyond the right-center field fence in St. Petersburg and the swimming pool in beyond the right field fence in Arizona.

"Among the most unique features of the New Marlins Ballpark will be the twin Custom Saltwater Aquariums that will flank both sides of home plate,'' the Marlins press release stated. "These one-of-kind aquarium exhibits will provide baseball fans with a firsthand glimpse of the fish and coral reef ecosystems that are synonymous with South Florida.

"The aquariums will be built on each side of home plate and will be been positioned to prevent any disruption to players on the field. The aquarium to the right of home plate (when looking from the pitcher's mound) measures an impressive 34 feet long, 36 inches high and holds over 600 gallons of seawater, while the aquarium to the left, will be 24 feet in length, holding 450 gallons of water.

"Each aquarium will be constructed using a durable fiberglass structure; while crystal-clear acrylic panels 1.5 inches thick will be used for the impressive viewing windows that run the entire length of the aquariums.

"To safeguard the exhibits from unexpected impacts, Lexan - the material used in bullet proof windows - will be installed in front and in back of the acrylic panels to protect the aquarium from foul balls, errant pitches or any other unexpected contact."

By Peter Barzilai

The best part about that picture are all the "people" in the seats.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

unless its full of actual marlins

Although I think those tanks are too small for marlins, that would be quite legit.

Us viewers probably wouldn't even be able to see it because of those damn green screens they always show with rolledex advertisements
smh.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Miami doesn't deserve baseball
smh.gif

Thats why they put fish tanks in play so fans are tricked into thinking they are going to an aquarium that has marlins. Boy will those people be quite upset when they show up to see it is actually a baseball team and not a real fish. Someone will go crazy and next thing you know Dexter is there doing blood analysis.

A cool idea would be to make the tank really long and then as high as possible then try to put marlins in it
pimp.gif

I don't think they'll actually do it. It would definitely be way too distracting for pitchers, IMO.

They shoulda made their outfield wall the tanks and put marlins in it........Sure, it would be REALLY expensive, but id go see them play just to see that.

They would use a regular gate with just enough room for impact.......then the tank behind it.

That's kind of cool, that still won't make people go to the games

It looks like I'm not the only one who had the idea to move it to the outfield so its bigger and actually put marlins in it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

In the same division as Oliver Perez 'pitches' in? He's gonna kill more aquatic life than BP.

roll.gif
%##% man, I gotta give it to you on that one.
laugh.gif

Where did the Marlins get money for a new stadium? If I was the Mayor and the owner came to me looking for public funding, i'd show them the door.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

They shoulda made their outfield wall the tanks and put marlins in it........Sure, it would be REALLY expensive, but id go see them play just to see that.

They would use a regular gate with just enough room for impact.......then the tank behind it.
pimp.gif

taking a pun way to far. why don't you just make the whole stadium an aquarium, or feed fish food. smh.

you think the detroit tigers going to have a Savannah in the outfield w/ tigers? 

taking away from the game of baseball. leave it to the game of baseball!!!

It's baseball i came to see, not your corny zoo. Oh and what kind of team is marlins.
laugh.gif
roll.gif
@ there even being marlin fans. Matter of fact, Florida sucks.

Back
Top Bottom