meet Terrence Wise, a 36 year old, 2nd-generation fast-food worker

have you been living under a rock this past year and half? the fast food workers are fighting for only fast food workers. what makes their job worth $15/hr but not other minimum wage jobs? that's the only thing i have been trying to say lol. but you don't mention anything about that. i have already said multiple times that i'm all for the minimum wage to increase but i don't see why fast food workers should jump to $15 while other minimum wage workers stay at the same rate.

Are they arguing that minimum wage should stay the same for everyone else while increasing for fast food employees? Or are they just arguing that minimum wage should be increased for fast food employees? There's a difference.

can you show how i get sensitive? because i'm just laughing at how you think you're really doing it but in reality you're not. can you please show me where im telling blatant lies or flawed logic because i don't see it and you're the only one who is seeing it. i also like how you pick and choose what I say and not my entire message lol. i'm talking from what i saw and experienced and from people i personally know in similar situations. so i can't voice that because i don't have any stats to back it up? why is the only person who think i'm telling lies or have flaw logic is you?

how is it crazy for me to judge his work ethic or his intelligence if he's in the same spot as he was 20 years ago?

You suggested that I'm an irresponsible fast food employee multiple times. That sounds to me like you're being sensitive and arguing from emotion. Refer back to where you made an assertion and couldn't back your claim. That's blatant dishonesty.

It's pretty crazy to judge someone on so few details. You know so little about this person, but you're making assumptions about them to draw conclusions.

i had an entire message ready but i'm done with you dude lol. yeah you can get all technical with everything but just know you're in the minority on this topic. and we will STILL be laughing when Terrence Wise is a 56 year old fast food worker still making under $10/hr and he's blaming everybody but himself.

lol just admit you took the L in the debate with him.
View media item 1755441

Last edited:
have you been living under a rock this past year and half? the fast food workers are fighting for only fast food workers. what makes their job worth $15/hr but not other minimum wage jobs? that's the only thing i have been trying to say lol. but you don't mention anything about that. i have already said multiple times that i'm all for the minimum wage to increase but i don't see why fast food workers should jump to $15 while other minimum wage workers stay at the same rate.

Are they arguing that minimum wage should stay the same for everyone else while increasing for fast food employees? Or are they just arguing that minimum wage should be increased for fast food employees? There's a difference.

can you show how i get sensitive? because i'm just laughing at how you think you're really doing it but in reality you're not. can you please show me where im telling blatant lies or flawed logic because i don't see it and you're the only one who is seeing it. i also like how you pick and choose what I say and not my entire message lol. i'm talking from what i saw and experienced and from people i personally know in similar situations. so i can't voice that because i don't have any stats to back it up? why is the only person who think i'm telling lies or have flaw logic is you?

how is it crazy for me to judge his work ethic or his intelligence if he's in the same spot as he was 20 years ago?

You suggested that I'm an irresponsible fast food employee multiple times. That sounds to me like you're being sensitive and arguing from emotion. Refer back to where you made an assertion and couldn't back your claim. That's blatant dishonesty.

It's pretty crazy to judge someone on so few details. You know so little about this person, but you're making assumptions about them to draw conclusions.

i had an entire message ready but i'm done with you dude lol. yeah you can get all technical with everything but just know you're in the minority on this topic. and we will STILL be laughing when Terrence Wise is a 56 year old fast food worker still making under $10/hr and he's blaming everybody but himself.

View media item 1755441

Lol foh lil man, I wasn't wrong about anything. Yeah I might not have any stats that show ambitious and hard working people normally succeed. But who would doubt that besides ol'boy. Yeah I might not have stats that show Terrance is a bum cause he's been in the same position for the last 20 years but who would else doubts that besides your man lmao. Yeah the fast food workers aren't saying that their wages should be the only minimum wage sector to be increased but why not talk about all sectors getting increased? I mean me and dude can argue about this all day but what's the point?

Last edited:

View media item 1755441

Lol foh lil man, I wasn't wrong about anything. Yeah I might not have any stats that show ambitious and hard working people normally succeed. But who would doubt that besides ol'boy. Yeah I might not have stats that show Terrance is a bum cause he's been in the same position for the last 20 years but who would else doubts that besides your man lmao. Yeah the fast food workers aren't saying that their wages should be the only minimum wage sector to be increased but why not talk about all sectors getting increased? I mean me and dude can argue about this all day but what's the point?

Dude isn't a bum. In the article it says that he didn't wanna' wind up like his brothers who both went to jail for dealing drugs. He has had numerous jobs, sometimes more than one at a time. That's not a bum. A bum is an able bodied man who sits on the side of the road with a sign begging for money to spend on alcohol and drugs, or someone who steals from those around him to support a habit. He might be an underachiever, but he's not a bum.

Last edited:
You're right underachiever might be the more appropriate word but I'm still sticking to what I said. I don't get how anyone who stays at the same minimum-wage job for 20 years can blame anyone but theirselves.

Last edited:
Ooooooh 20 job in one night :lol: :lol:

"I'm also the night court judge, the circuit judge the tennis court judge, the judge of Star Search a good judge of character and the understudy forJudge Reinhold."

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."

"I'll be the judge of that."

:rofl:

All technical? You mean I discuss with facts and try to be objective? I'm not sure how you know I'm in the minority when you couldn't even figure out where I stand.
Lol foh lil man, I wasn't wrong about anything. Yeah I might not have any stats that show ambitious and hard working people normally succeed. But who would doubt that besides ol'boy. 
Come on, that wasn't even what you originally said. At least be honest.

All technical? You mean I discuss with facts and try to be objective? I'm not sure how you know I'm in the minority when you couldn't even figure out where I stand.

Lol foh lil man, I wasn't wrong about anything. Yeah I might not have any stats that show ambitious and hard working people normally succeed. But who would doubt that besides ol'boy. 

Come on, that wasn't even what you originally said. At least be honest.

So i never said what i just highlighted above in this thread? are you sure?

you're so busy with trying to turn everything against me that you don't see that we are pretty much on the same page. like i said i agree with increasing the minimum wage so people can make a livable wage. i don't agree with fast food workers making more than other minimum wage workers because i think they should be the same. did they explicitly say they only want to raise the fast food workers but not other minimum wage workers? no, but for them to fight for only fast food workers wage to increase, to me it means they only care about their wages increasing. why did the fast food workers go on strike trying to increase to their hourly wage to $15 an hour and not minimum wage in general?

like i first mentioned i know minimum wage is supposed to raise a family but it's not anymore. IMO and the majority of people in here, if he was ambitious or smart, he would have found an alternative to making minimum wage at the same fast food place the last 20 years. this is what i mean when i said that you are the minority in here.

Last edited:
Most of you are in here going back and forth judging him from YOUR (probably privileged) perspective talking about choices and bad decisions. But being poor, no matter what job he is able to choose, the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against him to have any kind of improvement in the quality of life. 70% of people born poor stay poor. Everyone's in here talking about his decisions but no one in here is talking about statistics, socioeconomics, or why is it so hard for those that are poor to break the cycle and make it out of poverty. The fact that 70% of people don't make it out o poverty is clearly indicative of the system and not the individuals. Being generationally poor is a Huge mind F*CK. But please, ignore all that keep talking about what you would have done in his situation.

131112174947-income-brackets-tl-614xa.png

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/11/13/making-it-into-the-middle-class/

Most of you are in here going back and forth judging him from YOUR (probably privileged) perspective talking about choices and bad decisions. But being poor, no matter what job he is able to choose, the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against him to have any kind of improvement in the quality of life. 70% of people born poor stay poor. Everyone's in here talking about his decisions but no one in here is talking about statistics, socioeconomics, or why is it so hard for those that are poor to break the cycle and make it out of poverty. The fact that 70% of people don't make it out o poverty is clearly indicative of the system and not the individuals. Being generationally poor is a Huge mind F*CK. But please, ignore all that keep talking about what you would have done in his situation.

hmm,
so what about the people in here that were JUST as poor and uneducated as him, but still managed to overcome the same statistics, socioeconomics, and system?

then what?

when does personal accountability come into the conversation?

does it ever?

i still have yet to see anyone produce a single w/no kids, minimum wage worker thats MISSING MEALS.

now that is who nees to be the face of the cause for raising the minimum wage.

i refuse to even attempt to help anyone purposely (directly or indirectly) planning a family while making minimum wage

hmm,
so what about the people in here that were JUST as poor and uneducated as him, but still managed to overcome the same statistics, socioeconomics, and system?

then what?

does it ever?
again OUTLIERS. its not impossible to break the cycle but the stars damn near have to align for it to happen even with hard work. personal responsibility is relative to your situation and your circumstances. That doesnt change the fact that the odds are stacked against Terrence and people like him. You guys can say he shouldnt have kids, or he shouldnt have stayed at mcdonalds but the fact of the matter is he would still be poor, and statistically he would remain that way. Sure he wouldnt be struggling AS MUCH but that doesnt change the fact that the odds are not in his favor to rise out of poverty. Thats the issue we need to look at. Not what theyre doing once theyre poor but whats the reason the vast majority of these people are staying poverty FOR GENERATIONS.

Last edited:
again OUTLIERS. its not impossible to break the cycle but the stars damn near have to align for it to happen even with hard work. personal responsibility is relative to your situation and your circumstances. That doesnt change the fact that the odds are stacked against Terrence and people like him. You guys can say he shouldnt have kids, or he shouldnt have stayed at mcdonalds but the fact of the matter is he would still be poor, and statistically he would remain that way. Sure he wouldnt be struggling AS MUCH but that doesnt change the fact that the odds are not in his favor to rise out of poverty. Thats the issue we need to look at. Not what theyre doing once theyre poor but whats the reason the vast majority of these people are staying poverty FOR GENERATIONS.

personal accountability is relative to you?

whoa.

ok.

my man said the STARS have to align to break free from poverty. LOL!

welp in that case give them $15

hell, give them $20....$35, $50 **** it.

personal accountability is relative to you?

whoa.

ok.

my man said the STARS have to align to break free from poverty. LOL!

welp in that case give them $15

hell, give them $20....$35, $50 **** it.
personal accountability is relative to your situation. as in youre have to live with the cards your dealt and based on your own experiences and the experiences of those around you. 

how many times have you heard story of someone who rose to success from poverty and they had that one influence or turning point in their lives? whether it was a teacher or a coach that took special interest, or a parent that emphasized the importance of education and making it out? and there are kids that grow up with none of that at all. I have a friend that teaches at a school in philadelphia where some class rooms dont even have enough books to go around let alone teachers that care and parent that wont even bother to show up to a parent teacher conference. Thats a reality for so much of the poor and that shapes who you become. Thats what i meant by the stars aligning. Thanks for not even making an attempt to understand what I was trying to say to push your own narrative.

Its not just about giving people a higher wage (which intern brings money to the area via taxes) its about giving people the opportunity to succeed and to know how to recognize opportunity when it comes and how to make the most of it. 

Last edited:
personal accountability is relative to your situation. as in youre have to live with the cards your dealt and based on your own experiences and the experiences of those around you. 
no, sir.

i think you need to lookup the definition of personal accountability

there is no subsitute
and nothing you can add to personal accountability

either you are willing to be held accountable for YOUR actions
or you arent.

the 'WHY' you chose those options is a whole nother conversation

how many times have you heard story of someone who rose to success from poverty and they had that one influence or turning point in their lives? whether it was a teacher or a coach that took special interest, or a parent that emphasized the importance of education and making it out? and there are kids that grow up with none of that at all. I have a friend that teaches at a school in philadelphia where some class rooms dont even have enough books to go around let alone teachers that care and parent that wont even bother to show up to a parent teacher conference. Thats a reality for so much of the poor and that shapes who you become. Thats what i meant by the stars aligning. Thanks for not even making an attempt to understand what I was trying to say to push your own narrative.

im amused at your need to keep trying to paint this vivid picture for me as if i didnt grow up faced with these exact same obstacles.

please, go on.

Its not just about giving people a higher wage (which intern brings money to the area via taxes) its about giving people the opportunity to succeed and to know how to recognize opportunity when it comes and how to make the most of it. 

....and giving them a higher wage helps accomplish this goal?

no, sir.

there is no subsitute

or you arent.

im amused at your need to keep trying to paint this vivid picture for me as if i didnt grow up faced with these exact same obstacles.

please, go on.

You ever try teaching accountability to someone struggling in life bruh ?? Good luck with that... Appreciation/gratification will always help others see what potential they have and help them be more accountable.

no, sir.

there is no subsitute

or you arent.

please, go on.

if the "Why" is another conversation, why bring up personal accountability to begin with? you want it to be cut and dry but its not. people make different choices under different circumstances. Im not saying that he isnt responsible for his choices, im saying that given the circumstances he is in MANY make the same types of choices. Why is that? You cant fix a damn thing if you don't understand why and how its broken.

I'm not trying to paint a picture. I'm trying to clearly state my claim in a way that you cant misinterpret what I'm trying to say and misrepresent it to others, like you did previously.

And I'm glad you made it out of that situation, I am genuinely happy for you. So since you did it everyone should be able to do it right?  The old pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Again, I'm going to point out that statistically you are in the minority. 70% of people still won't make it out of poverty. Whether theyre working hard or relying on the state to give them handouts. 

Why increase minimum wage? simply because it is expensive to be poor. When people arent worried about paying rent, or keeping the lights on, or feeding their kids because they arent making enough, maybe then they can focus on bettering themselves or making better decisions. Also I said earlier that people are a product of their environment, well generally the more citizens make the better their environment is, ie better education systems. 

Last edited:

hmm,

then what?

does it ever?

Not around here, at least not for some people.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/07/millennials-with-rich-parents/398501/

"Millennials Who Are Thriving Financially Have One Thing in Common
… Rich parents."

http://qz.com/455109/entrepreneurs-...-for-risk-they-come-from-families-with-money/

"But what often gets lost in these conversations is that the most common shared trait among entrepreneurs is access to financial capital—family money, an inheritance, or a pedigree and connections that allow for access to financial stability. While it seems that entrepreneurs tend to have an admirable penchant for risk, it’s usually that access to money which allows them to take risks."

Last edited:

this is fine but he hasn't even tried 

20 yrs of flipping burgers with 3 kids and now he complains

stop making excuses for this uninspired lazy fast food bum

Last edited:

this is fine but he hasn't even tried 

20 yrs of flipping burgers with 3 kids and now he complains

stop making excuses for this uninspired lazy fast food bum
well then fine, lets not make him the poster child but everything else still stands and things still need to change.

Back
Top Bottom