Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | A Hideo Kojima Game

Is Keifer Sutherland really voicing Snake, Ishmael and Miller ( assuming that dude is Miller) though?

I dunno... Found it very odd that almost every speaking part in the footage today was voiced by Jack Bauer. Could be alluding to something in the story if they're all the same voice.

Young Pyscho Mantis was clearly messing with his head a fresh out of a Coma Big Boss places in a siege of Mother base .He is probably all types of messed up and emotionally distraught .

Not even going to bother speculating on the story until I play. Reading this thread and watching the trailer has me very confused.

Anywho, this Fox Engine is no joke. How in the world is this running on a PS3?

No David Hayter man....
frown.gif
Richard Doyle was gonna need to take over eventually. I'm thinking Hayter is going to do the young Solid Snake's voice though...

So excited for this game. Yet I'm so confused by the story every time a new joint drops lol.

I need to sit down for a few hours and rehash the older game's storylines. Anyone got any links to somewhere online that has good resources for doing this? I love the games, but I'd probably enjoy them a lot more if I was sure about who is who and how they relate to the other characters.

the mgs wiki

or you can watch playthroughs on youtube

I don't know the entire story of MG off the top of my head so I dunno if this would even fit. But I can see this following the story of Big Boss through the times when he fights Solid Snake. Which would explain why they didn't use David Hayter. That time when you meet Solid Snake wouldn't be as cool if he pops up... and he has the same voice as the character you've been playing as all game.

I don't know the entire story of MG off the top of my head so I dunno if this would even fit. But I can see this following the story of Big Boss through the times when he fights Solid Snake. Which would explain why they didn't use David Hayter. That time when you meet Solid Snake wouldn't be as cool if he pops up... and he has the same voice as the character you've been playing as all game.
Ground Zeros is 10 days after Peacewalker, and then Big Boss falls into a coma for 9 years.

1974 + 9 = 1983.

The first Metal Gear takes place in 1995. MG2 in 1999.

They could do it but I doubt. They'll remake the first two and have their own releases.

It'd be kinda awkward having both characters sound the same, and when Big Boss was in MGS4 he was voiced by Richard Doyle. Hayter will most definitely be voicing the young Solid Snake.

Last edited:
[h1]Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain – All In Big Boss’ Head?[/h1]
Mar 27
.post-date
Posted by janhutchings
.post-info clear-block"

Earlier today Hideo Kojima headed up a GDC presentation - Photorealism Through the Eyes of a FOX: The Core of Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes. At some point during the presentation, the world stood in awe as Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was revealed. Sporting Kojima Productions’ next-generation FOX engine, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain tells a story of FOX vs. XOF, the fall of the MSF’s Mother Base, and the battle with a new, deadly enemy army.

The ensuing battle costs Big Boss (and Kaz Miller) many of their friends and comrades and almost kills them. Big Boss, was revived thankfully but lays in a coma for years. Nine years later he wakes up and The Phantom Pain truly begins. It looks and feels like a journey in Big Boss’ subconscious, with monstrous creatures, larger-than-life enemies, and even a horseman of the apocalypse-type pursuer.

The Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer begs the question, is this all in Big Boss’ head?

The fall of Mother Base.

Before you call me crazy, let’s look at the Metal Gear Solid timeline. In MGS4, Big Boss is revealed at the end and if you’ll notice that he actually moves his fingers, makes a fist, and even uses his left arm like he hadn’t lost it in battle. However, in The Phantom Pain, Boss wakes up from the coma and realizes that his left arm has been replaced by a prosthetic (with attached hook). He even uses the prosthetic to prop up his shotgun during the chase scene with the flaming horse rider.

As well, Big Boss is known to have freaky, almost lucid dreams like the one he had in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Remember? The one with vampires in it? The dream takes place in a large warehouse where Snake’s character (whom fans have dubbed Guy Savage) uses his double hook blades to kill zombie-like enemies in order to transform into a monster himself. The more he kills, and the more brutal the kills, the more his hair turns from brown to white and the more feral he becomes.

Big Boss almost dies and falls into a coma in MGS V.

The Metal Gear Solid games have long since straddled a balance between realistic and surrealistic. Mixing true-to-life combat moves, weapons, and real-world threats with the crazy mechs and some super powers. The Phantom Pain however, goes way over the series norm for crazy and includes monstrous fire-soaked whales (that floats in the sky) and the aforementioned flaming horseman. It looks to me like this adventure is Big Boss’ internal struggle to survive and to awake from the coma. The Phantom Pain in it’s entirety could be us playing through that internal struggle.

Another possibility is that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes lays the ground work towards the story in The Phantom  Pain. If you’ll look at Big Boss in the first few moments of the trailer, it looks like he’s at the same point as he and his MSF army in Ground Zeroes,  ending the game with MSF’s Mother Base getting destroyed by the XOF. This loss then opens up MGS V with Boss waking from his coma into a brand new reality – an alternate take on the MGS timeline.

A flaming horseman? How much crazier can The Phantom Pain get?

Now an alternate Metal Gear universe/timeline might work for these brand new games. Think about it, Kojima and crew can basically create a new timeline and not be shackled or held down having to retcon every single plot thread to make it fit into the timeline established in the earlier canon. With Big Boss, we already know that he’ll survive for a very long time until his final meeting with Old Snake at the end of MGS 4. Imagine the amount of tension it’ll create if this new alternate Metal Gear reality – Starting with The Phantom Pain – can convince the player that Big Boss can actually die at any time in this new timeline, to be replaced by a new central character in later installments. Kind of like how Metal Gear Rising tells a fresh tale in the MG universe, The Phantom Pain could wipe the slate clean and begin the franchise anew.

Or perhaps the trailer is something meant to confuse us and to hide the true story behind Metal Gear Solid V. Remember, Hideo Kojima is known for his bait-and-switch from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Regarding Kojima Productions games, I think “Experience Everything, Believe Nothing” sounds like a good way to take his trailers and teasers, because you’ll never know what to expect from the final, retail copy.

What do you think? Do you take Kojima’s Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer at face value or do you think there’s more to the game than that?

Then again Big Boss is always wearing his trench coat and gloves. Kojima could explain that in MG/MG2 the game couldn't render his prosthetic.

And remember he was made from parts from Liquid and Solidus after he was "killed" by Snake.

So we can assume BB in MGS4 has both arms.

As well, Big Boss is known to have freaky, almost lucid dreams like the one he had in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Remember? The one with vampires in it? The dream takes place in a large warehouse where Snake’s character (whom fans have dubbed Guy Savage) uses his double hook blades to kill zombie-like enemies in order to transform into a monster himself. The more he kills, and the more brutal the kills, the more his hair turns from brown to white and the more feral he becomes.

what??? when did that happen?

i remember the river strange sequence but nuthing like that

lol yeah i forgot about that.  you cant even continue back to the game until dude dies

Then again Big Boss is always wearing his trench coat and gloves. Kojima could explain that in MG/MG2 the game couldn't render his prosthetic.

And remember he was made from parts from Liquid and Solidus after he was "killed" by Snake.

So we can assume BB in MGS4 has both arms.
That makes sense. I really cant wait to see how this part of the story folds out

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Guy_Savage

It's mini game that happens when Snake was in Prison

Last edited:
Without Hayter, I'd like the option to switch to the Japanese VA. Japanese snake sounds like a bad ***.

I just realized something. All that work I put in to building Mother Base up to it's full potential in Peace Walker was for nothing now. There goes all those hours I put into that game. :smh: :lol:

Side note:
His new prosthetic arm looks just like Zadornov's arm from Peace Walker.

I want see a passing mention to the Les Enfants Terribles, if only a quick codec convo.

Solidus was after Liquid and Solid so he's out. Although the fact he idolizes the man without meeting him is a bit strange (doubly for Liquid hating BB so much)

Also I'm pretty sure the man on horseback is Ocelot.

MGS3

MGS2

MGS4

MGS5: Phantom Pain

13 yr old Psycho Mantis is interesting. Alot of people were unsure of his inclusion (even though he looked spot on like him) because of the age (everyone thinking the game was taking place in 1974, Mantis being born 1970).

Is Zero behind everything? Mantis under his influence? Or is the "burned" man someone completely new character?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom