MICHAEL JORDAN ELECTED TO 2009 HALL OF FAME CLASS!!! CONGRATS TO THE GOAT!!!

Originally Posted by endemic415

d82154efbf54754e3b462164ea08b9396aee576.jpg

congrats

but i heard you're cheap as hell

Congrats
roll.gif

mike would have been made it if he didnt keep comming back but he is the best player of his time

Damn Im hella happy I got to see His Airness play in the 90's. Gotta thank my pops fer watching because I wouldve been too young to understand NBA backthen. Congrats MJ, G.O.A.T.

congrats to the GOAT no doubt...always cherish the days i saw him play in chicago and here in toronto...hopefully this will give JB ideas of dropping qualityon us instead the things we've had to endure for the recent years

Originally Posted by d3772000

Nice Post...

Def looking foward to a "NICE"!!!! HOM Pack (had to make a point to say nice wit somma da crap thats been droppin)

nice

Since 1985, a year after he entered the league, they reserved a spot for him.. I'm glad this day has come!!! Good post.. Very informative.. Now I'mwaiting for Charles Barkley, Isaiah Thomas and Dominique Wilkens!!!

Originally Posted by OGFreshReady

Since 1985, a year after he entered the league, they reserved a spot for him.. I'm glad this day has come!!! Good post.. Very informative.. Now I'm waiting for Charles Barkley, Isaiah Thomas and Dominique Wilkens!!!
Um..

Isiah has been in since 2000.
Nique's been in since 2006.
Barkley's been in sice 2006.

Not sure what youre talking about...

Hall of Fame opens its doors to greatest ever................

Michael Jordan delivered the blueprint for the modern, iconic athlete. He didn't just transcend basketball, but American sport. Tiger Woods gets comparedfar more with Jordan than he does Jack Nicklaus. Basketball hasn't been alone searching for the next Jordan. As it turns out, so is everything else thatuses a scoreboard.

Jordan taught sports how to pursue championships with ferocity and flair, style and grace. He always treated Sacramento in February like he did Madison SquareGarden in the playoffs. Jordan was an industry, a movement, a happening. As much as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James chase each other, they also chase Jordan'slegend.

On Monday, the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame welcomed Jordan as an elected member. Hours before his North Carolina Tar Heels play Michigan State for theNCAA title in Detroit, Jordan was introduced with the class of 2009 at a news conference.

They shouldn't just give Jordan a plaque in Springfield, Mass., they should give him a wing. Truth be told, they should've let John Stockton and DavidRobinson and Jerry Sloan wait one year. They should've let Jordan into Springfield alone. He is too big to share a stage, his legacy too immense to beshared with Vivian Stringer.

The Basketball Hall of Fame is too political of a place. The voting belongs to insiders and the membership reflects it. The Hall of Fame should be forgreatness and dominance, not the politically connected. It's an insult to Jordan to have to share that shrine with faceless administrators and clownish TVhacks. Nevertheless, Jordan delivers a dose of credibility to sports' most flawed Hall.

"I'm guessing the vote was unanimous," Tim Grover said with a laugh on his cell phone Sunday.

Grover is the famous fitness guru out of Chicago, whom Jordan trusted with his most vital commodity: his body. Grover has a gym there, where he worked outballplayers, but Jordan changed everything for him. When everyone else was gone - the adoring throng, the players, the press - there was Jordan and Grover.Sometimes, they were at Grover's gym. Sometimes, they were on the road. Always, they were together. No other basketball player made a generation understandthat greatness was an around-the-clock, around-the-calendar job.

"Michael would go for 40 or 50 points one night, and the next morning he was right back at it in practice," Grover said. "He just couldn'ttake a day off. His mental toughness was unbelievable, but the reason was that he was so physically ready every day. He used to have a saying, 'I practiceso hard because that makes the games easy for me.' "

Jordan's legacy are the talents he spawned: Kobe, LeBron and Dwyane Wade. The next generation is so directly linked to Jordan, so influenced. Groverhappened to be in Los Angeles on Sunday visiting Bryant, whom he's called a client for several years now. The most direct descendent of Jordan on theplanet, Bryant emulates him in every way: from his game, to his obsessive need for dominance, to his speech inflection.

Grover happened to be traveling with Bryant when he broke Jordan's visiting scoring record at Madison Square Garden in February. Kobe dropped 61 on theKnicks, had a 2½-hour meeting with Spike Lee about a documentary in a hotel suite afterward, and wouldn't you know it: "Kobe was back in the gym at7:30 that next morning with me," Grover said. "That's the mental toughness that Michael had. They just always feel like that if I don't workout, I just won't feel right. Something will be missing in my day."

Basketball is blessed with Kobe and LeBron and D-Wade, but Jordan remains a singular talent, a phenomenon, a generational happening. He was a confluence ofevents, a post Magic-Bird perfect storm for the NBA. The Hall of Fame will have a plaque that tells the pertinent facts: six NBA titles, five MVPs and 32,292points.

Funny, but those things don't stay with his old trainer the way the feeling of Jordan does.

"The one thing that I haven't seen from anyone else yet is the sense that people felt on a day there was a game in Chicago," Grover said."People would start to get excited at 7 and 8 in the morning. It didn't matter if you were going to be in the arena for the game. People would want tosee Michael on the expressway to the arena. Just to see him walk into the building, people would flock to come watch. They would be waiting outside andthinking, 'What's he going to be driving? How's he going to look?'

"They just wanted a glimpse. It was an unbelievable show."

Michael Jordan goes into Springfield in September, and maybe they shouldn't just give him a plaque - or even a wing. They should turn the whole buildingover to him. For one night, anyway, that should've been the plan. No shrine could ever do justice to his genius. You just had to be there.

Back
Top Bottom