Michael Jordan is not the best basketball player of all time! Yup i said it

First off, there is no such thing as the greatest basketball player of all time. When you get into that discussion, you start to cross generations, and era's, and that is completely unfair.

Mike never had to go up against Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, etc. neither did Magic Johnson

But those guys didn't have to go up against Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Clyde Drexler, Malone & Stockton in their hay-day, Kareem, etc.

Oscar Robertson never went up against ball players like Lebron, Kobe Bryant, and some of the best players of today.

My point is, its entirely too hard to try to compare players, let alone from different eras. Opinions start to come into play, rather than facts. Today's NBA features several players to me that, are better than players from the past, but that's just my opinion. From my point of view, Oscar Roberson, and his era couldn't hold a handle to Kobe Bryant being isolated on the wing, or Lebron on a fast break, but that's just me.

But back to the point, Michael Jordan to me is better than Magic Johnson. Jordan was more versatile on the floor and could do more things offensively and defensively than Magic Johnson. Magic was rolling with Hall of Fame crews back in his prime and the byron scotts and the Michael Coopers of the world, same can't be said about Mike imo, but to each its own. Everything Magic can do, Jordan can do, and better.

But this goes back to my point, who's better out of mike and magic is irrelevant, because if not now, in a couple of years kobe bryant can be thrown into this discussion as being better than both of these guys, and i'm sure people will say pete maravich, Wilt, Kareem, Oscar, etc. can be considered to be the best basketball player of all time as well.

So Mike is better than Magic to me, but that doesn't make him the greatest basketball player of all time. No One is.

Magic being the GOAT is acceptable.. I thought this was going to be another 90s babies ignore worthy comment.

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Nada
Nada
Nada
LOL QUE?

Nah, let me stop.
laugh.gif

Wait. He went from Magic being the best to Oscar Robertson in less than an hour...? Did I miss something?

So who's it gonna be tomorrow?

First off, there is no such thing as the greatest basketball player of all time. When you get into that discussion, you start to cross generations, and era's, and that is completely unfair.

Mike never had to go up against Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, etc. neither did Magic Johnson

But those guys didn't have to go up against Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Clyde Drexler, Malone & Stockton in their hay-day, Kareem, etc.

Oscar Robertson never went up against ball players like Lebron, Kobe Bryant, and some of the best players of today.

My point is, its entirely too hard to try to compare players, let alone from different eras. Opinions start to come into play, rather than facts. Today's NBA features several players to me that, are better than players from the past, but that's just my opinion. From my point of view, Oscar Roberson, and his era couldn't hold a handle to Kobe Bryant being isolated on the wing, or Lebron on a fast break, but that's just me.

But back to the point, Michael Jordan to me is better than Magic Johnson. Jordan was more versatile on the floor and could do more things offensively and defensively than Magic Johnson. Magic was rolling with Hall of Fame crews back in his prime and the byron scotts and the Michael Coopers of the world, same can't be said about Mike imo, but to each its own. Everything Magic can do, Jordan can do, and better.

But this goes back to my point, who's better out of mike and magic is irrelevant, because if not now, in a couple of years kobe bryant can be thrown into this discussion as being better than both of these guys, and i'm sure people will say pete maravich, Wilt, Kareem, Oscar, etc. can be considered to be the best basketball player of all time as well.

So Mike is better than Magic to me, but that doesn't make him the greatest basketball player of all time. No One is.

This. QFT. QFE. Co-sign, etc.

op in case you didn't know, this is niketalk. your not allowed to have an opinion on someone being better then 75% of niketalks idol.

while i think mike is the best player of all time, you can easily make a legit argument in the case of a guy like magic, oscar robinson, bill russell, etc. but remember this is niketalk, michael jordan is considered a god here, he could donkey punch some niketalkers moms and sput in their face while wearing his lay flat hanes t-shirt and those same niketalkers would line up the next morning and cop the infared pack.

Shoe king, u said Jordan could do ANYTHING Magic could do but better.

I hope ANYTHING doesnt include PASSING or REBOUNDING.

Originally Posted by MJsaver

ok, maybeeee rebounding but Magic is 3 inches taller than him, but I believe that Magic gets reveared for his passing because he was passing to really good players man. IMO, Magic could pass most definately, a spectacular passer at that. But give me Michael Jordan's ability to get in the paint and make plays, put that ability with Kareem, and Worthy and Scott on the break or give me Mike's ability to break the defense down(Which I think he does better than Magic, mostly do to his athletic ability) and kick it to Cooper for a 3, I most definately think mike would be reveared as the greater passer. His ability to create is what makes him a better passer to me than Magic.

Obviously Magic was an outstanding, elite passer... but who was he passing to? Guys that have their jerseys in the rafters, names on HOF plaques. Can MJ say the same, besides Pip? Who was he passing to?

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Obviously Magic was an outstanding, elite passer... but who was he passing to? Guys that have their jerseys in the rafters, names on HOF plaques. Can MJ say the same, besides Pip? Who was he passing to?
Came in here to say this...Magic was playing with a HOF squad.

OP completely forgets the fact that Jordan has the most All Defensive Teams made of all time, and Magic was in Steve Nash territory.

laugh.gif
at this thread.

Originally Posted by dland24

OP completely forgets the fact that Jordan has the most All Defensive Teams made of all time, and Magic was in Steve Nash territory.

laugh.gif
at this thread.

You should never put Magic and Steve Nash in the same sentence

Originally Posted by anygivensunday

Originally Posted by dland24

laugh.gif
at this thread.

You should never put Magic and Steve Nash in the same sentence

Why not?(Playing Devil's Advocate)

i've been saying this to my group of friends... they say that because i started watching basketball late (around 2001 or 2002) that i wasn't able to appreciate his game.

well, i've seen a lot of NBA classics, a lot of MJ videos and everything... i appreciate his game and what he's done, but he's not the greatest player to play the game.

of course that's just my opinion.

ok, maybeeee rebounding but Magic is 3 inches taller than him, but I believe that Magic gets reveared for his passing because he was passing to really good players man. IMO, Magic could pass most definately, a spectacular passer at that. But give me Michael Jordan's ability to get in the paint and make plays, put that ability with Kareem, and Worthy and Scott on the break or give me Mike's ability to break the defense down(Which I think he does better than Magic, mostly do to his athletic ability) and kick it to Cooper for a 3, I most definately think mike would be reveared as the greater passer. His ability to create is what makes him a better passer to me than Magic.

Dog, are u SERIOUSLY trying to argue that Mike is near or even a Better passer than Magic johnson??

You cant be serious, that just shows how blinded some dudes are..

Its not even close, and stop with that if this guy played with those guys arguments....That holds no water..

You could put MJ with whatever team u want, he still couldnt avg 15 assts in a season...Which Magic did TWICE.

ummmm........

Kareem and Worthy.

Compare that to Pippen and...........??????????? (a few years w/) Rodman???

It's not even close.

I'm not even going to go into the fact that Jordan could dominate games (for short but effective) periods of time at will.

He mind +!$%@+ the opposition on a routine basis.

^^

Im not arguing about the player...I think MJ was better.

That doesnt mean he was better than Magic at every facet of the game.

Mj was a Scorer Magic was a Passer, those were their strengths...( to put it simply)

You put MJ with Kareem & Worthy, of course he would get a couple more assists per.

But if you think could put MJ with those guys and he'd avg 15 assts or run the Showtime Fastbreak like Magic, youre wrong.

Dog, are u SERIOUSLY trying to argue that Mike is near or even a Better passer than Magic johnson??

You cant be serious, that just shows how blinded some dudes are..

Its not even close, and stop with that if this guy played with those guys arguments....That holds no water..

You could put MJ with whatever team u want, he still couldnt avg 15 assts in a season...Which Magic did TWICE.

You don't know that though. What we do know is that Magic was passing the ball to Hall of fame guys like Worthy and that one guy that scored over 30,000 points in his career. Hell, if you're a 6'9 PG with skills, and have cooper spotting up, Scott running the wing, thompson finishing on the inside, Macadoo was there, I mean if one were to average 15 assist, that would be the perfect team to do so with. That is not to say that averaging 15 assist isn't a spectacular achievement, but that team was perfect for magic to do that feat with. 

and you said its not even close, why isn't it close? Mike is a damn good passer, extremely underrated passer at that. IMO Mike was just a victim of his ability to score so easily and he was also a victim of his teammates not being nearly as good Magic's. Like I said before, Mike's ability to create would allow him to put up phenomonal assist numbers if his scoring ability was on magic's level and his teammates were on magic's level if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Jordan never played any legit teams in the finals.

a team with stockton and malone isn't a legit team?
eek.gif
anyway in the ECF he was playing great teams. and was getting physically abused while doing it too. still came out winning,

and those bulls would demolish the lakers of the last 3 years.

These arguments are pointless. they both play different positions, and dominate different categories.

How are you supposed to compare apples and oranges? You cant.

They're both GREAT players that have ever touched a ball however, and thats undisputed.

Back
Top Bottom