Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie (Reboot Announced)

In a separate interview with Nuke The Fridge, Cranston explained why he decided to return to the franchise: "Yeah… I did voices. Dubbing voices for POWER RANGERS the series 35 years ago. But I can tell you… I would NOT have accepted the role if it was not for the script being so good. They have completely changed the tone. It is not the television series at all. It’s a fully realized updated reimagined approach to telling this SUPERHERO story. I haven’t done a superhero story and I was intrigued. I think this sounds interesting. Let’s try it!"

Well we had the happy go luck constant happy ending **** with movies for decades. Lets go with the opposite for a bit.

That one short that director did wasn't bad at all.

Last edited:
I don't mind the movie being serious but with flashes of light tone.

I will hate it if they go out of their way to make this movie dark and grungy and emo

The calling card of the show is optimism and that shouldn't change.

Still anticipating this movie more than any movie left to watch in summer 2016

Last edited:
Well we had the happy go luck constant happy ending **** with movies for decades. Lets go with the opposite for a bit.

That one short that director did wasn't bad at all.

Had my man Zack snorting coke and having threesomes with Scorpina :lol:

Last edited:
im not gonna knock it till I see it. I'm curious to see how it turns out, if i wanted the old cheesy style mmpr movie there's already one in existence.

The MMPR movies weren't as nonsensical as the TV show. They still took themselves seriously. I think something between Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men: First Class would be a good tone for Power Rangers. As long as it's not dreary.

I couldn't eem watch MMPR sitting down. Once I heard the electric guitar and saw them fight the Putty Patrollers, I was on my feet shadowboxing with them. :pimp:

I don't mind the movie being serious but with flashes of light tone.

I will hate it if they go out of their way to make this movie dark and grungy and emo

The calling card of the show is optimism and that shouldn't change.

Still anticipating this movie more than any movie left to watch in summer 2016
Dark, grungy, and emo isn't the same thing as dark, gritty and grim.

The difference between Sin City and Twilight.

Last edited:
Probably would have TDK and TDKR rises theme to it mixed with Avengers type of humor. That's what I'm getting on honestly.

Dark, grungy and emo

Dark, gritty and grim

Either way. Do not want. :lol:

Just does not fit the Power Rangers, for me.

I will be so sad if they can't get the spirit of the Power Rangers right.

That you can't or flippantly don't care about the difference makes me think your aversion to it isn't from an informed stance.

**** the spirit of the power rangers. This is easily one of those times where I wouldn't mind if they did something radically different.

There's like a thousand Power Ranger episodes and a half dozen movies capturing the spirit of PR. Watch that or wait for yet another version of PR to come out. We really don't need another after school special youth empowerment movie.

Probably would have TDK and TDKR rises theme to it mixed with Avengers type of humor. That's what I'm getting on honestly.
Now that sounds like a great compromise.

I do expect hunor.

I wonder if a new Bulk & Skull have been cast? :nerd:

Last edited:
That you can't or flippantly don't care about the difference makes me think your aversion to it isn't from an informed stance.

**** the spirit of the power rangers. This is easily one of those times where I wouldn't mind if they did something radically different.

There's like a thousand Power Ranger episodes and a half dozen movies capturing the spirit of PR. Watch that or wait for yet another version of PR to come out. We really don't need another after school special youth empowerment movie.
Now that sounds like a great compromise.

I do expect hunor.

I wonder if a new Bulk & Skull have been cast? :nerd:

James Franco as Skull
Seth Rogen as Bulk

Or

Michael Cera/Channing Tatum as Skull
Jonah Hill as Bulk.

Jokes. Lmao.

If you really think about the Power Rangers was really messed up. Can you imagine as a teenager, you were pretty much forced to fight an intergalactic war every day, watching monsters grow into giants, having to always be aware of your surroundings because of sneak attacks while still having to go to school. Zordon had them on some high quality alien percs.

It's an iconic franchise that people grew up with that goes back 20+ years. You start messing with it too much and people will care. It's the difference between Dragon Ball: Evolution and Harry Potter.

Sometimes longtime diehard fans aren't happy with the portrayal and feel the movies aren't faithful, but they still succeed like Transformers and Star Trek (2009). Other times it ends up costing the studios a lot of money. If they want to edgy and sexy it up, why don't they come up with an original idea? Nah, this is Hollywood exploiting popular franchises because they've run out of ideas.

Also, Power Rangers fell off as it went on too long and there's only been 2 theatrical films.

There's like 20 years of the Power Rangers so I'm sure they might've veered from the original formula in that time at one point or the other. I'm just talking about the spirit of the Power Rangers I remember best.

I'm not interesting in Hollywood making this movie dark and gritty or emo or grungy or whatever. I'm sorry.

A youth empowerment after school special as you put it, shouldn't be too far from its goals. Not to say that the movie shouldn't take itself more seriously if it wants to, and that it has to be exactly like what I remember with the campy humor and cornyness.

But there's taking yourself more seriously and then there's going for a TDK/BvS tone or a similar tone which I consider to be off base from what PR should strive for...which if they do the latter I'm going to be terribly disgusted.

*edit

Oh you're not saying that there are versions of the PR that are darker than the original. You're just saying that if I want something that captures its spirit then just watch anything from the last twenty years :lol:

Lol what.

You don't sound like a fan at all, after rereading your post. You said F what they been doing for forever. I want something different.

Last edited:
I was only a fan of the OG, maybe Neo/Zeo, didn't care for Turbo and liked one other version I think In Space. The last era I liked was probably Jason returning as the gold ranger and Tommy managed to have white and red PR powers.

That was when I was young. I grew out of the campyness. Especially when I realized they just kept on milking this **** over and over every 5 years with a new cast and a new version of reject putties and boss villains.

Like I said there's decades of episodes and movies capturing that spirit. Of you want to actually make money with a movie today you're gonna have to change. Be a little more modern and update your style.

A Power Rangers movie that's no different than the show as a movie is gonna be no better than these other desperate Hollywood attempts to make cash off of shows and movies we grow up with; TMNT, Transformers, MOTU, Ghostbusters, probably Biker Mice from Mars eventually.

We got different views on this if you just want more of the same cuz of nostalgia and if it isn't to your tastes and others that's just fine. Every fans idea of how a movie should be done ain't always the best way to go.

It's an iconic franchise that people grew up with that goes back 20+ years. You start messing with it too much and people will care. It's the difference between Dragon Ball: Evolution and Harry Potter.

Sometimes longtime diehard fans aren't happy with the portrayal and feel the movies aren't faithful, but they still succeed like Transformers and Star Trek (2009). Other times it ends up costing the studios a lot of money. If they want to edgy and sexy it up, why don't they come up with an original idea? Nah, this is Hollywood exploiting popular franchises because they've run out of ideas.

Also, Power Rangers fell off as it went on too long and there's only been 2 theatrical films.
This new timeline of Star Trek movies is still faithful to ST lore. I'm a big ST fan. The issue with Trekkies is it's way more focused on action and not the moral and philosiphical themes and sci-fi trappings of the show and past movies. Plus the sequel was a rehash (directed by JJ Abrams).

Dragon ball was gonna suck once you saw the cast. I ain't even really watch all that movie and you know it was gonna be trash.

I'd much rather PR be different in the way Start Trek is than DB. Harry Potter is completely different cuz it's a ******* series of books.

The reason they don't do an original movie is for the reasons you stated; 20 years of establishing itself, a built in generation over 2 maybe 3 generations, and most of the stories, concepts, and ideas are already made for them. Then it's just about adapting and updating. If they want to do a more mature version that's just fine.

Yes Hollywood are exploiting these shows and movies and they'll do that regardless but they can do that and still make good and even great movies. Its the difference between Star Trek and TMNT. I'll watch Beyond but I ain't watching the turtles remake and won't watch the sequel.

I kinda assumed they did a few more movies but I only saw the one I think and stopped watching cuz the show fell off and just became reptititve drivel. Thing is the reason PR "fell off" is cuz it just stayed the same just with different versions and a new boss villain. Its no different than how Pokemon and Yugi-Oh got milked. No evolution, no nuances, just going through the motions. No reason I'd want a feature film version of that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom