Mike Greenberg thinks the NFL will fold in under 30 years

Anyone hear this clown this morning? He needs to be moved to ESPN Figure Skating

When he's not talking about the Jets 95% of the time he's making stupid assumptions

You could tell Jaws and Golic were just like ****

:lol: :smh:

Football isn't going anywhere, it's the number 1 sport in America by a large margin.

This is the closest thing we have to modern day gladiators and you think the public is gonna stop watching?

Yea ok :lol:

He wasn't talking about people watching, he was insinuating the demise of the league because parents aren't going to let their kids play. It also doesn't help that the President himself said if he had a son he wouldn't let him play. NFL has an image issue big time.

Yea but people watching means the league is still going to thrive because those fans WILL allow their kids to play.

For every one parent that won't let their kid play. There is 20(even more) others that will
It's fine.
Plus the game will get more safe as time goes on with better equipment. Who knows what the helmets will be able to protect in 30 years

Last edited:
:lol:

NFL ain't going anywhere. It's a billion dollar business. Look, I do feel bad about the injuries suffered by many of hte guys who played. However, it was THEIR choice to play the sport. There are hazards involved.

If you are a coal miner, there's a chance you'll have issues w. your lungs or get trapped due to the nature of the job. You know the risks going in.

No matter what people think of the head injuries etc., there will ALWAYS be kids, teens, grown men who will play this sport.

For every one parent that won't let their kid play. There is 20(even more) others that will

BINGO.

Last edited:
What college kid is gonna be like...

"My parents don't want me to play in the NFL, I guess I'll take that 9-5 for $40k"

I was saying it last year as well. You may not think it will "die" but the NFL as we know it, will be no more before we all die.

Just wait.

We're only now dealing with dudes from the 70's and into the 80's fallin apart, and the game was less fast/violent than it was in the 90's and 00's. Seau was only the beginning.

The day WILL come when an even bigger, more prominent name than Seau will have something horrible happen, and then the NFL will come under even more scrutiny, more bad pub.

The first kick backs will come in the form of sponsors, and if they lose any of those, and another one falls, etc etc........

Greenie may be a bit over the top, but his thought process is dead on. It will come.

Exactly...and what about college football players? These guys are going war and not even receiving any compensation for their effort.

Boxing once ruled America...Where is boxing now? A lot of people saying football is untouchable are living in the moment and not realizing that some sort of shift in popularity will happen eventually for the worse.

never say never . . . A LOT can happen culturally in the US and in the rest of the world in 30 years.

You guys ever hear of boxing? Because the same thing essentially happened....

It was GIGAAAAANTIC

It'll never fold (unless they take unprecedented hits from lawsuits) but it might not be as popular in 30 years. And the rules might be extremely differant and turn fans off.

Basically it very well could well be much differant in 30 years. In terms of popularity and the game itself.

Exactly...and what about college football players? These guys are going war and not even receiving any compensation for their effort.

Boxing once ruled America...Where is boxing now? A lot of people saying football is untouchable are living in the moment and not realizing that some sort of shift in popularity will happen eventually for the worse.

I didn't even think about the slave labor. I mean college kids.

I was saying it last year as well. You may not think it will "die" but the NFL as we know it, will be no more before we all die.

Just wait.

We're only now dealing with dudes from the 70's and into the 80's fallin apart, and the game was less fast/violent than it was in the 90's and 00's. Seau was only the beginning.

The day WILL come when an even bigger, more prominent name than Seau will have something horrible happen, and then the NFL will come under even more scrutiny, more bad pub.

The first kick backs will come in the form of sponsors, and if they lose any of those, and another one falls, etc etc........

Greenie may be a bit over the top, but his thought process is dead on. It will come.

QFT

You guys aren't looking at from a bigger standpoint. Greenburg isn't saying it'll die because of popularity, it's going to be in risk based off the healthy repercussions.

:lol: :smh:

Football isn't going anywhere, it's the number 1 sport in America by a large margin.

This is the closest thing we have to modern day gladiators and you think the public is gonna stop watching?

Yea ok :lol:

UFC

Bernard Pollard doesn't think the league will be around in 30 years either.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/c...ollard-nfl-really-does-stand-for-not-for-long

This basically sums it all up.

To think the NFL is "untouchable" is a bit too naive.

Like Pollard, i too am waiting for someone to die on the field. I don't wish that on anyone or hope it happens, but It wouldn't surprised me one bit if someone did die.

Every time I see those big hits and the guy doesn't move for about 10 seconds the thought always crosses my mind :x

Last edited:
Put it like this, 30 years from now the game won't be as violent as it is now. I can see the the NFL making major changes for player saftey. Some **** like only solo tackling

they are gonna remove the physicality from the gm
eliminating kickoffs is next
the gm will be around, but rules will be changed

Put it like this, 30 years from now the game won't be as violent as it is now. I can see the the NFL making major changes for player saftey. Some **** like only solo tackling

Once/if this ever happens, it will seriously jeopardize the integrity of the game.

Let's be honest here. One of the main reasons why we all love the NFL so much is because of it's violent nature. When you take that away, and basically turn this into a flag/two-hand touch league--people will lose interest. Like someone said earlier, once you lose the sponsor, you lose everything else.

Doesnt seem farfectched, who knows where the league will stand after the Goodell era

Back
Top Bottom