modern men haircuts..

Let's not turn this into a race thread. This is simply for other haircuts, simple as that.
With something like this you need to let the barber know that's what you want. It'll take a couple of cuts to get it like this though.

I started rocking the combover Junior year and got made fun of for it, a couple months later and everybody has it. :lol: Not saying I'm the first, nor do I even want credit for it, but I literally got made fun of for it. Got tired of everybody rocking it now so towards the beginning of the year I grew it out and pulled it back. I went in last week to a barber shop and I'm now rocking the pompadour. :pimp:

Anybody in the San Jose area, I HIGHLY recommend Johnny D's. Kind of expensive, but man it's an awesome shop.

http://www.johnnydsbarbershop.com/

Pics of hair. No Romo

Pics for the beasts. :pimp:

Be kind with the roasting. :lol:

We have evolved from the mirror pics. Mirror pics deserve automatic bans!!!

how long should your hair be grown to do a pompadour? and how should it be kept after you wash your hair? my hair naturally sticks up so it will be difficult to get it to go down and to the side
For a pomp you will need to at least have the front bangs of your hair reach the bridge of your nose or lower.  Depends on how high you want the pomp usually for mine I let it get to the bridge of my nose I have thick and wavy hair so anything longer makes it a high pomp which I like but its hard to maintain.  After you wash your hair I recommend combing it back as if your trying to achieve a slick back style.  It will make it easier once its longer and start applying pomade.  Now as far as pomade goes I've tried plenty while I do like traditional pomade(petroleum based) the water based pomades are the easier to wash out (obviously) however they aren't cheap.  You have to try several pomades until you achieve them pomp or style you want.  If you need recommendations based from my experience let me know.

I JUST googled what that was. It's exactly what i want. I've been letting it grow since February but they can't seem to nail it
Take a picture thats the best way to show them what you want the terminology changes from barber to barber.

We have evolved from the mirror pics. Mirror pics deserve automatic bans!!!

:lol: damn, I haven't had a chance to take any good pics. Maybe this Friday when my sister graduates from her Master's program :pimp:

how long should your hair be grown to do a pompadour? and how should it be kept after you wash your hair? my hair naturally sticks up so it will be difficult to get it to go down and to the side
For a pomp you will need to at least have the front bangs of your hair reach the bridge of your nose or lower.  Depends on how high you want the pomp usually for mine I let it get to the bridge of my nose I have thick and wavy hair so anything longer makes it a high pomp which I like but its hard to maintain.  After you wash your hair I recommend combing it back as if your trying to achieve a slick back style.  It will make it easier once its longer and start applying pomade.  Now as far as pomade goes I've tried plenty while I do like traditional pomade(petroleum based) the water based pomades are the easier to wash out (obviously) however they aren't cheap.  You have to try several pomades until you achieve them pomp or style you want.  If you need recommendations based from my experience let me know.

Word, I grew my hair out first and my bangs go down to just above my eyebrows. Gonna keep it growing though. I have crazy curly hair so I need to blow dry it to get the pompadour to stay. Also rocking a really short D.A in the back :pimp:

laugh.gif
damn, I haven't had a chance to take any good pics. Maybe this Friday when my sister graduates from her Master's program
pimp.gif

Word, I grew my hair out first and my bangs go down to just above my eyebrows. Gonna keep it growing though. I have crazy curly hair so I need to blow dry it to get the pompadour to stay. Also rocking a really short D.A in the back
pimp.gif
Water based or petroleum pomade?

i've been looking for a thread like this

i want to ditch my fauxhawk and get this
View media item 1015452

not sure how long i have to grow my hair out though
Hopefully my hair is long enough for this by mid August. I've been rocking a #2 all around for roughly a decade and think it's time to switch it up. Just gotta get used to how "metro" I'm gonna look when I actually follow through. :lol:

:lol: damn, I haven't had a chance to take any good pics. Maybe this Friday when my sister graduates from her Master's program :pimp:

Word, I grew my hair out first and my bangs go down to just above my eyebrows. Gonna keep it growing though. I have crazy curly hair so I need to blow dry it to get the pompadour to stay. Also rocking a really short D.A in the back :pimp:
Water based or petroleum pomade?

Water based for the most part. Started with that Axe one, it was decent. Not much of a fan anymore. Using the old spice one right npw cause I'm poor and couldn't afford a nicer one :lol: Once I start getting paid I'm buying a Japanese one from my barber shop, don't even know what it's called.

Murrays is decent if you're having a piece of hair be stubborn and need something to hold it down. I made the mistake of using it too much and man, I would shower, shampoo it twice, and it still looked like I was rocking it. :lol:

I've heard awesome things about CREW. It's one of the easier ones to get since you can cop at Target. If you don't mind hunting it down, I've also heard really good things about Suavecito and Layrite.

Word, I'm not one of those incredibly flashy dudes and I don't like drawing attention to myself so it does take a while to get used to it.

Go through with it though, change is good.

Lol Murray's was the worst $3.50 ever spent. It does not come off my hair no matter how much shampoo I use. Do you guys know if I need to have thick hair? @zapatohead408 your is curly right? Mine is really thin :frown:

Water based for the most part. Started with that Axe one, it was decent. Not much of a fan anymore. Using the old spice one right npw cause I'm poor and couldn't afford a nicer one
laugh.gif
Once I start getting paid I'm buying a Japanese one from my barber shop, don't even know what it's called.

Murrays is decent if you're having a piece of hair be stubborn and need something to hold it down. I made the mistake of using it too much and man, I would shower, shampoo it twice, and it still looked like I was rocking it.
laugh.gif

I've heard awesome things about CREW. It's one of the easier ones to get since you can cop at Target. If you don't mind hunting it down, I've also heard really good things about Suavecito and Layrite.
Man suavecito and Layrite are two of my favorite water based ones.  The smell is similar the hold is the same but the price aint lol.  When you get a chance try the following Imperial,JSloan,Steadfast.  Murrays is decent since its cheap for what you get and it doesn't take much to tame any type of hair its just washing it out thats a pain and running a risk of damaging your scalp if used incorrectly.

Lol Murray's was the worst $3.50 ever spent. It does not come off my hair no matter how much shampoo I use. Do you guys know if I need to have thick hair? @zapatohead408 your is curly right? Mine is really thin :frown:

I have REALLY thick and wavy hair. When I wake up it's in curls.

If you have thin hair it's even easier to shape and maintain. If I had thin hair I would've prolly gone for a more rockabilly look.

You was trying get waves with the Murray's or what? :lol:

Usually get a 4 all around in the winter but I need a decent summer cut.

haha I tried that too...I need some hair to keep me warm
tongue.gif

I still want to grow mine a lil bit longer..
You for the undercut going there.  One thing I personally dislike is the shaved in part line.   Your hair looks long enough to slick back and also have a short pomp.

Those stupid @#$ shaved parts look like surgical scars. Just part your hair to the side like a normal person if that's the look you're going for:lol:

and yea, this 1940s haircut with the shaved part has become the go-to for all the hypebeasts

I highly recommend Dax wave and groom cheap in price and easy to find my only con is the lack of scent and sometimes hard to wash out.

You for the undercut going there.  One thing I personally dislike is the shaved in part line.   Your hair looks long enough to slick back and also have a short pomp.

I might try that... but I feel like it need to be longer for it to work....It looks like a shaved part line but I actually don't have one...I dislike them as well..got it once and i'm never doing it again.. takes forever to grow back

I have REALLY thick and wavy hair. When I wake up it's in curls.

If you have thin hair it's even easier to shape and maintain. If I had thin hair I would've prolly gone for a more rockabilly look.

Bro! If I had curly hair I wouldn't even be in this thread. I'd grow it out like sideshow bob and watch the ladies faint [emoji]128521[/emoji]

I might try that... but I feel like it need to be longer for it to work....It looks like a shaved part line but I actually don't have one...I dislike them as well..got it once and i'm never doing it again.. takes forever to grow back
If you want a higher pomp then yes you would need it longer but also you need to let the sides grow out and if your hair is like mine where the sides stick out then a petroleum based pomade would be needed at least until its long enough to comb the sides.  However the top the at a good length to start tempting getting an idea of what type of pomp you want.

Back
Top Bottom