MonsterVerse Thread = Godzilla VS Kong : Out Now On HBO MaX & Theaters

Watched the 98 one last night to get in the Godzilla mood. God was it awful.
yo me too...
roll.gif

I'm down with King Kong and all, but like someone said, 'King Kong can climb buildings. Godzilla IS the building.' :lol:

I'm down with King Kong and all, but like someone said, 'King Kong can climb buildings. Godzilla IS the building.' :lol:
real talk that peter jackson king kong was dope as ****
people never mention that movie :smh:
the xbox 360 game was kinda cool too

Last edited:
Going to hit the IMAX Theater in Sacramento or Emeryville Friday at noon!
Can't wait.
If you're heading to Emeryville then you might as well go to a real IMAX theater inside the Metreon. That and the Tech Museum are the only two legit ones iirc.

real talk that peter jackson king kong was dope as ****
people never mention that movie :smh:
the xbox 360 game was kinda cool too

I don't remember too much about that King Kong movie anymore. I can't remember if I liked it or not lol. Whether it did well in the movies or not. I watched it exactly once, when it came out, and then never again. And I literally never thought about the movie again until your post. So I'm thinking maybe it was bad, and that it flopped. Turns out it made double the production budget the yr it released and that it had a 84 RT rating. Go figure. :lol:

Last edited:
I've been hearing a lot about this iMax lawsuit, claiming a lot of these theaters don't have a true imax experience. There's like 2 in my area but I've never been. Sad to say I've never done a movie in imax.

I've noticed that not all IMAX theaters are created equal. Some are definitely better than others. It's not something that I've thought much about because I usually go to the same theater.

I've noticed that not all IMAX theaters are created equal. Some are definitely better than others. It's not something that I've thought much about because I usually go to the same theater.

I think there was a thread once that said not all IMAX theaters are actually IMAX.

Theres a list on the webz of all the actuall, official IMAX theaters.

Cloverfield was far from garbage.
i so into cloverfield's viral marketing. prob the best viral marketing ever/since. i think they did it for the dark knight as well but cloverfields was definitely more fun i think.

I have seen the movie, so this review is with spoilers, only read if you have seen the film.

As I stated last night, it’s not 1998 anymore. Godzilla, has finally, been done right. :pimp:

We could all tell from the previews, the tone looked/sounded right. It was. They NEVER, strayed. They held that tension, pressure, fear, anxiety throughout the film. With that, the score or at least sound, was really really good. It added to the tension perfectly.

The director gave us everything we could want. You get a couple of shots of full on Godzilla in plain view, easy to see, detail, mass, everything. Yet, he doesn’t give you that the whole film. He keeps a LOT of shadow, glimpses, fog, water, door closing, whatever, to keep you in suspense. To make it scarier with the unseen. He doesn’t overdo a massive building walking around the planet, and he doesn’t Cloverfield never show him to us either, he does both, to hold your attention. (and breath)

The origin stories were well enough. Liked the way it began, showing some of the history of the OG storylines we grew up on, they made it feel old and new all at the same time, like they were connecting everything. Cranston carries the early part of the movie and gets you to Wanatabe who gave me kind of a Morpheus/announcer vibe. He sort of told us, what humanity was in store for, he predicted what was coming, what was going on, and essentially showed us, why we should be rooting for Godzilla, rather than trying to end him. I could be reaching on that, but that was how I felt.

To go with that, I swear on everything, in my heart, when the buses are on the bridge, and the tanks are rollin up and what not, they start yelling at the ships that there are still civilians on the bridge, don’t fire, don’t fire, and you see the missiles fired and gunfire headed right for the bridge, and suddenly Godzilla stands up and takes all of it. I swear that was Godzilla protecting those people. Maybe I’m dumb as hell and reaching, but that’s how I saw it. That bridge was about to be bombed to **** and he suddenly stood up and took every shot. I’ll be interested to hear the director, if he meant that intentionally or it was just a reach on my part.

Aaron Johnson was a surprise to me as the overall lead. I did not see him keeping me interested, but he did. Clearly, watching him compared to watching Godzilla on screen is a big letdown, but Johnson did an excellent job showing the goodness of humanity, trying to help the kid, trying to reach his family, dealing with the loss of his father, while still not entirely over the loss of his mother, but also trying to defeat these “monsters” to save mankind. Kind of a lot to get thru in a couple days. He showed everything you would hope an American soldier to be. Honorable, helpful, protecting, unafraid, focused, he brought everything to the table.

Not as much Elizabeth Olsen as I expected. Kind of let down by that, but clearly, they had enough of the human element going on, and the bottom line is this movie is about a big *** monster, not just a small family trying to reunite. I would love to have seen more of her, but I feel they balanced the film perfectly with Cranston, Wanatabe, Johnson, Olsen, AND the military on the human angle, and then of course, they had the big guy roaming around.

The fight scenes were splendid. The CGI was flawless. The detail to the cities, and destruction was top notch. The imagery was really good, like the news saying stay off the roads, only to show 50,000 cars piled up on the highways. :lol: :lol: :lol: All of it, really, really well done. They stayed in their tone and lane the whole way. (well, except for one thing, when the two bugs were rubbing faces, and the male gave the female the bomb shaped like a…….missile, to which she gently……inserted it to her lower regions…..I mean…..my wife and I were just like…….uhhhh……. :lol: that was a bit uncomfortable, but other than that scene, everything else was perfect :lol: ) When Godzilla did his work, people clapped, they cheered, the theatre left very happy. When that tail started to light up…. :wow: :pimp: The tail whip. :wow: :pimp: The finishing move. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: Fatality. :pimp:

I expect sequels, without question. And if not, no problem. This film will carry me for a long time. 1998 can eat **** now, because this movie was everything I could have ever asked for.

After you guys start seein the movie tonight, chime in. I'm anxious to start hearing from others that have seen it.

I have seen the movie, so this review is with spoilers, only read if you have seen the film.

As I stated last night, it’s not 1998 anymore. Godzilla, has finally, been done right. :pimp:

We could all tell from the previews, the tone looked/sounded right. It was. They NEVER, strayed. They held that tension, pressure, fear, anxiety throughout the film. With that, the score or at least sound, was really really good. It added to the tension perfectly.

The director gave us everything we could want. You get a couple of shots of full on Godzilla in plain view, easy to see, detail, mass, everything. Yet, he doesn’t give you that the whole film. He keeps a LOT of shadow, glimpses, fog, water, door closing, whatever, to keep you in suspense. To make it scarier with the unseen. He doesn’t overdo a massive building walking around the planet, and he doesn’t Cloverfield never show him to us either, he does both, to hold your attention. (and breath)

The origin stories were well enough. Liked the way it began, showing some of the history of the OG storylines we grew up on, they made it feel old and new all at the same time, like they were connecting everything. Cranston carries the early part of the movie and gets you to Wanatabe who gave me kind of a Morpheus/announcer vibe. He sort of told us, what humanity was in store for, he predicted what was coming, what was going on, and essentially showed us, why we should be rooting for Godzilla, rather than trying to end him. I could be reaching on that, but that was how I felt.

To go with that, I swear on everything, in my heart, when the buses are on the bridge, and the tanks are rollin up and what not, they start yelling at the ships that there are still civilians on the bridge, don’t fire, don’t fire, and you see the missiles fired and gunfire headed right for the bridge, and suddenly Godzilla stands up and takes all of it. I swear that was Godzilla protecting those people. Maybe I’m dumb as hell and reaching, but that’s how I saw it. That bridge was about to be bombed to **** and he suddenly stood up and took every shot. I’ll be interested to hear the director, if he meant that intentionally or it was just a reach on my part.

Aaron Johnson was a surprise to me as the overall lead. I did not see him keeping me interested, but he did. Clearly, watching him compared to watching Godzilla on screen is a big letdown, but Johnson did an excellent job showing the goodness of humanity, trying to help the kid, trying to reach his family, dealing with the loss of his father, while still not entirely over the loss of his mother, but also trying to defeat these “monsters” to save mankind. Kind of a lot to get thru in a couple days. He showed everything you would hope an American soldier to be. Honorable, helpful, protecting, unafraid, focused, he brought everything to the table.

Not as much Elizabeth Olsen as I expected. Kind of let down by that, but clearly, they had enough of the human element going on, and the bottom line is this movie is about a big *** monster, not just a small family trying to reunite. I would love to have seen more of her, but I feel they balanced the film perfectly with Cranston, Wanatabe, Johnson, Olsen, AND the military on the human angle, and then of course, they had the big guy roaming around.

The fight scenes were splendid. The CGI was flawless. The detail to the cities, and destruction was top notch. The imagery was really good, like the news saying stay off the roads, only to show 50,000 cars piled up on the highways. :lol: :lol: :lol: All of it, really, really well done. They stayed in their tone and lane the whole way. (well, except for one thing, when the two bugs were rubbing faces, and the male gave the female the bomb shaped like a…….missile, to which she gently……inserted it to her lower regions…..I mean…..my wife and I were just like…….uhhhh……. :lol: that was a bit uncomfortable, but other than that scene, everything else was perfect :lol: ) When Godzilla did his work, people clapped, they cheered, the theatre left very happy. When that tail started to light up…. :wow: :pimp: The tail whip. :wow: :pimp: The finishing move. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: Fatality. :pimp:

I expect sequels, without question. And if not, no problem. This film will carry me for a long time. 1998 can eat **** now, because this movie was everything I could have ever asked for.

After you guys start seein the movie tonight, chime in. I'm anxious to start hearing from others that have seen it.

Welps. My cue to disappear until I see the movie.

For it to be real the IMAX has to hit the floor or seem to go under the seats is what I hear.
I am watching it tonite solo. Wife is watching the kid....yes

Back
Top Bottom