Morehouse undergrads or Alumni or any HBCU Students chime in

I went to Howard.

Can't really speak for Morehouse but being in DC it was easy to get away from the "black experience" if you needed to with the other universities in DC.  Howard was one of the greatest experiences of my life, seriously.

13/1 ratio of females to male also....enough said

but as far as education it really depends on your major.  Howard is truly a HUSTLE school meaning everyone and everybody is trying very hard to make a name for themselves.  Everyone has their thing that they're known for or trying to accomplish which can be intimidating at first but just embrace it and enjoy the atmosphere.  Administration is pretty lazy so I recommend you get in good with a few people in the A building so you have them in your back pocket.  If you have anymore questions  don't be afraid to reach out. 

Last edited:
Morehouse is legit if you come from a Family that can afford to send you. And if you are planning to major in something regarding Liberal Arts, I wouldn't enroll in college lol.

I'm learning the hard way college isn't for everyone. I'm in too deep to drop out now but I have some serious regrets about it

I'm learning the hard way college isn't for everyone. I'm in too deep to drop out now but I have some serious regrets about it

yea, I think outside of kids who know early on and are amazing students, I think some kids would be better off going to a trade school first and learning a skill that can "pay the bills" and find themselves, then think about if college is for them. I knew what I wanted to go to college when I was 12 yrs old, so I just looked at the Cheapest School with an accredited program in a City that didnt completely suck.

I suck at math, and Majored in CIS instead of Comp Sci. All of the Math classes are replaced with Business Classes, the business classes gave me the edge because it taught me corporate culture and how to interview. Most Comp Sci grads are smart weirdos who dont know how to interview thus I typically beat out a lot of those cats for jobs lol. Morehouse doesnt have CIS though which is why I didnt apply (on top of me being poor and not wanting insane debt lol).

My advice to you is Major in CIS, and take 1-2 extra programming classes as an elective if you want to get into Software Dev, if you want to do something like Network Engineering,Cyber Security, Info Sec, etc then the CIS major its self will give you the fundamental foundation, but you still have to self study and grind for internships because no school will teach you everything when it comes to IT because its so broad.

Well the A+ cert gave me some insight of the field and i know math is very important aspect for doing software dev but i can’t software dev for the life of me. I can write webpages which i took a course at a local community college. I agree some of those comp sci dudes are weird, but i hang with them cause they tend to have the insight of all the new technologies that are coming out, but i keep it professional with them.

You need nurturing? For what? Those were all things I learned how to do on my own, I didn't need Morehouse for that. 

Thats on you, Going from HS to being grown is not a 1,2,3 process. It comes with growing pains, why wouldn't you want someone who has been there and done that to help guide you and give advice? lol seems like you just went to class and went home, so thats more so your personal personality or something.
You have no idea what I did or didn't do during my time in school so let's not play that game

Last edited:
You have no idea what I did or didn't do during my time in school so let's not play that game

I can care less what you did or didnt do in college, thats on you. I`m not in undergrad anymore and had an amazing experience so thats all that matters to me.

Thats good for you, but you've made assumptions about me and what I did in my tenure at undergrad twice now. Seems like you're not pleased with the fact that I'm not in there blindly advocating for attending a HBCU
yea dude just had a bad experience or something,
lol seems like you just went to class and went home, so thats more so your personal personality or something.
Or am I imagining these posts 

Last edited:
There is plenty of recruitment at Howard.  Most of my boys with comp sci majors had jobs waiting for them when they graduated.

Well the A+ cert gave me some insight of the field and i know math is very important aspect for doing software dev but i can’t software dev for the life of me. I can write webpages which i took a course at a local community college. I agree some of those comp sci dudes are weird, but i hang with them cause they tend to have the insight of all the new technologies that are coming out, but i keep it professional with them.

A+ is useless, but its good you got it so early. And Programming doesnt really have anything to do with the math unless you are developing algorithms on some scientific level type stuff. The math more so conditions you to think a certain way because Programming syntax depending on the language is sort of like doing math problems.

My advice to you is while your in college, learn at least one Object Oriented language (more than likely something like Visual Basic or C# will be in your curriculum, but learning Java or C++ would look better on the resume), Learn the fundamentals of SQL (will also be part of your curriculum more than likely), aim for 2-3 Certs in something, and try to get at least 2 internships (hell volunteer at your schools IT department for experience, that's what I did). Also Join some clubs related to your major and overall business related things in general.

If I knew what I knew now I would have probably been able to finesse my way into a bigger company my first job but everything happens for a reason. At the end of the day going to class won't get you a job so you gotta work on creating a well rounded resume that will get you your first entry level job (assuming you dont intern and get an offer). Hardest thing is getting the first job because with IT companies dont want to take chances on people with no experience, most companies hire Entry level via Internship Development programs.

Thats good for you, but you've made assumptions about me and what I did in my tenure at undergrad twice now. Seems like you're not pleased with the fact that I'm not in there blindly advocating for attending a HBCU

notice I said or something for each post lol. Like I said your experience is on you, I`m not worried about undergrad anymore so none of this back in forth really matters.

There is plenty of recruitment at Howard.  Most of my boys with comp sci majors had jobs waiting for them when they graduated.

yeah getting rectitued is way better than finding a job especially if you got talent. Which i don’t really have but i can hone some skills and be expert in one area. Not trying to be the jack of all trades.

I did say outside of Spelhouse and Howard. Shrugs

notice I said or something for each post lol. Like I said your experience is on you, I`m not worried about undergrad anymore so none of this back in forth really matters.
Because saying "or something" totally negates what you said prior 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
yeah getting rectitued is way better than finding a job especially if you got talent. Which i don’t really have but i can hone some skills and be expert in one area. Not trying to be the jack of all trades.

nah if you are trying to get into IT you gotta be well rounded starting out, and then once you have experience and a feel for what you feel is for you then hone in your skills. Like I said starting out its good to have a decent understanding of Programming Concepts, Project Management, and Fundamental IT Infrastructure knowledge. Doing that will get your foot into the door and then companies will mold you into how they want you to perform and or focus on.

I did say outside of Spelhouse and Howard. Shrugs
I was talking to the young man interested in possibly attending Howard *Shrugs*

man they had ZERO talent going into it 
laugh.gif

you sound like a hard worker

sidenote: Spellman has some beautiful women too don't get it twisted but HU is where it's at fam.

man they had ZERO talent going into it :lol:  

sidenote: Spellman has some beautiful women too don't get it twisted but HU is where it's at fam.

I stopped at HU when I went to DC for the March, and def seems like a dope school that people in the Area should be supporting.

That said Spelhouse homecoming lawwwwwd.

laugh.gif

I stopped at HU when I went to DC for the March, and def seems like a dope school that people in the Area should be supporting.

That said Spelhouse homecoming lawwwwwd.
yea it's def lit there and GHOE (Nca&t).  HU homecoming has actually been on the decline...

A+ is useless, but its good you got it so early. And Programming doesnt really have anything to do with the math unless you are developing algorithms on some scientific level type stuff. The math more so conditions you to think a certain way because Programming syntax depending on the language is sort of like doing math problems.

My advice to you is while your in college, learn at least one Object Oriented language (more than likely something like Visual Basic or C# will be in your curriculum, but learning Java or C++ would look better on the resume), Learn the fundamentals of SQL (will also be part of your curriculum more than likely), aim for 2-3 Certs in something, and try to get at least 2 internships (hell volunteer at your schools IT department for experience, that's what I did). Also Join some clubs related to your major and overall business related things in general.

If I knew what I knew now I would have probably been able to finesse my way into a bigger company my first job but everything happens for a reason. At the end of the day going to class won't get you a job so you gotta work on creating a well rounded resume that will get you your first entry level job (assuming you dont intern and get an offer). Hardest thing is getting the first job because with IT companies dont want to take chances on people with no experience, most companies hire Entry level via Internship Development programs.

The A+ was recommend me to get from fellow classmate. I’m not sure yet if want to program i don’t have the capacity just yet in “college", but i think of going trough a non-profit organization that has the connections to big companies like TD and Morgan Stanley. I’m not sure yet though. i’ll think about picking up a language, but that excel spreadsheet is my main concern. I need to take some classes on that so when the time comes for another internship i will be prepared for it.

Last edited:
man they had ZERO talent going into it :lol:  

I gotta eat bro! You seeing these food prices? aint no joke.

i know the yambs on this one.
9-1-14%20Howard%207.JPG

is it co-ed?

Last edited:

laugh.gif

I gotta eat bro! You seeing these food prices? aint no joke.

i know the yambs on this one.
9-1-14%20Howard%207.JPG

is it co-ed?
yea it's co-ed

I will repeat 13/1 ratio....the women fight over you (serious)

Been to the Morehouse/Spellman Homecoming twice.
Crazy.. These dudes aint lying as far as the females and ratio.

Last edited:

yea it's co-ed

I will repeat 13/1 ratio....the women fight over you (serious)
13/1? Interesting I’ll think about it. The yambs is one thing but i’m concern about making money bro with a solid degree.
yea man you can accomplish anything you want to with hard work and networking

I graduated with an Economics degree and minor in Business.

I work for Apple with their leadership program and intern for sony.  Turned down all the gov't jobs in DC and consulting jobs because it's not my passion.  If all goes as planned i'll be working for Apple Music in a few months while a&r'ing for Sony.  Chase your passion man, the money will always be available to you if you know how to find it.

I work for Apple with their leadership program and intern for sony.  Turned down all the gov't jobs in DC and consulting jobs because it's not my passion.  If all goes as planned i'll be working for Apple Music in a few months while a&r'ing for Sony.  Chase your passion man, the money will always be available to you if you know how to find it.

nice man, corporate? that interview process must have been hard?

I went to Howard.

Can't really speak for Morehouse but being in DC it was easy to get away from the "black experience" if you needed to with the other universities in DC.  Howard was one of the greatest experiences of my life, seriously.

13/1 ratio of females to male also....enough said

but as far as education it really depends on your major.  Howard is truly a HUSTLE school meaning everyone and everybody is trying very hard to make a name for themselves.  Everyone has their thing that they're known for or trying to accomplish which can be intimidating at first but just embrace it and enjoy the atmosphere.  Administration is pretty lazy so I recommend you get in good with a few people in the A building so you have them in your back pocket.  If you have anymore questions  don't be afraid to reach out. 

I figured Howard was competitive but not like that...

Howard grad chiming in. I went to Howard for undergrad and grad. Got both degrees in electrical engineering. Absolutely love HU and the HBCU experience. There are a ton of companies recruiting at HU for almost all fields but if you go STEM then you can't lose.

Best of luck to you in your education pursuits. I advise you to take advantage of the internships, study abroad whenever you get the opportunity, do everything for the free that comes up because you will never get those opportunities again. Whichever school you choose be sure to take full advantage and get the full black experience. Cuz the further you move up in this world, the less black people you will see.

I miss HU man I really do. I love my people.

Back
Top Bottom