Moving: Socal to NY. Advice?

So early July I'm moving from California to NY for school. I'll be living in Brooklyn and going to school in SoHo. I'll be in school for at least 6 months, and possibly stay in NY if I find a dope job opportunity. Never set foot in the eastern part of the US, so I just wanted to see if my NT fam could offer some advice to a rookie going to NY. 
I don't even know what having 4 seasons is like, so help me out with a NY summer/fall/winter and stuff/clothes I may need 

Tips so I dont feel/act like a damn tourist while Im over there. 

Spots that I should hit up; bars, clubs, hangout places etc. that are better known to locals (especially dank food joints 
pimp.gif
)

Things/places to avoid (I ain't about that life 
laugh.gif
)

Any other nuances that only a real NYer would know but may be helpful/useful 

Thanks fam 
smokin.gif

vs 

im def in for a change 
eek.gif

So early July I'm moving from California to NY for school. I'll be living in Brooklyn and going to school in SoHo. I'll be in school for at least 6 months, and possibly stay in NY if I find a dope job opportunity. Never set foot in the eastern part of the US, so I just wanted to see if my NT fam could offer some advice to a rookie going to NY. 
I don't even know what having 4 seasons is like, so help me out with a NY summer/fall/winter and stuff/clothes I may need 

Tips so I dont feel/act like a damn tourist while Im over there. 

Spots that I should hit up; bars, clubs, hangout places etc. that are better known to locals (especially dank food joints 
pimp.gif
)

Things/places to avoid (I ain't about that life 
laugh.gif
)

Any other nuances that only a real NYer would know but may be helpful/useful 

Thanks fam 
smokin.gif

vs 

im def in for a change 
eek.gif

it's gonna be a rude awakening for you if your not ready for the fast pace NYC goes at.

To me cali is more of a lax place while nyc is just hustle city.

NYC has alot of diversity and with that comes different rules and how you need to approach people and how to act.

I think that if your used to beers by the beach and playing volleyball in the afternoon your gonna get a culture shock...especially if your gonna be in soho.

It is to say the least gonna be a big change to you. But it takes a while to get accustomed to the nyc lifestyle, you can't let it get you down...because alot of people actually hate nyc because they haven't given it enough time. Theirs a lot to explore in this city, endless things to see and do.

laugh.gif
@ dank food joints

it's gonna be a rude awakening for you if your not ready for the fast pace NYC goes at.

NYC has alot of diversity and with that comes different rules and how you need to approach people and how to act.

I think that if your used to beers by the beach and playing volleyball in the afternoon your gonna get a culture shock...especially if your gonna be in soho.

It is to say the least gonna be a big change to you. But it takes a while to get accustomed to the nyc lifestyle, you can't let it get you down...because alot of people actually hate nyc because they haven't given it enough time. Theirs a lot to explore in this city, endless things to see and do.

laugh.gif
@ dank food joints

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

laugh.gif
@ dank food joints
i think this might be the biggest thing im going to have to adjust to. thats why i need NT's help 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

laugh.gif
@ dank food joints
i think this might be the biggest thing im going to have to adjust to. thats why i need NT's help 
ohwell.gif

It's easy...don't talk to people in a way thats based on racial stereotypes, treat everyone in the same humble, safe manner until you get a feel to the diverse nyc culture(s), and most importantly don't flip out over little !$@!...you have to remember that for your first 6 months your in foreign territory so act appropriately....some people flip over the most minuscule things...don't give them a reason.

The downside of nyc being a very hustle & bustle kind of place is that people are so wound up that they are easy to piss off...but I don't think they make up the majority of down to earth nyc'ers...

you'll be good...it just takes time to adjust and theirs alot to adjust to. Snow for you if we have a blizzard is gonna be hell. The first things I would do if I was you is find a local supermarket/bodega/corner store to pick up some food and whatever...and pick one that isn't a local hang spot for the neighborhood villains. Next def. learn the mta subway map like the back of your hand. finally go exploring your area and the area your school is in and find a good eat spot and just places you'd want to go on some down time before you venture out to other boroughs.

It's easy...don't talk to people in a way thats based on racial stereotypes, treat everyone in the same humble, safe manner until you get a feel to the diverse nyc culture(s), and most importantly don't flip out over little !$@!...you have to remember that for your first 6 months your in foreign territory so act appropriately....some people flip over the most minuscule things...don't give them a reason.

The downside of nyc being a very hustle & bustle kind of place is that people are so wound up that they are easy to piss off...but I don't think they make up the majority of down to earth nyc'ers...

you'll be good...it just takes time to adjust and theirs alot to adjust to. Snow for you if we have a blizzard is gonna be hell. The first things I would do if I was you is find a local supermarket/bodega/corner store to pick up some food and whatever...and pick one that isn't a local hang spot for the neighborhood villains. Next def. learn the mta subway map like the back of your hand. finally go exploring your area and the area your school is in and find a good eat spot and just places you'd want to go on some down time before you venture out to other boroughs.

You will get cuffed and thrown into a cell for possessing any amount of weed. Theres a %*%$ load of good food joints to check out. Since you're in BK start with some square slices at Spumoni's and the best roast beef sandwich you'll ever taste at John's Deli like two blocks down. Get yourself a metro card and learn how to get the most out of it. You can get to ANYwhere in NYC via public transportation.

You will get cuffed and thrown into a cell for possessing any amount of weed. Theres a %*%$ load of good food joints to check out. Since you're in BK start with some square slices at Spumoni's and the best roast beef sandwich you'll ever taste at John's Deli like two blocks down. Get yourself a metro card and learn how to get the most out of it. You can get to ANYwhere in NYC via public transportation.

Back
Top Bottom