Moving to NorCal from SoCal

Fremont is has some apartments for a price and also Union City might be a good city to look into as well as San Leandro.
yea but now he's looking at a 2 hour commute each way. san leandro to downtown sj? live closer to where you work, i promise you won't regret it 

nah, santa clara is really bad. cupertino is unaffordable. palo alto... no reason to go there really unless you're going to stanford 

rent all around is horrible. i'm sure if you go deep enough into oakland you can find something. and maybe some of the crappier parts of san jose. 
That's what I mean, I'd consider all those cities mega rich pockets. 

It's more expensive to live in Oakland than it is in other cities that are actually cities, like Berkeley, Hayward, Fremont, Daily City etc.

That's why I was saying the statement, they have to live in Oakland makes no sense. 

Most of Oakland is outrageously expensive, the east isn't so bad but you're still going to be paying a premium to live in the hood. You're not going to save a whole lot. 

Fremont is has some apartments for a price and also Union City might be a good city to look into as well as San Leandro.
 San Leandro to SJ would be too far me but taking commute and cost into account Fremont, Union City, and Newark would be my recommendations for OP. 

im not knocking the public transpo here. it's pretty good but i know i took the caltrain once or twice into san fran and it took an hour plus. i heard some people commute that way every day into the city. or even worse, they live in sf, pay all that money, and commute down to santa clara 

Yeah Fremont/Union City is looking like the best option. I just figure that all of this is temporary as I'll get raises or find higher paid positions. Like I said in another thread, I've been wanting to make this move for 5 years almost so it's time to just do it.

Yeah Fremont/Union City is looking like the best option. I just figure that all of this is temporary as I'll get raises or find higher paid positions. Like I said in another thread, I've been wanting to make this move for 5 years almost so it's time to just do it.

Yeah I'm used to a 30 min commute (40 with Metro Rail) but I also usually go in at 7 to avoid the traffic. Be done by 3-4 depending on whether or not I have a flex day type of schedule.

The traffic is already bad at 6am going SB on 880. (from UC/Frem to SJ) I agree with bart. Save some commute time, gas... and sanity by living closer to the job.

Are you single or married? Do you like to go out a lot? Only reason I am asking is, Fremont/Union City area has little to no nightlife. :lol:

I live in Fremont and grew up here. It's a good place to live (safe, good weather, etc.) but options for going out at night within a 10-15 mile radius are pretty damn slim.

If you have any other questions about the area, just let me know.

And yeah, traffic going south is horrible I've heard. I would def. take public transportation if you can.

I commute from Fremont to SF everyday for work with Bart and have had no issues so far.

Man you'll be making 55k and you are worried about rent? Man it must be rough out there, 55k in AZ and you'd be living pretty comfortably

Are you single or married? Do you like to go out a lot? Only reason I am asking is, Fremont/Union City area has little to no nightlife. :lol:

I live in Fremont and grew up here. It's a good place to live (safe, good weather, etc.) but options for going out at night within a 10-15 mile radius are pretty damn slim.

I'm recently single. Not really worried about night life and such like that but it's be nice to know where females frequent in the bay :lol:

im not knocking the public transpo here. it's pretty good but i know i took the caltrain once or twice into san fran and it took an hour plus. i heard some people commute that way every day into the city. or even worse, they live in sf, pay all that money, and commute down to santa clara 

you got to take the "bullet" and it be an hr.
you are better off living in the south bay

I can be some help.

The Bart won't be ready until 2017. (It will pass behind my parents house)

And 55k isn't much tbh. I make damn near 100k and I'm struggling.

If you are going the commute route to SanJose. And you don't want to live in SJ. A lot of people come from Tracy, mountain house etc. yeah it's far but people do it daily, you just gotta get use to it. Because no matter where you are living it's gonna take you 45 mins minimum to get to work. I live in San Jose and it takes me 45 mins to get to work in Milpitas.

Here are some places to look at (off the top of my head)
Gilroy
Tracy
Mountain house
San Martin

Renting also is another option.

Or find a girlfriend that makes nothing and apply for low income housing.

Last edited:
Posted this in the Nor Cal thread but wanted to ask general as well.

I have an interview with a large public agency in SJ (downtown SJ to be exact) soon and the starting pay is close to $55k. I think that if I get the job, I can negotiate the job since I have some experience and it's a union job so we'll see.

I would rather use BART/Caltrain for my commute but where would be a great place to live? Was looking at Union City/Fremont area. Any help would be appreciated!

Hit me up my NTWT brotha. Can show u around SJ

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

To be honest, though: is $55k a salary that can lived on solo up there? Been doing research and people are saying that you need 60k or more.
Are you going to be paying into a 401k and health insurance? 

I'm recently single. Not really worried about night life and such like that
Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

To be honest, though: is $55k a salary that can lived on solo up there? Been doing research and people are saying that you need 60k or more.

Are you going to be paying into a 401k and health insurance? 

Gonna try. I'm turning 27 next month so I gotta start somewhere. That x CALPers (I'll be working for a public agency) and I'll be on my way. Most agencies pay most if not all of health insurance though.

Leave all your dodgers apparel in socal...

trust me on this one... 

OP, I'm from San Jose, Born and raised :pimp:

You can find decent priced places in San Jose, you just have to really look. My sister found a one bedroom townhome for $1400 in a nice area of San Jose.

However, house prices are insane. I've met so many people in the trades that drive from Los Baños, Hollister, hell I've even met someone who travels from Madera and another from Concord everyday.

If it's possible, I recommend staying in San Jose. You're an hour away from SF, 45 minutes away from Santa Cruz, 3(ish hours from Reno).

San Jose>

I can be some help.

The Bart won't be ready until 2017. (It will pass behind my parents house)

And 55k isn't much tbh. I make damn near 100k and I'm struggling.

If you are going the commute route to SanJose. And you don't want to live in SJ. A lot of people come from Tracy, mountain house etc. yeah it's far but people do it daily, you just gotta get use to it. Because no matter where you are living it's gonna take you 45 mins minimum to get to work. I live in San Jose and it takes me 45 mins to get to work in Milpitas.

Here are some places to look at (off the top of my head)
Gilroy
Tracy
Mountain house
San Martin

Renting also is another option.

Or find a girlfriend that makes nothing and apply for low income housing.

*jaguars fan.gif*

This is a man who's not trustworthy.

I can't believe you're honestly recommending Tracy. [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited:
dude who mentioned tracy must not be a bay native...

ignore that boy

Back
Top Bottom