Muhammad Ali has died at age 74...RIP to the GOAT

My granddad is gunna have some stories ready for me that I'm eager to hear. He use to play for a Negro League minor league team in the STL and he said he saw Ali a few times.

My granddad is gunna have some stories ready for me that I'm eager to hear. He use to play for a Negro League minor league team in the STL and he said he saw Ali a few times.

And we fully expect you to come back and post some of them, I bet those stories kick ***.

I don't think he liked my shirt :frown:

:lol:
If you know anything about history then the shirt is pretty hilarious. Adi Dassler (adidas) was a nazi making a promotional shirt for civil rights change in one of the most oppressive countries in the world at a time where the dictator ruined the entire region and violated the human rights of countless Africans.

What is this promotional shirt you speak of? It can't be mine. Enlighten me because you seem to take your T Shirts very seriously.

Adi Dassler was dead when my shirt was produced.

Last edited:
What is this promotional shirt you speak of? It can't be mine. Enlighten me because you seem to take your T Shirts very seriously.

Adi Dassler was dead when my shirt was produced.
I don't take it seriously. Nice shirt.

Circa 2002/03, I'm ready to finish up my residency in Atlanta. I walk into the pre op holding area on a Monday morning and the ladies say, "You missed it." Missed what? "Muhammad Ali was here on Friday being treated for his Parkinsons. He was running around the hospital, shadow boxing. He had a line behind him like the Pied Piper" You're ******** me?!?! "Nope. He was here. He was signing things for people in his room. His Dr. shut it down after a while because he wanted him to get some rest. I think he's gone now" I literally throw myself into a seat at their desk. Fuming. I was supposed to be at this hospital on Friday but was sent to another one at the last minute. A few minutes pass and one of the ladies picks up the phone and calls upstairs. "Doc, I stand corrected. He's still here, but they're not letting people see him." Like hell, they aren't. If Ali is in this hospital, I'm meeting Ali. Fast forward to the end of the day. I go up the section of the hospital where the folks with money reside. It looked more like a hotel. Turn down service, chocolate on the pillow, etc. I go to the nurses station and there is a group of nurses standing around....one male, the rest female. They break their huddle and I stand by a counter next to the male pretending to look at a chart, while I pretend to fill out a preop. Looking down at my chart, I ask him if Muhammad was on the floor. "Yep", he says while never looking up from his chart
laugh.gif
Is he your patient? "Yep". I tell him I just want to walk into the room, shake his hand, and bounce. He waits for the herd to move along, says, "Come on"..and we proceed into the room. He introduces me as a resident doctor and there sitting in the flesh, in flannel pajamas is a man who I felt was larger than life. I go to shake his hand and he asks,"You're a doctor?" Yes sir. "You're not as dumb as you look!!
laugh.gif
" I sit down with him for approximately thirty minutes during which times he does various slight of hand tricks...I tell him everyone knows you're fast man. He then opens a notebook and proceeds to show me inconsistencies in the bible. He was writing them down. He kept repeating the word..Inconsistent. His family started to enter the room and I ,not wanting to overstay my welcome, told him I was going to leave. There's literally about five or six people between him and myself and he looks over them and says, "Be cool man". I told him I was going to try to be half as cool as he was but that was hard to do. He says, "****, I know
smokin.gif
:smokin:smokin". I fall out laughing. Point at him and walk out.

Will never forget it. RIP Champ!!!

Almost forgot the best part of the whole story. When I went into his room, he was watching When we were Kings on TV. I laughed and told him, "Man you're watching yourself on TV?!?!
laugh.gif
"
He laughed and said something about being pretty
smokin.gif
pimp.gif

Jack Johnson was basically the first of everything in boxing. People who really followed Ali probably know who Jack Johnson was. He was doing the same stuff as Ali, just in the early 1900s instead of the 60s
There's one story about Jack Johnson that is the epitome of BAWSE: One time, while driving one of those early automobiles he was stopped and given a ticket for speeding. He paid twice the amount of the ticket right away. When the cop asked him why he replied "That's for when I drive back later". 

Greatest promo of all time man.

Greatest combat sports heel of all time.

Had people so upset at him during the time leading up to fights that they paid their money to see him lose. People tend to forget that.

A practice copied by so many others. Flair, McGregor, and Floyd.

There is a good interview with Jim Ross and Mauro Ranallo that go in depth about Ali in the 70s.

I will post it later.

But yea man, damn.
https://web.archive.org/web/2016032.../program/episode.jsp?programID=619&pid=391798 - The voice of Showtime Championship Boxing & MMA, and former "Stampede Wrestling" host Mauro Ranallo joins Jim to talk about the man who gave him his first break - Al Tamko, boxing great Floyd Mayweather, Ronda Rousey, the Hart Family, and why he calls himself "the Forrest Gump of broadcasters."

See if this works

You wanna know the level of influence Ali had on people? My company runs daily deal ads/flash deals for home decor on eBay. My boss had a deal scheduled for Saturday night/Sunday all day.. and it never went live.

eBay flooded the site with all Ali memorabilia instead.

I don't have much to say about Ali that hasn't already been said about him. 

I met one of his opponents last year, Chuck Wepner, who in turn was the inspiration for Rocky Balboa.

I guess you could say that I was two degrees separated from the GOAT.

i think one the of the biggest let downs in our generation is us unfortunately having Parkinson's Muhammad Ali for our entire existence. Having that void of him not being able to articulate his thoughts and views, and showcase emotionally what we were able to absorb from just looking at his past moments...:smh:

I think it would have been a real treat to hear his voice, essays etc on today's society. Like his influence could have been even larger to the 80s babies.

I don't have much to say about Ali that hasn't already been said about him. 

I met one of his opponents last year, Chuck Wepner, who in turn was the inspiration for Rocky Balboa.

I guess you could say that I was two degrees separated from the GOAT.

The Bayonne Bleeder eh?

That's cool. Tough dude for sure.

Champion in the sport and outside of the sport, RIP.

Shame on Sony for cashing in on his death :frown:

Back
Top Bottom