N.E.R.D. is this generation's Beatles.

Obviously, not nearly as popular, though.

I recently went back and listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band... I just hear so many similarities in their style and N.E.R.D.'s.

Maybe it's just me.
laugh.gif

Please discuss.

Not even close, they will never have that all around buzz that The Beatles had.

Plus The Beatles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>N.E.R.D.

Originally Posted by HangTight

Came in to post that

Still, not even wu-tang is comparable to how huge the beatles were. Closest thing though.

laugh.gif
WOW.

Refer to my original post:

I'm not arguing that their popularity is comparable to that of The Beatles... that would be a stupid, losing argument. They are the most popular band inthe history of the world; I get that.

I'm not arguing that they are better than The Beatles (although, I haven't heard all of The Beatles' albums to be able to make a judgment... anddon't start with that, "It's blasphemous to say any other artist or band even nears their talent", etc.) because it's all relative.

I'm saying that I think the bands share similar sounds. In other words, I was reminded of N.E.R.D. when I heard the SPLHCB album. I could see N.E.R.D.covering a Beatles' song. Maybe I need to listen to more Beatles albums to get a more informed opinion, though I wouldn't imagine that the sound wouldchange dramatically between albums.

Is that a reach? Maybe. But don't think that I'm arguing something as idiotic to argue as N.E.R.D. is as popular as the Beatles (definite"no") or that N.E.R.D. is better/as good as The Beatles (you can't quantify and compare each band's talent or change anyone's opinion).

Influenced by the Beatles maybe but the Beatles they are not.

You can hear the influence on the Fly or Die album on songs like Drill Sergeant. I think that's what they were going for tho.

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

Came in to post that

Still, not even wu-tang is comparable to how huge the beatles were. Closest thing though.

laugh.gif
WOW.

I'm not arguing that their popularity is comparable to that of The Beatles... that would be a stupid, losing argument. They are the most popular band in the history of the world; I get that.

I'm not arguing that they are better than The Beatles (although, I haven't heard all of The Beatles' albums to be able to make a judgment... and don't start with that, "It's blasphemous to say any other artist or band even nears their talent", etc.) because it's all relative.

I'm saying that I think the bands share similar sounds. In other words, I was reminded of N.E.R.D. when I heard the SPLHCB album. I could see N.E.R.D. covering a Beatles' song. Maybe I need to listen to more Beatles albums to get a more informed opinion, though I wouldn't imagine that the sound would change dramatically between albums.

Is that a reach? Maybe. But don't think that I'm arguing something as idiotic to argue as N.E.R.D. is as popular as the Beatles (definite "no") or that N.E.R.D. is better/as good as The Beatles (you can't quantify and compare each band's talent or change anyone's opinion).

I wasn't talking about sound. I was talking about influence, impact etc etc

In that case, Wu Tang is the closest thing Hip Hop has to the Beatles.

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

Came in to post that

laugh.gif
WOW.

I'm not arguing that their popularity is comparable to that of The Beatles... that would be a stupid, losing argument. They are the most popular band in the history of the world; I get that.

I'm not arguing that they are better than The Beatles (although, I haven't heard all of The Beatles' albums to be able to make a judgment... and don't start with that, "It's blasphemous to say any other artist or band even nears their talent", etc.) because it's all relative.

I'm saying that I think the bands share similar sounds. In other words, I was reminded of N.E.R.D. when I heard the SPLHCB album. I could see N.E.R.D. covering a Beatles' song. Maybe I need to listen to more Beatles albums to get a more informed opinion, though I wouldn't imagine that the sound would change dramatically between albums.

Is that a reach? Maybe. But don't think that I'm arguing something as idiotic to argue as N.E.R.D. is as popular as the Beatles (definite "no") or that N.E.R.D. is better/as good as The Beatles (you can't quantify and compare each band's talent or change anyone's opinion).

I wasn't talking about sound. I was talking about influence, impact etc etc

In that case, Wu Tang is the closest thing Hip Hop has to the Beatles.

But I was. That's what I was basing my opinion on...sound... nothing more. You can't tell me that my opinion is wrong based on things thatI do not base my opinion on.

Second time: I do not believe that N.E.R.D. has had more of an influence/impact on the world as The Beatles.

Influenced by the Beatles maybe but the Beatles they are not.

You can hear the influence on the Fly or Die album on songs like Drill Sergeant. I think that's what they were going for tho.

That's one of the N.E.R.D. songs that I was basing my opinion on, along with Jump (among others) on FOD. I didn't know that The Beatles were one ofN.E.R.D.'s influences. That explains it. Thank you for understanding what I was saying.
laugh.gif

Oh, and another thing, it's not about "Who, in hip-hop, is the equivalent of The Beatles of our generation?" It's about all music in general.I haven't heard a band/artist other than N.E.R.D. that sounded as much like The Beatles. Although, feel free to tell me of a different band that soundsmore similar.

Aww I feel bad for OP he's like the kid who gets picked on for peeing in his pants even though he just spilt water on his pants. I understand you OP but noone else is so pack it up. Ya done

What an outlandish, asinine statement.

sidebar - you heard similarities because many a bands draw inspiration from The Beatles, go figure.

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

ThunderChunk69 wrote:

Wu Tang maybe
Came in to post that

I still can't forget that thread were n_'s had the audacity to say the Roc>the Wu in their respective primes
smh.gif

I don't see how some of you dudes give NERD so much credit sometimes. Yea, I #*#+ with them but they ain't THAT tight.

N.E.R.D. isn't even a good rock band. So to say they're this generations quintessential rock band is a little ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom