NAS drives... (Network-Attached Storage)

Does anyone on here use or maintain home/personal NAS drives? I am about to set one up and was wondering what your thoughts were about using it to stream and hold media to be accessed from all over my house. You have things like remote access even from outside locations that come into play, but just wanted to see if I am the only one on this level on the board.

Does anyone on here use or maintain home/personal NAS drives? I am about to set one up and was wondering what your thoughts were about using it to stream and hold media to be accessed from all over my house. You have things like remote access even from outside locations that come into play, but just wanted to see if I am the only one on this level on the board.

roll.gif

i was going to do it but i found it cheaper to just build a computer and install windows home server (WHS) on it. i have a microsoft technet subscription that includes a WHS license so i didn't have to buy one. if you have a lot of hard drives then it's easier to just setup a cheap computer since the cheaper nas options have space for only 1-3 hard drives which wasn't enough for me. i couldn't get wireless to work real well in my house so i setup powerline adapters everywhere to stream videos.

i never really tried using the remote access from out of the house. i would use VPN though if i needed to control the WHS in another room. i don't have the setup anymore since i moved because of school and no one at my house would know how to do it themselves. i think you could use the xbox 360/ps3 to stream videos, not HD though. i would stream to other computers and i use WDTV live device to stream too but it would only do 720p, 1080p was choppy.

i was going to do it but i found it cheaper to just build a computer and install windows home server (WHS) on it. i have a microsoft technet subscription that includes a WHS license so i didn't have to buy one. if you have a lot of hard drives then it's easier to just setup a cheap computer since the cheaper nas options have space for only 1-3 hard drives which wasn't enough for me. i couldn't get wireless to work real well in my house so i setup powerline adapters everywhere to stream videos.

i never really tried using the remote access from out of the house. i would use VPN though if i needed to control the WHS in another room. i don't have the setup anymore since i moved because of school and no one at my house would know how to do it themselves. i think you could use the xbox 360/ps3 to stream videos, not HD though. i would stream to other computers and i use WDTV live device to stream too but it would only do 720p, 1080p was choppy.

i have one of these @ home 
(D-Link DNS-323 w/ 2 1TB HDDS..RAID0)

JIYQk_NrT9Vme3CeqYe8ixKkft_77Gh3HPxgjXzthdFRzqarWJt8dtma6Fy0veEpHb2v9_HCV9o6n-jYvC7aAfvyOTFLcqfjwhg5VOBXjFFQbcENsg_cP8AkeF1T

cheap, reliable, & faster than most entry level NAS (WDCWB, iOmegas, etc) too.. 

PM me for questions mane. 

JIYQk_NrT9Vme3CeqYe8ixKkft_77Gh3HPxgjXzthdFRzqarWJt8dtma6Fy0veEpHb2v9_HCV9o6n-jYvC7aAfvyOTFLcqfjwhg5VOBXjFFQbcENsg_cP8AkeF1T

cheap, reliable, & faster than most entry level NAS (WDCWB, iOmegas, etc) too.. 

I have 1TB My Book World Edition II NAS that holds all my media files. I use it to stream music to my Sonos system and video to the Samsung blu-ray players around the house. It works great, i'd recommend it because otherwise my laptop would need to be up and running to access the files. Setup is painless, everything picks up the NAS no problems.

I have 1TB My Book World Edition II NAS that holds all my media files. I use it to stream music to my Sonos system and video to the Samsung blu-ray players around the house. It works great, i'd recommend it because otherwise my laptop would need to be up and running to access the files. Setup is painless, everything picks up the NAS no problems.

cheap, reliable, pretty fast too.. 

cheap, reliable, pretty fast too.. 

Good look on the info. @proper english I am deciding what RAID class to go with now when it comes to getting one. I have a friend who is telling me to research RAID 5 and avoid RAID 0. Sure it is faster, but it all depends on whether you want to protect and back up or accumulate and share from what I can tell. But I will post more tomorrow.

@djuzi05 I was thinking about getting one just to practice with using a NAS for personal setup. How much did you get yours for? My only complaint is that 1TB isn't enough, nor will 1 NAS be enough in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom