~NEW. Houston. TEXANS. Preseason Thread 2017~ Pats @ NRG

Well this is just wonderful

Jadeveon Clowney ruled out for Green Bay game

The Texans' defense suffered a major blow Saturday when standout defensive end Jadeveon Clowney was downgraded to out for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers. Clowney didn't make the trip to Wisconsin for the Texans' road game at Lambeau Field. Clowney has been dealing with elbow and wrist injuries throughout the season, taking a toll on the 6-5, 270 pound former top overall pick. Clowney had dealt with a myriad of health problems in his first two NFL seasons, including undergoing microfracture knee surgery as a rookie. He had been relatively healthy this season after converting to end from outside linebacker after J.J. Watt suffered a season-ending back injury. Clowney has three sacks and is tied for fourth in the league with a career-high dozen tackles for losses. Without Clowney, a difficult task against elusive Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers just became even tougher.

Every single positive play ran by the Packers has been because of Kareem Jackson. He's been flat out trash for a month, maybe even more.

So much disgust for this team. Blown opportunities no matter the game. What's even more insulting is that Brock actually played relatively well. But Hopkins and Griffin (and I think CJF) dropped so many passes. Also, I was all for going for it on 4th and 1 early in the game, but the goofy *** play-call had no chance of happening. Such a failure of a team right now, as I don't see them winning more than 2 games, and unfortunately, they'll probably lose the most important ones, against the Colts and Titans, and find themselves out of the playoffs.

Kareem Jackson has been embarrassing for most of the season, even before he got injured. The defense held on for a long time, and in vintage Texan fashion, they ruined it with 2-3 big plays. There wasn't enough pressure most of the game, but Charles James slipping and Kareem's defense in general directly led to Packers TDs. 13-21. Fitting end as Novak missed a PAT. This team is 6-6, and looks every bit of it.

I'm already looking forward to next season cause this team as of now is not going to get it done. Even if we do make it to the playoffs we're going to get eliminated in the first round again. I just hope it isn't a 30-0 beat down like last year. The main thing I hope to happen this off-season is that Hopkins doesn't leave, somehow Brock gets better. Martin, Johnson, Watt and Clowney are 100%. OB fixes/dumb down the play book. We have a great draft.

That slip and fall in the snow proved costly for James:

The Texans placed cornerback Charles James on waivers Monday and replaced him with Al-Hajj Shabazz, who was claimed on waivers from Pittsburgh.
James, 26, was playing in his third season, his second with the Texans. In Sunday's 21-13 loss at Green Bay, he replaced the injured Johnathan Joseph in the fourth quarter of a 7-7 game, slipped and allowed a touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson.

James is 5-9, 185, and the coaches wanted to get larger at his position. Shabazz is 6-2, 201. He's 24 and appeared in five games with the Steelers this season.

I'm already looking forward to next season cause this team as of now is not going to get it done. Even if we do make it to the playoffs we're going to get eliminated in the first round again. I just hope it isn't a 30-0 beat down like last year. The main thing I hope to happen this off-season is that Hopkins doesn't leave, somehow Brock gets better. Martin, Johnson, Watt and Clowney are 100%. OB fixes/dumb down the play book. We have a great draft.

I mentioned before, but the ideal scenario for me would be for the Texans to win the division, the Chiefs win the AFC West, and somehow having the Raiders drop to #6(?), they come to NRG and Derek Carr lights us the **** up with 500 yards while McNair and Smith are standing right there on the sidelines with that stupid *** look on their faces.

I mentioned before, but the ideal scenario for me would be for the Texans to win the division, the Chiefs win the AFC West, and somehow having the Raiders drop to #6(?), they come to NRG and Derek Carr lights us the **** up with 500 yards while McNair and Smith are standing right there on the sidelines with that stupid *** look on their faces.

:rofl:

glad to see we've finally acknowledge the need for bigger DBs. It's only taken the entire duration of our franchise's existence :lol:

Also, I'm hearing a lot about the TE's in this year's draft. I've been a big OJ Howard fan, but there's multiple other guys looking good...If the position is deep with talent, I fully expect Rick to not draft a TE :lol:

Last edited:

:rofl:

glad to see we've finally acknowledge the need for bigger DBs. It's only taken the entire duration of our franchise's existence :lol:

Also, I'm hearing a lot about the TE's in this year's draft. I've been a big OJ Howard fan, but there's multiple other guys looking good...If the position is deep with talent, I fully expect Rick to not draft a TE :lol:

It really has been the existence :lol: JJoe, Kareem, and James could play perfect coverage, but end up getting beat due to sheer size. They kept beating the "he has long arms" "he's very rangy" thing over people's heads with Fred Bennett, but he sucked. Hindsight is something, but wow was signing Ed Reed over re-signing Glover Quin was a botch. So many two steps forward, 4 steps back moves with this team.

And as far as the draft, with all that you mentioned, I expect them to take the best DE/LB available

Last edited:
HOUSTON -- Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney said he will play in Sunday's AFC South showdown against the Colts.

Clowney, who has been dealing with a wrist and elbow injury, did not travel to Green Bay this past Sunday to face the Packers. Clowney said it was "very difficult" to miss that game.

"I want to be out there to help my team," Clowney said. "But I felt like if I was out there, I wouldn't help them as much as I could have, so I didn't think it was a good idea for me to play."

Clowney has been the Texans' best defensive player this season, stepping up after defensive end J.J. Watt was put on injured reserve following back surgery in late September.

In 11 games this season, Clowney has three sacks and 34 tackles. He has been playing all over the field this season, moving from primarily outside linebacker to defensive end. With OLB John Simon dealing with a chest injury, Clowney played more there in the Texans' Week 11 and Week 12 games than he had earlier in the season.

The former No. 1 overall pick has dealt with injuries in his first two NFL seasons. In 2014, he significantly injured his knee, needing two surgeries to repair the lateral meniscus tear.

Last season, he missed time with an injured back and a Lisfranc sprain in his right foot. Before Sunday, Clowney had not missed a game this season despite dealing with elbow and wrist injuries.

The Texans, Colts and Tennessee Titans are tied atop the AFC South with 6-6 records.

And as far as the draft, with all that you mentioned, I expect them to take the best DE/LB available

:lol: word.... keeping our free DE/LB farm system for the rest of the league in an operational status. At least we keep the best of them, i guess

Hey man in that league you can never have enough good pass rushing.

Unfortunately we probably will have to draft one as a necessity due to Watt being out. I know he'll be back next year, but you just always have to be weary about back injuries

Not sure if I felt more apathetic about this team towards the end of a season compared to years past. Even the last two 9-7 seasons had more optimism near the end than this one

From ABC13:

The Colts aren't a .500 team by accident. Their defense ranks 29th in the league and the Texans need to take advantage of that to win a critical AFC South match-up.

The keys to a Texans win start with DeAndre Hopkins.
#Texans Osweiler: this is the biggest game of our season.

— Greg Bailey (@GregBailey13) December 7, 2016

His late touchdown in Green Bay was just his fourth touchdown catch of the season. That's not enough.

Hopkins needs to do his part by breaking open against coverage. Then it's up to Brock Osweiler to deliver the ball.

Vince Wilfork delivers key #2. Frank Gore gashed the Texans back in October, leading a rushing attack that produced 161 yards for the Colts.

Wilfork told us the Texans have to shut down Indy's running game this time around.
2?4? hours.#BeatTheColts#WeAreTexans pic.twitter.com/wMENBXNCZB

— #Texans (@xWeAreTexans) December 10, 2016

Let Andrew Luck operate with a hot rushing attack and it will be a long day.

Lastly Whitney Mercilus. He leads the Texans with 5 sacks.

Pressure is a must against Luck, but it has to be the right kind of pressure. Get outside your rushing lanes and Luck can find room to run.

Bill O'Brien explained that Luck runs to throw. He'll always keep his eyes downfield and is a threat to throw deep once plays break down.

It's a long list for the Texans but if you want to win the division title this is one the Texans need to win.

From ABC13:

His late touchdown in Green Bay was just his fourth touchdown catch of the season. That's not enough.

Hopkins needs to do his part by breaking open against coverage. Then it's up to Brock Osweiler to deliver the ball.

Thumbs down to whoever wrote this article. I got heat for any media outlet/analyst that scapegoats or even alludes to Nuk's separation. :Lol. It's getting annoying to hear. His entire career has been built on precision route running and great hands. He doesn't need a ton of separation. Brock just needs to stop making erratic throws. You can throw the ball various ways in hop's direction and he's gonna catch it. There's some sort of art to it tho. You can't throw crossing routes behind players, over their head, throw jump balls low, throw back shoulder intended passes to the inside. Anyways. The key to the Texans winning is Brock being the least bummy as possible.

From ABC13:

Thumbs down to whoever wrote this article. I got heat for any media outlet/analyst that scapegoats or even alludes to Nuk's separation. :Lol. It's getting annoying to hear. His entire career has been built on precision route running and great hands. He doesn't need a ton of separation. Brock just needs to stop making erratic throws. You can throw the ball various ways in hop's direction and he's gonna catch it. There's some sort of art to it tho. You can't throw crossing routes behind players, over their head, throw jump balls low, throw back shoulder intended passes to the inside. Anyways. The key to the Texans winning is Brock being the least bummy as possible.

Pretty much. Out of all the interceptions Brock has thrown this year that went Hopkins way, I'd say there's a max of two passes that he could pin on Hopkins not going all out for it. Outside of that, Brock has just made silly passes. Overthrows, under-throws, firing the ball when he should be putting some touch on it, etc. etc. I blamed the line shuffling earlier in the season on his bad play, but that was negated once he was provided some stability here and there and he was still making mistakes.

Probably not all that important since he wasn't getting the ball anyway, but Jaelen Strong was placed on IR. I'll be watching the game, but I don't have too much optimism for this game nor the rest of the season. Feels like a waste.

Good win, but if we're competent we blow that awful Colts team out. So many points were left on the field.

Brock's overall numbers were awful again, but he did make some really good throws when we needed it.

I've never been an Blue fan, but he looked like the better back today between him and Miller, despite what the numbers show.

Good win, but if we're competent we blow that awful Colts team out. So many points were left on the field.

Brock's overall numbers were awful again, but he did make some really good throws when we needed it.

I've never been an Blue fan, but he looked like the better back today between him and Miller, despite what the numbers show.

I was really hoping Demps and Hal(??) ran those picks bacl for TDs cause I just knew our offense would stall and lead to FGs, so predictable. And you're right about Blue and Miller too. I'm just not sure if Miller is fully recovered from his shoulder injury, but both had good runs today and balanced the offense. The Texans really overcame a lot of stuff to win today, including self-inflicted wounds. 3 gaffs by Nelson (including a 41 yard PI that directly resulted in points :x), over 100 yards in penalties, bad spots, and that really ****** lucky catch by Hilton that should have been a 4th down followed by a punt. Clowney was a monster out there, him sacking Luck for that fumble had to be the biggest play of the game. I surely thought the Texans would manage to lose today, win the next two, then lose in TN to finish 8 - 8. They really should some guts. Still up in the air going forward with them, cause some of the play-calling was still atrocious. Texans would be killing them by running the ball, and they'd call stupid passing plays at the wrong time.

View media item 2258798View media item 2258799View media item 2258800View media item 2258801View media item 2258802

INDIANAPOLIS -- These were the plays the Houston Texans' 2014 No. 1 pick expected to make when he entered the NFL.

On third-and-goal at the Houston 3-yard-line in the third quarter, defensive end Jadeveon Clowney beat Indianapolis Colts tight end Dwayne Allen to get to quarterback Andrew Luck for the strip-sack, and the Texans recovered the fumble. At the time, the Texans were up just 16-10, and Luck had led the Colts down the field on a nine-play-and-counting drive.

“The play before that they tried to block me with the tight end, and I stood him up,” Clowney said. “Then they tried to come back with the same play. This time they tried to pass. I went around him, put a step on him, went around him and got a sack and tried to strip the ball.”

In 12 games this season, Clowney has 44 combined tackles, four sacks and nine tackles for a loss.

And though Clowney only played 17 games in this first two seasons while dealing with injuries, he said he never lost the confidence that has been on display this season, as he has been one of the Texans' best defensive players.

"My confidence has been high since I got here, really,” Clowney said. “Injuries kind of held me back since I got here, but I always knew I could play in this league and be a good player for the Texans. I just had to get healthy and just go out there and show it on the field.”

Clowney said he thought that sack was the most important play he has made in this three years in Houston, calling it “a big play in a critical moment of the game, and it finished this one out.”

The strip-sack was the first of his career, and the sack was his fourth of the season. Outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus recovered the fumble to give the Texans the ball at their own 14. The Texans scored what turned out to be the game-winning field goal on that possession.

"That was huge," Texans owner Bob McNair said. "They were down there ready to score, and it just turned it around completely. That's what he does. He's an extraordinary player and can make big plays when we need them."

Clowney has been playing through wrist and elbow injuries this season and missed his first game of the season in the Texans’ Week 13 loss to the Green Bay Packers. Clowney said it felt “great” to be back after missing the game last Sunday.

“Guys were missing me last week, and I was missing them guys,” Clowney said. “All week long, they were telling me, we miss you, we need you back out there. So to come out here, a big play like that, to put us in position to help win this game was very big for us.”

The Texans were also missing veteran cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who injured his ribs against the Packers. Clowney said the front seven told the secondary that they were going to try to take the pressure off them by getting to Luck and hitting him.

One of Clowney’s three quarterback hits came at the beginning of the third quarter when he hit Luck from behind as he was making a throw which was intercepted by safety Andre Hal. Clowney’s three quarterback hits were a single-game career-high and gave him 14 for the season. Clowney also had three tackles.

"He practiced well, and he was ready to go," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said. "Needs to do it every week. We’re going to need him bad down the stretch here.”

From Chron:
Brennan Scarlett on IR-designated for return
The Texans could be getting some reinforcements at outside linebacker. Rookie outside linebacker Brennan Scarlett returned to practice Thursday and remains on injured reserve, but was designated for return. Under NFL rules, the Texans have 21 days to activate Scarlett or he'll remain on injured reserve for the remainder of the season. An undrafted rookie from Stanford, Scarlett has shown potential as a pass rusher and on special teams. The Texans like Scarlett's size (6-4, 260) and aggressiveness. He has two tackles in five games. During the preseason, he was one of the Texans' more productive pass rushers. Scarlett had 5 ½ sacks, eight tackles for losses and 37 tackles in his lone season at Stanford and was named honorable-mention All-Pac 12 Conference. At Cal, he had 54 career tackles, 4 ½ sacks and nine tackles for losses.

Keith Mumphery's role increasing with Texans
Texans wide receiver Keith Mumphery's opportunities are increasing as injuries mount for the Texans' offense. Mumphery started his first game of the season Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, catching two passes for 16 yards. Mumphery is expected to remain in the lineup as the third receiver with Braxton Miller and Jaelen Strong out for the season on injured reserve. Mumphery has four receptions for 18 yards this season. "I'm very excited," said Mumphery, a fifth-round draft pick last year from Michigan State who caught 14 passes for 129 yards as a rookie as he played in every game and started three times. "At the end of the day, I'm here to do my and job and what's asked of me and whatever I can to help my teammates win. I have a lot of confidence. A lot of confidence, I go out there every day and work hard along with my teammates."

Texans' Whitney Mercilus sidelined with back injury
Texans veteran outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus was downgraded on the injury report to not practicing due to a back injury. Mercilus was limited in practice Wednesday. At this point, Mercilus isn't considered to be in danger of missing Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz and offensive guard Jeff Allen didn't practice and remain in the NFL concussion protocol. Outside linebacker John Simon (chest) and cornerback Johnathan Joseph (ribs) worked on the side, but didn't practice. Reserve safety Don Jones (illness) didn't practice again. The following players were limited: offensive tackle Chris Clark (ankle), defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (elbow, wrist), middle linebacker Brian Cushing (back, ankle), kick returner Tyler Ervin (ribs), wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring), linebacker Benardrick McKinney (wrist) and running back Lamar Miller (ankle, ribs). Defensive end Antonio Smith (foot) was upgraded to full participation after being limited Wednesday.

Welp, looks like Mercilius, CJF, and Jeff Allen are all out for tomorrow's game, as if we didn't need more bodies going down. I figured Allen and CJF would be out cause of concussion protocol, but didn't know about Mercilius' injury.

Also, because Brennan Scarlett was activated, Al-Hajj Shabazz was cut. He was a corner from the Steelers if no one noticed.

Hopefully Denzel Rice is clutch on special teams again :nerd:

Wendell Williams was promoted to the active roster 2 days ago. I figured they wouldn't roll with just 3 WRs :lol: Stephen Anderson should be getting more looks today with CJF out.

Back
Top Bottom