~NEW. Houston. TEXANS. Preseason Thread 2017~ Pats @ NRG

trash. lol. its noteven just about who we drafted. its about who we havent drafted at that position. its also about who we've passed at QB to draft other positions. I cant think of another organization that has had a defense like ours for so long.....that's been so bad at finding a QB

bucky richardson and engram also need evaluation at the TE position. Engram is like a hybrid TE/WR though

I legit haven't seen Njoku play. Leggett can ball though

Last edited:
Well I agree a QB or a certain offensive lineman is more important than a safety but that isn't what you said.

You said

Better/coverage linebackers would limit the amount of need placed on a safety.

And I disagree with that.

More athletic LBs > a safety. We'd need linebackers way more than a safety. The Pats shined that spotlight on them huge, but it's been a problem dating back to 2012 where we'd get poop'd all over by simple wheel routes.

What pisses me off is when RBs were ******** on us this season why didn't crennel add another DB / Safety onto the field in passing downs and have them shadow them :smh:

(if it werent obvious, i was talking about our first pick)

at a high level, i agree those needs are higher...

applicably, I don't think so.

QB might be the most volatile position to draft. If you draft high and miss (when you're not quite the QB whisperer) would set you back like 2 seasons
I rock with OL, but we just spent money in FA and drafted Nick Martin. LB I also rock with, but considering how good our defense is, that is a position I think we could afford to look for later in the draft or a diff year

Dynamic TE is very critical b/c I think its very likely Brock is the starter next season (regardless of drafting a QB) and b/c there's lower risk potential imo. I'm pretty sure we'd find somebody better than Fedorowitz either way. It's all relative

Well I agree a QB or a certain offensive lineman is more important than a safety but that isn't what you said.

You said

More athletic LBs > a safety. We'd need linebackers way more than a safety. The Pats shined that spotlight on them huge, but it's been a problem dating back to 2012 where we'd get poop'd all over by simple wheel routes.

And we been trotting out JAGs at safety minus Danieal Manning since 2002 :lol:

I'm all for drafting a LB or a safety, whoever the team has graded out higher........if you trust their ability in that but that's a whooooole nother discussion.

You said

And we been trotting out JAGs at safety minus Danieal Manning since 2002 :lol:

I'm all for drafting a LB or a safety, whoever the team has graded out higher........if you trust their ability in that but that's a whooooole nother discussion.

Ehhh cant argue with that :lol: Just feel like they can fit any safety in there and be alright, LB is just much more of a necessity

Last edited:
Last edited:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but to not be hit as bad on the cap, the best option would be to keep Brock on the roster for the next season, regardless if he is a backup or not?

Correct. There's really no way they can just flat out cut him :lol:

This breaks down how Osweiler's contract effects the cap. A lot to read but it goes into detail about everything

http://www.battleredblog.com/2017/1/23/14345610/brock-osweilers-contract-and-texans-2017-salary-cap

II. Texans waive Brock at the end of 2017 NFL season (before June 1, 2018):
2018: $6 million cap hit. Accelerated balance of remaining signing bonus carryover of $6 million ($3 million from 2018 and $3 million from 2019).

2019: No cap hit.

III. Texans waive Brock at the end of 2017 NFL season (June 1, 2018 or designated):

2018: $3 million cap hit.

2019: $3 million cap hit.

2020: No cap hit.

only 2 realistic options imo

Unless we're persuing some other impactful player/trade or trying to pay somebody we already have. Keeping him still sounds like the most obvious decision considering he only has one more "guaranteed year"

Last edited:
Though I don't 100% agree with this article (really just the salary cap stuff, especially after the previous detailed article was posted), I do always enjoy Houston Press articles cause it seems like they actually know what's going on and have some sensibility with the teams here, unlike most national media outlets when it comes to Houston teams.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-brock-osweiler-signing-was-a-complete-failure-9135279

So with the money Brock is making, it seems like he could only be replaced with a rookie :lol:

Had heard on the radio the other day that the plan is to bring in a veteran that would like to win now and take less money to do so, along with a premium draft pick being used on a QB. There was no mention of Brock, so we'll see what happens in the next coming months.

Last edited:
Had heard on the radio the other day that the plan is to bring in a veteran that would like to win now and take less money to do so, along with a premium draft pick being used on a QB. There was no mention of Brock, so we'll see what happens in the next coming months.

if we bring in a "win now veteran" that we legitimately think can start and spend a first round pick on a QB, we're trash

Last edited:
:lol:. that's trash man. obvious moves to be made. we aren't simply a QB away. We have various critical positions to address.

ODing at positions is already something we've done that hasn't reaped the overall benefit b/c of guys leaving or having holes at positions that make it hard for your other key players to be effective. hell, in my mind JJ watt didn't play this year b/c we haven't done a good job drafting in positions around him or keeping him (and others) off the field. its just very multi-dimensional and has a cascading effect (imo). I know we've done things well, but that's not mutually exclusive.

I would argue and say we are just a QB away :lol:

We had one of the best defenses in the league without arguably the best defensive player in football.

Teams have won with meh offenses before.

This would have been a year to capitalize on the rest of the league being relatively weak too.

:lol:. that's trash man. obvious moves to be made. we aren't simply a QB away. We have various critical positions to address.

ODing at positions is already something we've done that hasn't reaped the overall benefit b/c of guys leaving or having holes at positions that make it hard for your other key players to be effective. hell, in my mind JJ watt didn't play this year b/c we haven't done a good job drafting in positions around him or keeping him (and others) off the field. its just very multi-dimensional and has a cascading effect (imo). I know we've done things well, but that's not mutually exclusive.

I honestly dont have the slightest idea what you're saying, or even trying to say.

ehh, imo theres no way we beat the pats (and other teams) without upgrading OL (and coverage LB/S)

we'll compete more, but beat? nah (imo)

Back
Top Bottom