new puppy? vol. old dog's sad

picked up a new puppy and my puppy punks on my current dog, the pup is a girl and my current dog is a boy.. she keeps wanting to play and when she jumps on himhe just walks/runs away then becomes depressed.. anyone know how to fix this? p.s. taking care of a pup is a %^&*(
mad.gif

Give it time. I did this when I had 2 old dogs. I bought a new one and he eventually got the others to be more active. They'd never play really, but theolder dogs would show the new dog the house and the backyard and everything. It helped train my puppy too, I barely had to do anything after teaching him notpiss all over the house.

Originally Posted by JPTHE3

boy dog is prob gay.
ohwell.gif

or the dog is just not a pedo.

Old dog is depressed because it feels that his master (YOU) have replaced him

Why would you betray your buddy like that?

Well the older dog shouldn't be allowing the puppy to jump on him. Just take charge and correct the puppy when she jumps on him. The older dog is movingaway from the situation. The older dog will come around.

Originally Posted by Club29

Originally Posted by JPTHE3

boy dog is prob gay.
ohwell.gif

or the dog is just not a pedo.

Old dog is depressed because it feels that his master (YOU) have replaced him

Why would you betray your buddy like that?
EXACTLY, it's feeling jealous

Same thing happened when my family got a puppy as well. In the first weeks or so most of the family's attention was going to the new dog. Training it,taking pictures, etc etc. Old dog seemed to just be sad watching by himself on the sidelines. I noticed and just made sure not to leave him out. While the restof the family was understandably excited about new dog I made sure to give a good amount of attention to him as well.

The whole family could be just watching to see what type of dumb/cute puppy things the new dog would do and I'd just chill out next to my old dog, pettinghim, talking to him, playing with him, and just chilling with him in general. I didn't ignore the new puppy by any means I just took it upon myself to tryto even out how much attention was being paid to each dog. After not too long my older dog was acting cool again. He adjusted to the new situation well and heand new puppy became best of friends.

Just try to include the older dog in whatever your doing because it's easy to get caught up in raising the puppy and forget that your other dog isn'tgetting as much attention as he used to. Make him feel like he's not being replaced but just that you brought him a new best friend.

It's not good to introduce a new dog after you've had one for awhile. You got to understand that dog's lives are based of routine and consistency.So when you introduce a new dog their whole system has to be reorganized.

They recommend that you either get two puppy at once or just one.

If you brought a pup home, you were suppose to go hide it in a room so your old dog could go find it.

dont let people who visit just have fun and talk to the new pup. they need to be on equal playing fields.

Originally Posted by Nktran001

If you brought a pup home, you were suppose to go hide it in a room so your old dog could go find it.

Really?

What's the reason?

Back
Top Bottom