NEW YORK METS 2016 SEASON THREAD

Duda needs to stop swinging at garbage also...and I give Wright a slight pass, but he's been waiting years for this...he needs to step up!

Tough loss.

I am proud of Mets players. Gordon's homer was a surprise. High fastball sinker. Royals are nearly unbeatable at home.

Wright did well. He, Yo and Duda swung way late often. I hope they fix their problem ASAP.

Cuddyer is done. :smh:

What Terry really needs to do is put Ces in left, bring Lagares in at center and let Conforto DH...Cuddyer needs to ride the pine for the rest of the series and only be used if a game goes into the 20th inning.

Last night was a huge letdown, but I honestly feel like the Mets have the advantage for the next few games...deGrom against a shaky Cueto tonight should mean a W...Syndergaard and Matz are better than their 3-4 pitchers, especially at home...and then the Dark Knight in Game 5 for the 'ship

Exactly what I was thinking with Cespedes in left, Lagares in CF and Conforto to DH. Cuddyer looked terrible at the plate, off-balance, swinging at garbage. You'd think at his age, with his experience, he'd be more clutch. But no. We need to dump him this off-season. Lagares showed a lot yesterday, bunting for a single (he should do that more) and that long at-bat which ended in a single. 8)

i give wright a break because of his spine, but yeah. he needs to be sharper.

Duda needs to stop swinging at garbage also...and I give Wright a slight pass, but he's been waiting years for this...he needs to step up!

I dont understand why Wright gets a pass. He's injured? Then sit on the *&^% bench. Youre a liability and taking playing time away from those who are healthy and could possibly contribute more. He tried stealing 2nd base. On one hand, I appreciate the aggressiveness, but you have a spine injury, you cannot run dude. :smh:

Last edited:
Cuddyer is straight trash. sit him down the rest of the series then trade him in the off season for a bag of peanuts.

My heart broke when Familia gave up that HR, but he's been lights out all throughout the playoffs so I can't really fault him. Plus we had plenty of opportunities to score more runs.

Insult to injury that i stood up to watch the entire game, and then had to wake up in 4 hours for work lol :x

I said game 1 of the Dodgers series, Cuddyer's geriatric *** had no biz being out there. Cost us dearly yesterday.

DeGrom on tonight though, full-rest, letskeditttttt

Need to bounce back and quickly!!! deGrom has proven time and again and hopefully with Cueto being in the NL all those years the Mets have seen him before no doubt. Do we own him?? Can't recall.

Famila threw a bad pitch and paid for it, he'll close it out tonight.

The worst thing the Mets did last night was not draw any walks on Young, the Mets got themselves out when he pitched.

deGrom needs to throw a gem tonight and I believe he will.

The Mets in 6 with Harvey and deGrom throwing gems in game 5 and 6.

Don't know how y'all feel but that umpire was not giving the Mets pitchers the same calls he was giving the Royals pitchers

the low ones

Juan lagares.  he needs to play.  been very good at the plate in the AB's he's had all postseason.  agree with cuddyer.  he's too old and hurt.  good game.  better one coming tonight!

Mets gave that one away, but the Royals will use their speed to really test this Mets defense out, few plays were left on the field.

Split on the road would be ideal with deGrom tonight, favorable matchup.

I think we will see Cespedes in left, Lagares in center, and Conforto or Uribe (if he is able to) as a DH tonight.

Last edited:
Don't know how y'all feel but that umpire was not giving the Mets pitchers the same calls he was giving the Royals pitchers

It was very inconsistent from the beginning of the game. I mentioned it a few times last night on Twitter.

I'm still a bit upset from last night's game mostly because I watched the entire thing only for them to lose. It was more about the Mets than it was the Royals. Mental mistakes and bad at bats doomed them. During extras it just seemed like they were tired and wanted to go to the hotel since they were hacking away. They had more than enough opportunities to seize Game 1 and gave them all away. They have to come out sharper tonight or they are in serious trouble going back to Citi.

Cuddyer should have seen his last at bats of the season. Terry Collins has this loyalty to his players and while I understand it, this is the wrong time for it. You wasted Conforto's bat by having the DH and defensive alignment with Lagares come in during the 6th. If you are going to go with Lagares and Cespedes, have Michael bat DH. Where was Uribe? He's a better hitter than Cuddyer. Sucks knowing that he'll be back next season because he's owed more than he got this year.

Cuddyer should have not been in the game, then again Lagaraes was put it in and did amazing, so I cant be too mad at Terry for his decisions

Layed in my bed in silence when familia gave up that hr, 2 outs was needed man

Last edited:
we were 2 outs away from the W man

:smh:

With some adjustments in our lineup, and better hitting, we can take this series.

Yoenis Cespedes shows every risk of his megabucks free agency

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Yoenis Cespedes plays two huge games at once these days. The World Series, of course.

And the World Series of baseball poker. In that one, the game is about winning hearts and minds and — ultimately — a huge wad of cash.

He is trying to convince an industry — Mets ownership and those of any team with deep pockets and a need for a slugger — that his quick-twitch genius outweighs a suspicion that he is not someone who should be trusted with lots of years and money on a contract.

What New York has learned up close about Cespedes is there is a Dominique Wilkins Human Highlight Film aspect to the guy. But, like Wilkins, there is a combination of the spectacular and a persistent wonder whether he is a winning player. He has played for four organizations since July 2014 and that is because he is in demand. But is it also because his old clubs do not mind saying goodbye?

By the time the Royals finalized a 5-4 victory in 14 innings and five-plus hours early Wednesday, Cespedes’ highlight moment of World Series Game 1 had faded somewhat. But how he handled the play and the aftermath was not a positive.

Before the 111th World Series was one inning old, Cespedes had missed the pregame call to the base line because, one Mets official said, he was in the bathroom and then missed a first-inning fly ball by Alcides Escocbar that went for an inside-the-park homer.

On that play — off Matt Harvey’s first pitch — Escobar drove a ball just shy of the warning track in left-center. Left fielder Michael Conforto said he thought he heard Cespedes call for it. Cespedes said he did no such thing. Cespedes put up a desperate backhand, missed the ball, had it carom off his leg way toward left field and Esocbar circled the bases easily.

Conforto, a rookie, was quickly to his locker in the postgame and took responsibility, saying “that ball can’t get down, it must be caught. … I definitely had a chance to make a play and didn’t.”

Cespedes, a veteran who wants long-term riches, stalled and stalled before begrudgingly answering questions and never being accountable about the play.

The rule is on a 50-50 ball the center fielder has priority, but Cespedes spoke vaguely of a shift taking him out of position. Nevertheless, one Mets official said bluntly, “That is the center fielder’s ball.”

Cespedes had one positive in this game, singling in the sixth and coming around to score on a Conforto sac fly to medium left, from where the only left fielder with a chance to throw out the speedy Cespedes would have been Cespedes.

Power arm. Power legs. Power bat.

It is the package that makes Cespedes so desirable, on the trade market and this coming offseason on the free-agent market.

And if the story ended there, Cespedes would no doubt receive a six-year deal this winter for $150 million — perhaps more in both length and dollars.

It doesn’t. Cespedes worries the Mets and other teams. What will organizations think of Cespedes walking the course for 18 holes of golf even on game days? What will they think about mental holidays once he has the security of a long-term deal? Some executives who have had Cespedes portray a good teammate and hard worker, and some offer the opposite. If you like Cespedes, you see eccentricity within a magnetic star. If you don’t, you see a diva.

And it is amazing how quickly thoughts and emotions change about players. For most of the last two regular-season months — when Cespedes was carrying the team — Mets fans were all but ready to set up a fund to help the Wilpons pay for him. Imagine if I had told you on Oct. 1 that by the end of this month, most of the fan base would want Daniel Murphy re-signed and would be OK letting Cespedes head off to his fifth team?

Cespedes went 1-for-6 in this game and fanned twice, giving him 13 strikeouts in 40 plate appearances. That he feasts on ordinary pitching and is susceptible to high-end stuff also will concern suitors — the Mets included.

The reality is the Mets never were likely to pay Cespedes at the top of the market and the expectation is he will go to the top bidder.

Still, he could spruce his status with a strong World Series. But it has not begun well. His goodwill with Mets fans is melting. He plays now the World Series — and World Series of baseball poker — to try to win back hearts, minds and ultimately a huge wad of cash.

Welcome to New York. The limelight is really on him now.

Mets gave that one away, but the Royals will use their speed to really test this Mets defense out, few plays were left on the field.

Split on the road would be ideal with deGrom tonight, favorable matchup.

I think we will see Cespedes in left, Lagares in center, and Conforto or Uribe (if he is able to) as a DH tonight.
im fine with lagares starting tonight because he hit well. I'm not gonna complain about cespedes in CF since he's a good CF, he just hot dogged that fly ball like a punk.

i really wish we had matt reynolds still on the roster, flores gets hurt we're screwed. and who knows how not having a backup ss limits uribe's usage.

I ain't worried about Cespedes. He'll bounce back.

We must get a win tonight.

conforto is in the DH spot tonight.  
pimp.gif

Losing game 1 was bad, but the Royals lineup deserves all the credit, they're hitting Harvey, Degrom, and Familia.

If the Mets can't steal this game, they'll just have to return the favor at home. Just want to see Harvey and degrom get a second chance this series

With the way the Mets are hitting, a 3 run lead looms larger. Stranding RISP, hit here, hit there, these are the Mets of old. If they have any shot of winning this series, they need to get back to that 2nd half energy.

Back
Top Bottom