NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've somewhat turned the corner on this. After watching that thing on the Discovery Channel on the Vikings and Steelers, it seemed the Minnesota guys had a lot of fun with experience having spent the entire week there. Not so much for the Steelers, who opted to leave a few days early, but it didn't feel too negative on there end.

My worry is more of what this leads to. It starts with one game, then two, now three and in 10 years a team will call London home. I'm selfish about football being in America and when you take into account the other teams in a division who will have to go there and the team that actually plays in London having to travel 8 times across the world to play games, then it probably will wear thin.
I don't know why you would care on principle if the NBA had a team in London or not.

That said, it doesn't make any sense logistically.  From what I hear the majority of fans who go to these games are ex-pats and not British, anyway.  Along with the travel and tax issues, it's hard to see how this could work.

I really dont see the problem that a lot of you are seeing with having more games in London.  I have heard nothing but positive reviews from players (granted, I haven't looked for articles/reports which illustrate negative ones).  I had a group of friends go to London a few years ago when the Niners were there, and they said the atmosphere at the game and the trip itself were awesome.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I dont see the issue.
I've somewhat turned the corner on this. After watching that thing on the Discovery Channel on the Vikings and Steelers, it seemed the Minnesota guys had a lot of fun with experience having spent the entire week there. Not so much for the Steelers, who opted to leave a few days early, but it didn't feel too negative on their end (except for the loss hehe).

My worry is more of what this leads to. It starts with one game, then two, now three and in 10 years a team will call London home. I'm selfish about football being in America and when you take into account the other teams in a division who will have to go there and the team that actually plays in London having to travel 8 times across the world to play games, then it probably will wear thin.
I dont think, nor am I advocating, that a team will ever call London home.  But what I do think will eventually happen is there will be one game in London every single week of the season, sans week 17.  I think every team will eventually have one game a year in London.....which, again, I dont see a problem with.

[quote name="JJ Watt" url="/t/345476/2013-nfl-season-discussion-thread-week-5/40260#post_18867281"]GabbertBradshaw Ryan MathewsAmendolaGronk ( :nerd: )Bob sandersJPPThomas Davis:nerd:
VickBills RB core[/quote]

Miles Austin is on the practice squad

^ I don't have too big a problem with that either, except it takes away one home game from a team each year. Seems miniscule, but if they lose as the "home team" then would the result had been different it was actually a true home game?

I dont think, nor am I advocating, that a team will ever call London home.  But what I do think will eventually happen is there will be one game in London every single week of the season, sans week 17.  I think every team will eventually have one game a year in London.....which, again, I dont see a problem with.

this is a terrible idea :lol:

if the plan isnt to start a London franchise , what in the world is the point of going each week ? teams lose a home game ; its devastating to west coast teams in terms of the 8 hour time difference . the London fan base just isnt there ... NFL Europe flopped horribly for a reason . its a novelty at this point and that's why it draws big crowds . you really think NFL football can compete week to week against the EPL?

Last edited:
I think teams playing in London is not good at all. In a sport where a team only gets 8 home games, taking one of those away is unfair. Im sure those season ticket holders aren't getting no discount either. If they want to play a pre season game thats fine, but regular season is unfair to the "home team"

@NFL_ATL

Goodell said earliest playoff expansion could be implemented is 2015. Competition committee expected to consider adding 2 teams to playoffs

:nerd:

terrible news for #1 and #2 seeds (im reading that as adding 2 teams per conference)

Last edited:
@NFL_ATL

Goodell said earliest playoff expansion could be implemented is 2015. Competition committee expected to consider adding 2 teams to playoffs

terrible news for #1 and #2 seeds (im reading that as adding 2 teams per conference)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... why would they do this? The NFL playoffs are perfect as is. :smh:

@NFL_ATL

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... why would they do this? The NFL playoffs are perfect as is. :smh:

so 8 teams per conference :smh:

would 1 and 2 seeds lose their bye weeks?

if this happened last season the 10-6 bears and 9-7 giants would have made it....
but the 8-8 steelers and 7-9 chargers/dolphins would have made it.

i'm not for this idea at all.

Falcons should trade Gonzalez to an AFC contender before the deadline............ out of respect.

Broncos
nerd.gif

Anybody know what the deal is with Greg Olsen and if he might miss the game this Sunday? Heard he was spotted in a walking boot yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom