NIKE Air Jordan IV OG White Fire Red: Black Friday 2020: Nov. 28th

Also, I grew up in Greenville SC (1.5 hr from Charlotte) and everybody was rocking a lot of Hornets gear back then so the Grapes were perfect for that.
I was just thinking about my Hornets outfit that I had back in 1992. Larry Johnson and Alonso Mourning were mad hyped to be the next big thing (along with Shaq) I had Johnson's rookie card as well. The NBA and Jordan Brand, which went global with the Dream Team was off the hook that year!

tumblr_pxjjg1KdTM1sdydefo1_400.gif

I lived in Celtics territory as well

Last edited:
As a kid (8th grade and below) the only way to aquire Jordans was to have your parents buy them for you, which was rare in itself due to the high price point.

There were adults who also wore Air Jordans, like my 43 year old gym teacher and my friends father, for example. But they weren't buying multiple pairs or even a new pair every year. Instead, they would be focused on buying homes or cars. Real estate was VERY cheap in the 1980's and early 1990's and affordable compared to today.

The Baby Boom generation (people born between 1945-1965) came of age during the greatest economic boom in human history. This was greatly due to the destruction of European manufacturing during WW2.

Industrial plants in America became the center of production for the entire world. People had good union jobs that were protected with steadily rising wages. But since the 1980's, along with the creation NAFTA in 1993, all US manufacturing has been slowly outsourced to China, Mexico, etc.

America is essentially just a place to shop now. People can't even afford to have kids, let alone purchase a home without being endebted to the banks. This is the end game of neo-liberal capitalism, which is a horrible system imo.
Speaking so much truth. Boomers. They got to have childhoods in 50s and enjoy young adulthood in the 80s. Both decades enjoyed economic explosion. There’s no excuse for boomers to not be wealthy right now. With the cheap real estate they could’ve invested in is yet another reason as you mentioned. With there not being a huge income gap and wages actually increased to offset inflation and cost of living. My dad is also a boomer.

Reminds me of this dude who went by 'Heavy,' a schoolmate of mine. Only really started paying attention to what others wore when the Flints came out, so he could have started pre-K in Bally, for all I know. By today's standards, a rotation of 2-4 kicks in a calendar year is hardly a rotation, yet he was widely regarded as the man for consistently wearing $149.99-$159.99 Nikes before anyone else, e.g., Flint 13s/Black Toe 14s in '98, Flightposites/Stealth 15s in '99, Flint 15s/Flightposite KGs in '00, etc.

'Times have changed' is a gross understatement. Now everybody has a platform, a passion that supposedly predates toilet training and an eagerness to prove something.

I was just thinking about my Hornets outfit that I had back in 1992. Larry Johnson and Alonso Mourning were mad hyped to be the next big thing (along with Shaq) I had Johnson's rookie card as well. The NBA and Jordan Brand, which went global with the Dream Team was off the hook that year!

Hell yeah, Hornets were dope back in those days. New team, cool colors/uniforms and a fun *** squad to watch play (LJ, Zo, Curry, Muggsy, Gill, etc.). I used to go to games at the Hive and it would be crazy pumped up in there.
Speaking of the Celtics, if I remember correctly the Hornets beat them in their first ever playoff appearance.

Hell yeah, Hornets were dope back in those days. New team, cool colors/uniforms and a fun *** squad to watch play (LJ, Zo, Curry, Muggsy, Gill, etc.). I used to go to games at the Hive and it would be crazy pumped up in there.
Speaking of the Celtics, if I remember correctly the Hornets beat them in their first ever playoff appearance.

That was amazing. Alot of kids my age wanted North Carolina to win because like you alluded to, the Charlotte Hornets were like a superhero team with players that looked straight out of a comic book or cartoon. The youth, colors, the moves, the muscle and Mugssy!

afdd7f8bb7ce3018a76dcd34f71efe95.jpg

tumblr_nb1rmiEjet1s65lmlo1_500.jpg

gettyimages-493115093-1024x1024.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

*The Hornets did alot of embracing

It was a monumental moment in Celtics history as the last remnants of the mighty 1986 team were finally done for. It was also the Celtics first season without Bird 🐦🏀💚

OIP (6).jpeg

*and as posted by green rhino123, Reggie Lewis's last game before his untimely death 💔

Last edited:

LJ was the truth before his back gave out on him. I still believe his '90-'91 rebels squad (yes, the one that lost to duke...they beat that same team by 30 in the national championship the year before) is the best college team I've ever seen.

LJ was the truth before his back gave out on him. I still believe his '90-'91 rebels squad (yes, the one that lost to duke...they beat that same team by 30 in the national championship the year before) is the best college team I've ever seen.
The UNLV Rebels were MASSIVE and introduced so many people to college basketball. They were also more hip and appeared to be anti-establishment, as actual rebels, fighting against snooty Duke 🧐
Tribe Called Quest mentions them in their Footsteps song. Last spring I heard that song for the first time in 30 years 😏

Your right, they were also more talented.

Last edited:
The UNLV Rebels were MASSIVE and introduced so many people to college basketball. They were also more hip and appeared to be anti-establishment, as actual rebels, fighting against snooty Duke 🧐
Tribe Called Quest mentions them in their Footsteps song. Last spring I heard that song for the first time in 30 years 😏

Crazy hearing about UNLV, definitely a great campus but right across the street are Trap houses, hookers and Junkies around all day. I have lived in Vegas my whole life and 98% of that was around that area.

That Vegas team remains my all-time favorite college team. It was like the Fab 5 experience a couple years before the actual Fab 5. And the Fab 5 is my next favorite team, and I despise Michigan lol. But I didn’t care what uniform that team wore.

Back
Top Bottom