Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

So I tried the baby powder method to stop the squeaking that is coming from the front of the shoe. It worked temporarily, but now the squeak has returned. I bought a 9.5 in these, but my 3's and 4's are both size 9. I never experienced any squeaking in the 3's or 4's. 

Could the .5 size up be causing the squeaking I am experiencing in these 5's?

Try a different insole. That has worked for me. In fact I changed the insole on these to a different one and that reduced some squeaking I had on my left shoe.

Wore mine to work today and the squeaking started mid-afternoon. More than a little annoyed that I paid $220 for shoes I have to make alterations to. I'll try replacing the insole. If that doesn't work, these are going back.

YOU WANTED OG.. YOU GOT OG..... EVEN THE SQUEAKING 
laugh.gif

If you're storing shoes that you're not going to wear right away, for these anyway, either get rid of the dark plastic wrap and tissue paper and just store the shoes in the box without it, or ball it up as tight as you can and put it in the corner of the box.

For Vs, for pairs that I wear, I just store them loose in a dark closet every second that they're not on my feet. I don't even bother putting them back in the box. It's all about shielding them from ultraviolet light. Light is the absolute worst thing for Vs. It's worked well for my Grapes which are well worn (see the creasing on the toe boxes) and going on 4 years old with zero yellowing, not to mention both my worn Toro Bravos:

View media item 2116245
Is there a reason why taking the paper and plastic out helps preserve Vs or is it just something that you know works but, your not sure why? I'm just wondering I bought 3 pairs and I want them to last.

ShoePalace pair finally arrived......

Shoes are so much better in person. The material is [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

I was originally on the fence due to how bad the 2011's were, but I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I may grab another pair as a backup.

Now we need a true blk/infrared vi retro with Durabuck
View media item 2117152
View media item 2117154

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the track pants I just got in.

These are made of a really good grade of nylon ripstop. They're not quite the same as the crinkly kind used on the black/red OG Jordan V Archive jackets and pants from late 2012. They are more like the insanely expensive ($230) OG AJ IV pullover and matching ($100) pants from around Summer 2012 that I can't imagine very many people bought at retail (I eventually got both, but at massive discounts after they sat online forever).

Anyway, material is pretty nice. These have TWO back pockets fastened with rubber buttons. The Jordan details are all highly reflective. The legs do NOT have zippers, but they do have elastic cuffs that are snug around the cankles, so your reflective V tongues can be on full blinding display.

A few details set these apart from the usual nylon or fleece Jordan pants. They are waist size fitted, like jeans or slacks, i.e. the sizes are 36, 38, 42, 44, etc., yet they still have a drawstring, and are also fastened in the front by a rubber button. They also have a zipper fly. The cut on them is definitely athletic, so there's not much bagginess left over at all. I'm 248 lbs. and went with a 42 waist, and they were a LITTLE looser than snug on me. The length is also not "long as hell," so there won't be excess leg billowing at the ankles if you're shorter than 6'4", LOL.

Back view:

View media item 2117098
Back view with flash:

View media item 2117099
JORDAN script on left leg with flash:

View media item 2117100
Back waistband tag:

View media item 2117101
Front view:

View media item 2117102
Front view with flash:

View media item 2117106
Closer view of the front:

View media item 2117112
IMO, these are :nthat:. WHY is there no matching jacket???

Here are some pics of the track pants I just got in.

These are made of a really good grade of nylon ripstop. They're not quite the same as the crinkly kind used on the black/red OG Jordan V Archive jackets and pants from late 2012. They are more like the insanely expensive ($230) OG AJ IV pullover and matching ($100) pants from around Summer 2012 that I can't imagine very many people bought at retail (I eventually got both, but at massive discounts after they sat online forever).

Anyway, material is pretty nice. These have TWO back pockets fastened with rubber buttons. The Jordan details are all highly reflective. The legs do NOT have zippers, but they do have elastic cuffs that are snug around the cankles, so your reflective V tongues can be on full blinding display.

A few details set these apart from the usual nylon or fleece Jordan pants. They are waist size fitted, like jeans or slacks, i.e. the sizes are 36, 38, 42, 44, etc., yet they still have a drawstring, and are also fastened in the front by a rubber button. They also have a zipper fly. The cut on them is definitely athletic, so there's not much bagginess left over at all. I'm 248 lbs. and went with a 42 waist, and they were a LITTLE looser than snug on me. The length is also not "long as hell," so there won't be excess leg billowing at the ankles if you're shorter than 6'4", LOL.

Back view:

View media item 2117098
Back view with flash:

View media item 2117099
JORDAN script on left leg with flash:

View media item 2117100
Back waistband tag:

View media item 2117101
Front view:

View media item 2117102
Front view with flash:

View media item 2117106
Closer view of the front:

View media item 2117112
IMO, these are :nthat:. WHY is there no matching jacket???

Where did you buy these?

Is there a reason why taking the paper and plastic out helps preserve Vs or is it just something that you know works but, your not sure why? I'm just wondering I bought 3 pairs and I want them to last.

With Vs it's a habit I started with the 2000s. They used to come in acidic tissue paper and years after I got them I read that the paper could contribute to aging, so I went through all my Vs and took the paper from around them. When the newer Vs started coming with the black wrap, I continued with that habit. There's not scientific proof that this helps one way or the other, but you can't argue with the results. All my Vs since 2013 are still pristine, even the ones I wear.

I also store all my Vs in dark, cool closets, which I think helps immensely because it keeps ultraviolet light exposure to a minimum. Back in 2000 I didn't care. I threw my black Vs next to the bed and left them there off and on for weeks. I'd say they lasted a good year to 18 months and then the yellowing started. These Grapes are more than 3 years old and worn a LOT, and still no yellowing, so I really think my storage habits do help.

laugh.gif

Used my WC at FNL for these

and got another WC for $20 off afterwards on my Acct

I guess $220 price point isn't all that bad!

Wore mine to work today and the squeaking started mid-afternoon. More than a little annoyed that I paid $220 for shoes I have to make alterations to. I'll try replacing the insole. If that doesn't work, these are going back.

It is frustrating to say the least. What I did when I got home was lined the front 1/3 of the bottom of the insoles with blue painters tape. That seemed to remedy the squeak......for today.

I called up FinishLine and explained the situation, they basically said I was SOL since they have been worn. I didn't even ask for a refund, but wanted to see if I could exchange the pair for a new pair. She said it would be up to the discretion of the manager.

To be clear, I don't want a refund, I love these shoes, but the squeaking sucks, especially because it did it on day one.

So these squeak? I was already having buyers remorse cause of the price tag, if these really squeak it's the icing on the cake. I'm leaning heavily towards returning them now lol.

If you're storing shoes that you're not going to wear right away, for these anyway, either get rid of the dark plastic wrap and tissue paper and just store the shoes in the box without it, or ball it up as tight as you can and put it in the corner of the box.

For Vs, for pairs that I wear, I just store them loose in a dark closet every second that they're not on my feet. I don't even bother putting them back in the box. It's all about shielding them from ultraviolet light. Light is the absolute worst thing for Vs. It's worked well for my Grapes which are well worn (see the creasing on the toe boxes) and going on 4 years old with zero yellowing, not to mention both my worn Toro Bravos:

View media item 2116245

During the times when Nike used that rough tissue paper, it would cause yellowing to the soles and in the case with the 5's, the netting would turn yellow as well. With the type that they use now, I don't think that will be the case.

Last edited:
@PWGuy
avoid the mesh, i would also avoid the tongue

actually, i spray the proofer onto a car wax sponge first,

then apply to the shoe with da sponge - that way you only get the areas you want

nthat.gif

walmart has these sponges in da car section on da cheap

also - i use this water proofer...

also cheap & at walmart!
Thanks for the response.  I don't know about the sponge technique as that changes how it gets applied.  It's supposed to be sprayed on; not rubbed on.  I usually just use a paper towel to cover the areas that I don't want sprayed as I go around the shoe.  

so for the people who feel that these are snug. Did yall go with ur true size or did you go half a size down?? i went half a size up and i might go a whole size. i feel like on my right foot my big toe is squished by the stiching

Return those squeaky shoes asap!  Clean them up and take them back.  If you're nice/polite to the FNL manager they'll take them back.  If not, Nike will take them back.  Don't put up with that given that you can get a different pair easily.  

I have 3s and 4s that squeak, but it's the plastic back tab rubbing against the leather, which goes away as they're worn.  I have a pair of the original Futures (black/white) that squeaked.  I returned them twice (3 pairs total); they ALL squeaked fairly quickly.  Baby powder never worked for more than a few hours.  I finally used Lithium Spray (similar to WD40); after two rounds of that under the insole and it has been cured ever since.  However, I waited so long to wear them that they sold out before I could exchange them another time.  That's why it's good to wear them asap, and if they squeak return them immediately!  I didn't want to return them to Nike (within the 2 yr limit) b/c I actually really like the shoe and colorway, and what remained on eBay was priced too high, so I spent time resolving the issue.

On another note, did they make more of these than the WC4, or was the demand for that shoe higher; or both?

Back
Top Bottom