Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

If you wear them in the rain and don't step in a lot of dirt/mud, it actually serves the same purpose as you cleaning them. Next time you wear a pair in the rain, take a look at the bottom of your shoe. It cleans them nicely. I used to be afraid of wearing kicks in the rain, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. 

Rain is acidic. Not to mention, there are very few surfaces that wouldn't end up making shoes dirtier when combined with rain. Parking lots being one of the worst. There are much more sensible methods of cleaning shoes.

If you wear them in the rain and don't step in a lot of dirt/mud, it actually serves the same purpose as you cleaning them. Next time you wear a pair in the rain, take a look at the bottom of your shoe. It cleans them nicely. I used to be afraid of wearing kicks in the rain, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. 

old school method

View media item 2093448

I remember i was using simple green to clean my sneakers for a while lol
mean.gif
 and what lesson did we learn from using that?
laugh.gif

I took some quick comparison pics between the 2000 and 2016 pairs.

It's interesting to see how much higher the 2016 tongue is compared to the 2000.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, the 2016 tongue is obnoxiously shiny, almost to the point of being a distraction.

Aside from the tongue, the overall build and quality of the 2016 is really great.

It seems that Nike is making strides in getting back to doing retros the right way.

I was pleasantly surprised with the way the black Supreme 5s came out and these took that momentum a step further. 

It's interesting to see how much higher the 2016 tongue is compared to the 2000.

As I've mentioned in my previous post, the 2016 tongue is obnoxiously shiny, almost to the point of being a distraction.

Aside from the tongue, the overall build and quality of the 2016 is really great.

It seems that Nike is making strides in getting back to doing retros the right way.

I was pleasantly surprised with the way the black Supreme 5s came out and these took that momentum a step further. 
If I had reps to give I certainly would, yeah that tongue is SUPER shiny.  I always thought the tongue on JB shoes now are super high now.

If you look at the OGs on foot, the the wider part of the tongue before it narrows to the top portion is at the top of the shoe; it's supposed to be aligned that way in my opinion; i.e. the tongue is the perfect OG height.  It think it's really the sheen/oil look is the only thing that's off on these, but if that prevents cracking over time, that would be good.  Overall, it's an awesome release.  I just hope JB does this for all future releases.  Personally, I think they'll cut back a bit, but hopefully it'll land somewhere between the WC4 and these.  So long as I can cop on RD without stress, I'm good.  I'm going to wear these asap so if there's s squeaking issue I can buy another pair while they're in stock.  That's the benefit of having these sit for a while!

If you look at the OGs on foot, the the wider part of the tongue before it narrows to the top portion is at the top of the shoe; it's supposed to be aligned that way in my opinion; i.e. the tongue is the perfect OG height.  It think it's really the sheen/oil look is the only thing that's off on these, but if that prevents cracking over time, that would be good.  Overall, it's an awesome release.  I just hope JB does this for all future releases.  Personally, I think they'll cut back a bit, but hopefully it'll land somewhere between the WC4 and these.  So long as I can cop on RD without stress, I'm good.  I'm going to wear these asap so if there's s squeaking issue I can buy another pair while they're in stock.  That's the benefit of having these sit for a while!
I agree that the height of the tongue is closer to the OG 1990 version.

The problem with going back to such a height is that the new 3M material is not nearly as forgiving as the OG and 2000 3M.

The 3M on my 2000 pair is much softer and pliable; allowing it to flex easily when in motion.  

The older 3M also looked great when it wasn't illuminated. 

Again, this is just me nitpicking from being able to go off of a direct comparison.

The 2016s are still a fantastic retro and absolutely worth a purchase.

the 2016 tongue is higher than the 2000, but not by much if one stuffs the 2000 like the 2016 comes

Last edited:

I agree that the height of the tongue is closer to the OG 1990 version.

The problem with going back to such a height is that the new 3M material is not nearly as forgiving as the OG and 2000 3M.

The 3M on my 2000 pair is much softer and pliable; allowing it to flex easily when in motion.  

The older 3M also looked great when it wasn't illuminated. 

Again, this is just me nitpicking from being able to go off of a direct comparison.

The 2016s are still a fantastic retro and absolutely worth a purchase.
Makes sense.  Maybe it'll loosen up with wear and won't be a comfort issue.  I can't comment on the current comfort as I haven't worn them yet.  Need another hour for the spray to dry!

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread but, what kind of spray or protector stuff do you guys use on these?

View media item 2119318

View media item 2119319

View media item 2119320

That's why I don't mess with Vs

That tongue is OD :x :x :x :x

Ive found the best way to keep black durabuck/nubuck looking clean is to hit it with a lint roller. Picks up all the dust without fading the material.

I have a nubuck/suede brush it seems to work pretty good. I'm wondering about that crep stuff or that water proofer you mentioned what kind is good?

did nike just pull the infamous sell out again? 

I was going to order a 12.5 and send back my size 12. I called Nike too and they couldn't find them in their system. The padding on these is great but it's making the shoe fit tighter than normal so I want to check out a half size bigger.

Back
Top Bottom