Nike and Jordan telling resellers to step off

Status
Not open for further replies.
First the surprise restocks and now retros (Fire red Vs, DB9s, and Bred XIs) being made available at the outlets.   Now if the royals show up again, it confirms my suspicion that Nike is taking notice of the resellers.  It makes sense to me.   This basically tells the average sneaker head to wait and be patient if they miss out on their favorite shoes.

I'm actually like it!   What do you think?

im just pissed that i spend 380 on the bred XIs when they first came out. now they keep reretroing them. why didnt nike or jb just maKe enough to go around and call it a day.

im just pissed that i spend 380 on the bred XIs when they first came out. now they keep reretroing them. why didnt nike or jb just maKe enough to go around and call it a day.
It's marketing headache to keep product demand strong. I think their strategy of periodically dumping supply of much sought after shoes post-RD at random outlets and online is a awesome. I at least will be more patient moving forward. And still dream about finally getting a pair of royals...

No. Retros have always been made available at outlets. It's how I got most of my CDPs and my DB 6s.

It's been stated that Nike goes on eBay the day of a release to see how a shoe is doing on the secondary market. They don't hate resellers. If anything, they appreciate them.

Last edited:
When they first dropped they were everywhere and went on sale. What are you talking about?

No. Retros have always been made available at outlets. It's how I got most of my CDPs and my DB 6s.

It's been stated that Nike goes on eBay the day of a release to see how a shoe is doing on the secondary market. They don't hate resellers. If anything, they appreciate them.
Care to enlighten us as to why Nike appreciates the resellers? 

Is it really that hard to understand? If you made a product for $20 and sold it for $250. And then, someone turned around and sold that product you made for over 2k, you wouldn't be excited?

It adds to this false idea that Nike is a luxury brand. You miss out and thirst for the next hot thing. How many times have you heard someone say "I'm only copping these to trade for those" or "I'm picking these up to resell so I can buy those". You wouldn't believe how many times someone has said such and such shoe will be the next South Beach.

In short, it keeps you thirsty and their pockets full.

To gauge demand/price boundaries on how much more $ they could make if they produced more. Nike does not care who buys the shoes, as long as they sell out. The secondary market acts as a tool for Nike to monitor the value since true value can only be determined on an exchange, how much the buyer really will pay for the shoe.

OP thinks B-grade Jordans at an outlet is a new thing 
laugh.gif
 I remember buying A-grade 2001 Bred 11s at the outlets for $99 back in the day. Now OP thinks B-grades Bred 11s for $150 means they're curbing resellers.  When you start buying shoes bro?

Is it really that hard to understand? If you made a product for $20 and sold it for $250. And then, someone turned around and sold that product you made for over 2k, you wouldn't be excited?

It adds to this false idea that Nike is a luxury brand. You miss out and thirst for the next hot thing. How many times have you heard someone say "I'm only copping these to trade for those" or "I'm picking these up to resell so I can buy those". You wouldn't believe how many times someone has said such and such shoe will be the next South Beach.

In short, it keeps you thirsty and their pockets full.
Are you a brand marketing expert?   Because you make it sound so trivial but yet your explanation is simplistic at best. 

As far as I can tell, Nike as a whole doesn't strive to be a luxury brand.   It delivers innovative and premium products--not necessarily luxury products.

The Nike Mission Statement is clear:

To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.

"Every athlete" presumably includes all income brackets.   So, if Nike shoes can only be had by people with deep pockets in the reseller market, IMHO Nike is failing its mission.   Which leads me to believe, it care about getting shoes to everyone even it means killing the reseller market.   While its true reseller help promote the brand, it probably does more harm than good.   Nike has been getting a lot of bad publicity every time a new Jordan retro releases.   People will kill for Jordans.

To gauge demand/price boundaries on how much more $ they could make if they produced more. Nike does not care who buys the shoes, as long as they sell out. The secondary market acts as a tool for Nike to monitor the value since true value can only be determined on an exchange, how much the buyer really will pay for the shoe.
Now this makes more sense but there are better tools out there such as social media (i.e. twitter).   To gauge demand at the expense of customer satisfaction is a poor choice to me.  I wonder if shoe production also have JIT pipelines or they warehouse finished products to throttle availability based on demand.   Regardless, Apple is second only to Nike when it come to marketing prowess.   Heck, even Steve Jobs modeled some of his marketing campaigns after Nike.

laugh.gif
 I remember buying A-grade 2001 Bred 11s at the outlets for $99 back in the day. Now OP thinks B-grades Bred 11s for $150 means they're curbing resellers.  When you start buying shoes bro?
Since 85 and probably been buying Js longer than you.   But who said anything about B-grades?   The DB9 nines and Fire Red Vs that recently hit outlets weren't B-grades.  

Can you confirm if these were indeed B-grades?   I don't think so....

http://sneakersteal.com/2013/04/04/air-jordan-retro-ix-doernbecher/

http://sneakersteal.com/?s=fire+red

http://sneakersteal.com/?s=bred

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if Nike has done a major restock in the past similar to what they pulled off a couple weeks ago?   I have this strange feeling more of such restocks are coming up.

Yea this is a waste of a thread. Reselling increases hype and demand which = more promotion and money for Nike.

laugh.gif

I remember buying A-grade 2001 Bred 11s at the outlets for $99 back in the day. Now OP thinks B-grades Bred 11s for $150 means they're curbing resellers. When you start buying shoes bro?

Since 85 and probably been buying Js longer than you.   But who said anything about B-grades?   The DB9 nines and Fire Red Vs that recently hit outlets weren't B-grades.  

Can you confirm if these were indeed B-grades?   I don't think so....
http://sneakersteal.com/2013/04/04/air-jordan-retro-ix-doernbecher/

http://sneakersteal.com/?s=fire+red

http://sneakersteal.com/?s=bred

This guy did.

any1 know the price on those DB 9's

that's a lot of b-grades lol j/k

They actually were B-grades. Still sold for $175.

Even if Nike and/or Jordan are making efforts to curb resellers (which I doubt, they're just selling more product), restocking does little to nothing in the long run when there's such a wave of desperation among "sneakerheads" that they have to have everything NOW. People are clearly willing to pay more to get these sneakers early or as soon as they release that it sparks a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.

I don't even follow Jordan releases but just ones that I've checked in on over the past few months (Roshe (especially the Mint FB), AM1 Milan & Mint FB now, Inneva Woven, etc) show that it's just as bad as ever. I mean, Nike was adamant that the Milan AM1 were not being released in the US causing people to "have" to pay higher prices if they wanted them), which increased resale values...then, oh by the way, Nike will release them as a TLO, then no TLO.

Decrease in quality, increase in prices, limited quantities...Nike doesn't care about the consumer and how much it will pay to get one of their coveted products. Buying sneakers was never like this and if you really take a step back and look at it, it's insane what's going on right now.

Are you a brand marketing expert?   Because you make it sound so trivial but yet your explanation is simplistic at best. 

As far as I can tell, Nike as a whole doesn't strive to be a luxury brand.   It delivers innovative and premium products--not necessarily luxury products.

The Nike Mission Statement is clear:

To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.

"Every athlete" presumably includes all income brackets.   So, if Nike shoes can only be had by people with deep pockets in the reseller market, IMHO Nike is failing its mission.   Which leads me to believe, it care about getting shoes to everyone even it means killing the reseller market.   While its true reseller help promote the brand, it probably does more harm than good.   Nike has been getting a lot of bad publicity every time a new Jordan retro releases.   People will kill for Jordans.
Do you honestly think nike cares who does and doesn't get a pair? Nike is a business, maximizing shareholder profit is its main concern

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom