Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

Thats YOUR subjective opinion. A lotta people prefer nike over adidas. I personally dont like the rev30 material, some people do and thats fine. And from a FUNCTIONAL perspective nike jerseys are the best of all time.

I can understand why people are bugged by the trim not going around the armhole i personally love it. They are designed for comfortable movement around the scapula and the jerseys are designed so they fold onto themselves - its no longer a circular ‘hole’. Awesome design detail.

That's fine, i mean this site is called niketalk not adidas talk. I don't think adidas using higher quality materials is subjective though. And I think majority would agree that mesh numbers look way better than flat twill numbers on the current Nikes.

The Miami Vice city jerseys are an example where all the colors on the team name and numbers are printed on the same layer. Give adidas or reebok or old Nike that same design? They're stitching each of those colors on separate layers and creating a much more beautiful product, instead of cutting costs and taking the easy/cheap way out under the pretense of making things "lighter" and reducing environmental impact.

Functional? best of all time??? No lol, that's also YOUR subjective opinion. adidas jerseys didn't rip like toilet paper. I also remember reading another member here complain that the quality of the current shorts were trash, way too light and felt like tissue paper. (I disagree since to be clear I don't think current Nikes are trash, I'm just saying that adidas was better).

And regarding the armhole, no offense but if you took a look at it without reading any of Nike's press releases where they explain that it's for increased movement, would you really like it that much? I don't think so but if you do, to each their own. Puma, Champion, Sandknit, M&N, old Nike, reebok, Rev30, and adidas pre-rev30 all had full armholes that allowed players to move their arms just fine, and fold just fine.

Last edited:
That's fine, i mean this site is called niketalk not adidas talk. It does seem like more people prefer adidas, at least that's what the resale prices for nike vs adidas jerseys tell me lol. And I think majority would agree that mesh numbers look way better than flat twill numbers on the current Nikes.

The Miami Vice city jerseys are an example where all the colors on the team name and numbers are printed on the same layer. Give adidas or reebok or old Nike that same design? They're stitching each of those colors on separate layers and creating a much more beautiful product, instead of cutting costs and taking the easy/cheap way out under the pretense of making things "lighter" and reducing environmental impact.

Functional? best of all time??? No lol, adidas jerseys didn't rip like toilet paper. I also remember reading another member here complain that the quality of the current shorts were trash, way too light and felt like tissue paper. (I disagree since to be clear I don't think current Nikes are trash, I'm just saying that adidas was better).

And regarding the armhole, no offense but if you took a look at it without reading any of Nike's press releases where they explain that it's for increased movement, would you really like it that much? I don't think so but if you do, to each their own. Champion, sandknit, M&N, old Nike, reebok, adidas pre-rev, all had jerseys that allowed players to move their arms just fine, and fold just fine.
cherry picking talking points and then presenting false info based on your personal conjecture.

comparing resell prices between the brands is absurd when one style is discontinued and was never widely available to begin with. also nike's msrp started at 100 lower than adidas yet CURRENT city editions are fetching resale prices that easily rival discontinued rev30's.

the weight argument is so old and also laughable when youre clearly not a professional athlete. the materials are always trending towards lighter and breathable. guess what. rev30 is lighter than ripon mesh too. and mesh was more breathable than the satin they wore in the 60's . get used to it.

no adidas would not have made the vice jerseys better because for one the city jerseys are a NIKE INITIATIVE. and secondly name a single adidas jersey that had a tri color number with drop shadow. you think they're embroidering the drop shadow? and screening layers on nike twill numbers is bad but screen numbers in entirety on 80's mesh jerseys and m&n auths are cool right?

using lighter materials is cutting costs? u know whats cheaper than spending millions in r&d in a proprietary recycled fabric and design? using a preexisting fabric and template.

also newsflash: any fabric can tear. now name me a single instance when a nike jersey inadvertantly tore after they switched to vaporknit. oh by the way rev30 jerseys snag and nikes dont.

and regarding the armhole. no i didnt read a press release. i've studied human anatomy as an artist and taken years of lifedrawing. i knew exactly what the shape of the armhole was for from the minute i saw them. granted i know that a lot of people dont have the same experience hence the reason i understand why the incomplete trim is offputting to some people. but then again the average person probably also doesnt care

It's funny. I personally recall people bashing Adidas like crazy when Rev30 came out. That mesh snags so easily. I also hated the embroidery at first because it mimicked too much of what some counterfeits used. In time, I appreciate what Adidas tried to do. The only thing I really like better with Rev30 is the knit armholes, which were just traditional.
I don't blame Nike for the NBA logo placement or ads. Those decisions are on the League.

So I’m now on the 5th Miami mashup jersey trying to exchange for one not destroyed and they’re all burnt on the collar/sleeves.

At this point, you're going to have to charge it to the game or just return it altogether. If you haven't, I'd write to them explicitly noting that there are burns from the iron so that they are aware.

cherry picking talking points and then presenting false info based on your personal conjecture.

comparing resell prices between the brands is absurd when one style is discontinued and was never widely available to begin with. also nike's msrp started at 100 lower than adidas yet CURRENT city editions are fetching resale prices that easily rival discontinued rev30's.

the weight argument is so old and also laughable when youre clearly not a professional athlete. the materials are always trending towards lighter and breathable. guess what. rev30 is lighter than ripon mesh too. and mesh was more breathable than the satin they wore in the 60's . get used to it.

no adidas would not have made the vice jerseys better because for one the city jerseys are a NIKE INITIATIVE. and secondly name a single adidas jersey that had a tri color number with drop shadow. you think they're embroidering the drop shadow? and screening layers on nike twill numbers is bad but screen numbers in entirety on 80's mesh jerseys and m&n auths are cool right?

using lighter materials is cutting costs? u know whats cheaper than spending millions in r&d in a proprietary recycled fabric and design? using a preexisting fabric and template.

also newsflash: any fabric can tear. now name me a single instance when a nike jersey inadvertantly tore after they switched to vaporknit. oh by the way rev30 jerseys snag and nikes dont.

and regarding the armhole. no i didnt read a press release. i've studied human anatomy as an artist and taken years of lifedrawing. i knew exactly what the shape of the armhole was for from the minute i saw them. granted i know that a lot of people dont have the same experience hence the reason i understand why the incomplete trim is offputting to some people. but then again the average person probably also doesnt care

man what are you talking about lol. Using the pros that A has over B to explain why I think A was better isn't "cherrypicking". You claimed i was making subjective statements when you've done nothing but the same and created nothing but strawmans. E.g: I didn't say Nike's current twill numbers were bad, just that adidas looked better. I'm pretty sure majority of M&N jerseys have embroidered numbers as well. And if you have to go all the way back to the 80s to find an example, well you're proving my point for me that Nike has been downgrading themselves.

Current city editions are being discontinued too and weren't widely available to begin with. And that's pretty much the point. Only Nike City editions can compete with regular adidas home/aways. Compare a Curry white home mesh rev30 from 2014-2017 vs a 2018/19 white home Curry Nike vaporknit that even has a Rakuten badge. That should be a fair comparison since both of those were only available at the Oracle team store right? Guess which one has more value and is more popular among collectors. Yeah, that's subjective and yeah, you don't have to like adidas. But don't act like it's "false info" or "cherrypicking".

I already acknowledged that adidas wouldn't make City editions. But I'm not sure why you're acting like a tri-color number would be impossible. The Lakers gold uniform had a white number, then a purple trim, then a gold outer trim. The Warriors we believe uniform had blue, then orange, then yellow. A drop shadow is just extending the outer trim. You could easily do kiss-cut to reduce weight.

Proprietary?? Well why couldn't they r&d better materials? There's 3 options here:
A. re-use rev30 mesh or twill numbers, let's say cost would be 0.
B. create "proprietary" numbers that are pretty much the same as twill numbers and worse than rev30 mesh. cost = x
C. create numbers that are even better or of the same quality as mesh numbers, cost > x.

I didn't say nike should do A. I'm saying they should do C. They did B so yeah, they still are cutting costs. It's pretty apparent when 2018 and 2019 jerseys had 2 tags and NikeConnect chip, and current jerseys only have that "move to zero" tag. Or take the player name/number t-shirts which used to actually have that nice dri-fit material, whereas now they've reverted back to that older cheaper cotton material. I don't think it's a debate that Nike is trying to cut costs.

I think the armhole looks cool, but I'd still rather have a full armhole. And I think even if people knew what it was for, they still would rather have a full armhole. And I never said being light was bad (someone else here did), but you shouldn't sacrifice durability just for the sake of being light.

VanVleet just ripped his jersey the other day, granted it was intentional but it's happened alot more frequently even in the Vaporknit era than the rev30 era. Luka has ripped his several times straight down the middle. Rev30s did rip but not as frequently and easily as Nikes. Even just holding the 2 different jerseys in hand, you can tell which jersey is easier to rip. newsflash, any fabric can snag too and a jersey that can rip easier is much worse than a jersey that can snag easier.

I don't know if you worked for Nike before or something but clearly it sounds like you have some agenda. I'll say this again, I think Nike currently is an 8 out of 10, while adidas was a 9.5 (I'll take off 0.5 point for the snagging issue). Purple and gold vs purple and yellow? Blue and gold vs blue and yellow? Embroidered logos vs rubber logos? I mean yeah that's subjective but there's a clear side that most people prefer. I don't know why you're coming at me like I'm calling nike a 3 out of 10 lol.

For example, do you really think this (https://auctions.nba.com/stephen-cu...v1/aucd/2810191?sid=1101461&auctionId=2810191) looks better than this? (https://auctions.nba.com/stephen-cu...v1/aucd/1044677?sid=1101461&auctionId=1044677)

If you do then let’s just agree to disagree lol

Last edited:
man what are you talking about lol. Using the pros that A has over B to explain why I think A was better isn't "cherrypicking". You claimed i was making subjective statements when you've done nothing but the same and created nothing but strawmans. E.g: I didn't say Nike's current twill numbers were bad, just that adidas looked better. I'm pretty sure majority of M&N jerseys have embroidered numbers as well. And if you have to go all the way back to the 80s to find an example, well you're proving my point for me that Nike has been downgrading themselves.

Current city editions are being discontinued too and weren't widely available to begin with. And that's pretty much the point. Only Nike City editions can compete with regular adidas home/aways. Compare a Curry white home mesh rev30 from 2014-2017 vs a 2018/19 white home Curry Nike vaporknit that even has a Rakuten badge. That should be a fair comparison since both of those were only available at the Oracle team store right? Guess which one has more value and is more popular among collectors. Yeah, that's subjective and yeah, you don't have to like adidas. But don't act like it's "false info" or "cherrypicking".

I already acknowledged that adidas wouldn't make City editions. But I'm not sure why you're acting like a tri-color number would be impossible. The Lakers gold uniform had a white number, then a purple trim, then a gold outer trim. The Warriors we believe uniform had blue, then orange, then yellow. A drop shadow is just extending the outer trim. You could easily do kiss-cut to reduce weight.

Proprietary?? Well why couldn't they r&d better materials? There's 3 options here:
A. re-use rev30 mesh or twill numbers, let's say cost would be 0.
B. create "proprietary" numbers that are pretty much the same as twill numbers and worse than rev30 mesh. cost = x
C. create numbers that are even better or of the same quality as mesh numbers, cost > x.

I didn't say nike should do A. I'm saying they should do C. They did B so yeah, they still are cutting costs. It's pretty apparent when 2018 and 2019 jerseys had 2 tags and NikeConnect chip, and current jerseys only have that "move to zero" tag. Or take the player name/number t-shirts which used to actually have that nice dri-fit material, whereas now they've reverted back to that older cheaper cotton material. I don't think it's a debate that Nike is trying to cut costs.

I think the armhole looks cool, but I'd still rather have a full armhole. And I think even if people knew what it was for, they still would rather have a full armhole. And I never said being light was bad (someone else here did), but you shouldn't sacrifice durability just for the sake of being light.

VanVleet just ripped his jersey the other day, granted it was intentional but it's happened alot more frequently even in the Vaporknit era than the rev30 era. Luka has ripped his several times straight down the middle. Rev30s did rip but not as frequently and easily as Nikes. Even just holding the 2 different jerseys in hand, you can tell which jersey is easier to rip. newsflash, any fabric can snag too and a jersey that can rip easier is much worse than a jersey that can snag easier.

I don't know if you worked for Nike before or something but clearly it sounds like you have some agenda. I'll say this again, I think Nike currently is an 8 out of 10, while adidas was a 9.5 (I'll take off 0.5 point for the snagging issue). Purple and gold vs purple and yellow? Blue and gold vs blue and yellow? Embroidered logos vs rubber logos? I mean yeah that's subjective but there's a clear side that most people prefer. I don't know why you're coming at me like I'm calling nike a 3 out of 10 lol.

For example, do you really think this (https://auctions.nba.com/stephen-cu...v1/aucd/2810191?sid=1101461&auctionId=2810191) looks better than this? (https://auctions.nba.com/stephen-cu...v1/aucd/1044677?sid=1101461&auctionId=1044677)

If you do then let’s just agree to disagree lol
Bro i appreciate the effort but im not reading that novel u just wrote.

I skimmed thru your points and it all basically ends with you admitting that its your subjective opinion WHICH WAS WHAT I SAID TO BEGIN WITH

And ya false info, all that stuff youre spouting about popularity w collectors, material costs etc is all coming outta the u know where. Show me empirical data. We literally have people in here saying they prefer nike jerseys and youre trying to gaslight the community or something.

U dont like something dont buy it its that simple.

Bro i appreciate the effort but im not reading that novel u just wrote.

I skimmed thru your points and it all basically ends with you admitting that its your subjective opinion WHICH WAS WHAT I SAID TO BEGIN WITH

And ya false info, all that stuff youre spouting about popularity w collectors, material costs etc is all coming outta the u know where. Show me empirical data. We literally have people in here saying they prefer nike jerseys and youre trying to gaslight the community or something.

U dont like something dont buy it its that simple.
it was about the same length as your post lol. I addressed your points one by one and spoonfed you evidence, you just chose not to read it, so don't ask me again for more evidence. I promise you i'm not gaslighting anyone on a forum named Niketalk. You still don't get my point. I like Nikes, I just think adidas was better.

We also have a ton of people in here saying adidas quality was better. Embroidered is higher quality and higher cost than rubber, you really need "empirical data" for that or is common sense enough? Who is gaslighting who?

Take a look at these pics. Which one looks better to you? You're allowed to say Nike and I'm not gonna clown you for it. But I just want to know your answer

Attachments

• lonzo nike.jpg
    lonzo nike.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 17
  • kobe rev.jpg
    kobe rev.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 19
  • currynike.jpg
    currynike.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 21
  • curryrev.jpg
    curryrev.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
  • back nike curry.jpg
    back nike curry.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 53
  • back rev.jpg
    back rev.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
it was about the same length as your post lol. I addressed your points one by one and spoonfed you evidence, you just chose not to read it, so don't ask me again for more evidence. I promise you i'm not gaslighting anyone on a forum named Niketalk. You still don't get my point. I like Nikes, I just think adidas was better.

We also have a ton of people in here saying adidas quality was better. Embroidered is higher quality and higher cost than rubber, you really need "empirical data" for that or is common sense enough? Who is gaslighting who?

Take a look at these pics. Which one looks better to you?
The nike joints look better

imo nike is better, adidas retail jerseys always had small issues with how the jerseys look compared to gamers. i also dont like how the team wordmarks were glued on as opposed to being stitched.. people say its twill but i dont see stitched on the inside so correct me if im wrong lol.

current nike jerseys you buy are virtually identical to on court jerseys, at least the nike created ones. after the 2019 season nike began stitching all their nike logos instead of the rubberized stuff, so that little detail was nice. jock tags are clean without nike connect too

idk man every number of months this argument gets brought up. nike has also been killing it outside of jerseys, their training gear looks clean and various other nba merch is just very on point. the first two years of therma flex hoodies was some of the dopest stuff you could get

Take a look at these pics. Which one looks better to you? You're allowed to say Nike and I'm not gonna clown you for it. But I just want to know your answer

The Adidas colors were dull, and I wasn’t a fan of the big perforated holes either. Plus the sizing was a bit off.

Those adidas authentics were so damn long it looked like I was wearing a dress down to my shins
There it is. Adidas was straight fire. But legit down to my knees. Nike fit is so much better. Adidas athletic cut was tighter, too. I could do a large but it was snug. To rock the best feel, I’m at a 2xl. Again, they length was like plus 2 or plus 4 feet. Not inches

I do like the intricate little Ms in the rev30. But vaporknit do have similar holes in theirs. The mesh numbers were fire. The patches blew away Nikes…especially the rubber patches on the shorts vs the patches adidas used.

And the swing man. Adidas had the material so close to the authentics. Much preferred their swing man over Nikes.

Nike did finally bring pockets to swing man shorts. Fire. And og thermaflex hoodies. Wow.

Oh. And let’s not forgive adidas for the twill vs mesh numbers. Unacceptable. Authentics should be authentic. Give me what the players wear.

imo nike is better, adidas retail jerseys always had small issues with how the jerseys look compared to gamers. i also dont like how the team wordmarks were glued on as opposed to being stitched.. people say its twill but i dont see stitched on the inside so correct me if im wrong lol.

current nike jerseys you buy are virtually identical to on court jerseys, at least the nike created ones. after the 2019 season nike began stitching all their nike logos instead of the rubberized stuff, so that little detail was nice. jock tags are clean without nike connect too

idk man every number of months this argument gets brought up. nike has also been killing it outside of jerseys, their training gear looks clean and various other nba merch is just very on point. the first two years of therma flex hoodies was some of the dopest stuff you could get
Yeah nike warmup and training gear looks 10x better and sleeker, I’ll give you that. I'm not seeing the points in your 2nd paragraph tho. Nike authentic shorts still use rubberized team logos on the waist and side panels of shorts, and some jerseys like the bridge on the Warriors City edition and home/away jerseys.

I'm not seeing how you can look at pic 1 (attached below, make sure to zoom in) and say that that Warriors logo doesn't look 10x better and higher quality than its Nike counterpart in pic 2, for example. There's just a "premium" feel that the Nike one lacks IMO, and the Nike one looks more like a swingman-tier jersey. Look at how each individual letter is embroidered as well as the outer golden trim of the circle, and how the bridge isn’t rubber. The different layers of mesh and embroidery create a 3d effect whereas the Nike just looks like a flat circle. (Also as an owner of both, the Nike Warriors logo easily creases if you fold it the wrong way and is super-hard to uncrease, whereas adidas mesh presents no such issues)

And Nike jerseys themselves have plenty of discrepancies too. Suns Valley jerseys from Just Sports don't have the number in the correct place. Lakers jerseys didn't have the 17 trophy after they won their 17th title. Warriors jerseys in 2019/20 didn't have the correct perforated numbers (similar to the mesh vs twill adidas issue).
The Adidas colors were dull, and I wasn’t a fan of the big perforated holes either. Plus the sizing was a bit off.

That's interesting. For example I've always heard Lakers fans complain their current shade of yellow was too bright and their previous shade was normal. You're one of the first people I've seen who considers the previous shade dull and the current shade normal.

Attachments

• A8D373AA-111B-499F-B71D-9E260745C84C.jpeg
    A8D373AA-111B-499F-B71D-9E260745C84C.jpeg
    1,021.8 KB · Views: 92
  • F7405DDC-156B-416D-9FB7-762CCE067C52.jpeg
    F7405DDC-156B-416D-9FB7-762CCE067C52.jpeg
    869 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Yeah nike warmup and training gear looks 10x better and sleeker, I’ll give you that. I'm not seeing the points in your 2nd paragraph tho. Nike authentic shorts still use rubberized team logos on the waist and side panels of shorts, and some jerseys like the bridge on the Warriors City edition and home/away jerseys.

I'm not seeing how you can look at pic 1 (attached below, make sure to zoom in) and say that that Warriors logo doesn't look 10x better and higher quality than its Nike counterpart in pic 2, for example. There's just a "premium" feel that the Nike one lacks IMO, and the Nike one looks more like a swingman-tier jersey. Look at how each individual letter is embroidered as well as the outer golden trim of the circle, and how the bridge isn’t rubber. The different layers of mesh and embroidery create a 3d effect whereas the Nike just looks like a flat circle. (Also as an owner of both, the Nike Warriors logo easily creases if you fold it the wrong way and is super-hard to uncrease, whereas adidas mesh presents no such issues)

And Nike jerseys themselves have plenty of discrepancies too. Suns Valley jerseys from Just Sports don't have the number in the correct place. Lakers jerseys didn't have the 17 trophy after they won their 17th title. Warriors jerseys in 2019/20 didn't have the correct perforated numbers (similar to the mesh vs twill adidas issue).

That's interesting. For example I've always heard Lakers fans complain their current shade of yellow was too bright and their previous shade was normal. You're one of the first people I've seen who considers the previous shade dull and the current shade normal.
Those pics…going back and forth. Adidas hands down. Second pic aliexpress?

Those pics…going back and forth. Adidas hands down. Second pic aliexpress?
Hmm. I was told it came from the maker of the “best functional jersey of all time” without any empirical evidence, but i’m not sure. Maybe dhgate? 🤔

That's fine, i mean this site is called niketalk not adidas talk. I don't think adidas using higher quality materials is subjective though. And I think majority would agree that mesh numbers look way better than flat twill numbers on the current Nikes.

Functional? best of all time??? No lol, that's also YOUR subjective opinion. adidas jerseys didn't rip like toilet paper. I also remember reading another member here complain that the quality of the current shorts were trash, way too light and felt like tissue paper. (I disagree since to be clear I don't think current Nikes are trash, I'm just saying that adidas was better).

And regarding the armhole, no offense but if you took a look at it without reading any of Nike's press releases where they explain that it's for increased movement, would you really like it that much? I don't think so but if you do, to each their own. Puma, Champion, Sandknit, M&N, old Nike, reebok, Rev30, and adidas pre-rev30 all had full armholes that allowed players to move their arms just fine, and fold just fine.
Nike twill numbers>>>>>>>> mesh rev 30 numbers.

For example I've always heard Lakers fans complain their current shade of yellow was too bright and their previous shade was normal.
For me it’s the different shades of yellow for merch in general. But I will agree that 2021 jerseys are a lot brighter than say 2018-2019.

Back
Top Bottom