Nike Running shoe recommendation for walking/running with dog

All,

Don't know if this is the right place for my question. But here it goes.  Just got a new dog and have been walking him a lot lately.  Our walks are getting longer, hopefully looking to use this new experience to springboard into runs. Looking for your recommendations for a overall good shoe to walk him around in and ultimately run with him.  I am looking at the Free run.  Thoughts appreciated, direction to other threads also appreciated.

If you're serious about running, go to a proper running store (NOT Foot Locker or Finish Line) and get evaluated. No one can give you shoe advice without knowing about YOUR feet. Also - just because a shoe works for one person, does not mean it will work for YOU - everyone has different needs.

All,

Don't know if this is the right place for my question. But here it goes.  Just got a new dog and have been walking him a lot lately.  Our walks are getting longer, hopefully looking to use this new experience to springboard into runs. Looking for your recommendations for a overall good shoe to walk him around in and ultimately run with him.  I am looking at the Free run.  Thoughts appreciated, direction to other threads also appreciated.
The suggestion to go to a respectable running store to try it out is great option, but usually you'll have to pay full price on those. 

If you have a Nike outlet that you can visit, go and try them on there. Grab a few that you found most comfortable in store and actually use them for the case that you plan on using it. You have 30 days to try them and just return the ones that you you didn't find comfortable. It's Nike's policy so you'e not cheating the stores out doing this. 

When you try them on, try have a thumbnail width of space in front of your toes and grab a couple of sizes of the same shoe to determine the best fit. For example, I normally wear a 9.5 on running shoes but I try on the a 9 and a 10 as well just to see what's the best fit for myself.

Here's a few suggestions to start out:

Lunarepic 1 / Low / Shield / 2 - Has a soft feel without feeling very mushy. Very comfy flyknit upper. The 1 / Low / and 2 have uppers that get wet easily and have an outsole that sucks up little pebbles. Personally, I don't notice pebbles when I run but I just wanted to point it out. The shield variation has a water resistant upper and has a different outsole pattern that looks like it less likely to absorb pebbles but I don't have personal experience with that.

Lunarglide 8 - Similar midsole and outsole to the Lunarepic so it still has that tendency to pick up pebbles. Typically cheaper than the Lunarepic. Has a non-flyknit upper so it will fare better with wet conditions.

Vomero 11 / 12 - More cushioned and is slightly softer than the Lunarepic. Non-flyknit upper. Has rubber on the outsole, so the tread won't break down as fast as the Lunarepic or Lunarglide. Different widths are available. Has a lot of padding and lining inside so it feel more premium while worn compared to my other suggestions.

Lunarecer 4 - This is a racing flat so it's not meant to be durable like the training shoes mentioned above, but it feels amazing to run in for me. There a small amount rubber on the outsole to slow down the wear and tear. The upper is thin and form-fitting. Not as soft as the other models but still very cushioned especially for a racing flat. Extremely light. Feels like you're wearing nothing while still getting that protection under your feet. This is a narrow shoe.

Do not get frees for outdoor running lol

Every single shoe mentioned right above me are excellent

I only run in frees andhave been doing so since they were introduced. You can't just go out a run a bunch of miles with them at first. have done half marathons in them. Your feet do have to get used to them. Frees used to come with instructions on how to use them and had exercises for you to do in them before really going out and running.

What everyone said is right go to a real running store FL and FNL are trying to get you to spend the most money. And like he said above no one can recommend a shoe for you, everyone has different feet and preferences. It took me a lot of trial and era to learn the right shoes for me. If I HAD to make a suggestion to you, based on what you've said I would definitely look into the Lunar line. I run in lunarstelos right now and I love em, plus I got them for fairly cheap ($55) on NDC.

Back
Top Bottom