Niketalk, what's your age limit of being too old to live at home with moms?

Depends on where you live. If you live in the Bay Area, rent is extremely high so you might need several roommates just to make the monthly payment. In all honesty, it all depends on your situation because a lot of factors are in play.

Depends on where you live. If you live in the Bay Area, rent is extremely high so you might need several roommates just to make the monthly payment. In all honesty, it all depends on your situation because a lot of factors are in play.

If you attend college then after your degree.

There is absolutely no reason at all why you should be living with your parents after that.

If you don't go to college than probably 21. 

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by demik

Man, no limit. If you can remain being single or not serious in a relationship and still living at your moms, *!@% it you're lucky. Take advantage of it and save up like no tomorrow. As long as you don't have kids, or any other type of responsibilities, and your moms is cool with it, stay there as long as you want, but make sure you pay rent and help out. Trade-trade situation. You'll end up having a bunch of good @#++ in the end. Great car, good clothes, etc.

Move out once you have a decent job/career or when you think you're ready for commitment. You'll be leaving your moms a real wealthy dude/chick, and you'll realize, that you didn't *!@% up like the rest of the ignorant 18 year olds that stepped out into the real world, with no support and experience of how crazy it really is out there.

This.

Straight up. A bunch of people move out so early as if they have something to prove only to be mad broke and #+$% up their credit. If I'm not in a serious relationship where I would actually want to live with that person and vice versa or have a kid, I see no rush whatsoever.

I'm 25 and JUST started my career in what I went to school for after a string of @$%**%$% warehouse jobs and other crapola...and I have a degree. I'm about to pay off loans, pay off my car, and save up money. I have no kids. I'm not trying to move in with no girl. I'll be thanking myself later.

Im old with bad credit and about to move back in with my mama

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by demik

Man, no limit. If you can remain being single or not serious in a relationship and still living at your moms, *!@% it you're lucky. Take advantage of it and save up like no tomorrow. As long as you don't have kids, or any other type of responsibilities, and your moms is cool with it, stay there as long as you want, but make sure you pay rent and help out. Trade-trade situation. You'll end up having a bunch of good @#++ in the end. Great car, good clothes, etc.

Move out once you have a decent job/career or when you think you're ready for commitment. You'll be leaving your moms a real wealthy dude/chick, and you'll realize, that you didn't *!@% up like the rest of the ignorant 18 year olds that stepped out into the real world, with no support and experience of how crazy it really is out there.

This.

Straight up. A bunch of people move out so early as if they have something to prove only to be mad broke and #+$% up their credit. If I'm not in a serious relationship where I would actually want to live with that person and vice versa or have a kid, I see no rush whatsoever.

I'm 25 and JUST started my career in what I went to school for after a string of @$%**%$% warehouse jobs and other crapola...and I have a degree. I'm about to pay off loans, pay off my car, and save up money. I have no kids. I'm not trying to move in with no girl. I'll be thanking myself later.

Im old with bad credit and about to move back in with my mama

roll.gif
roll.gif

There is absolutely no reason at all why you should be living with your parents after that.

If you don't have a wife or kids and your parents are cool with it, stay as long as you can. You'll be thankful in the end. It may be a little embarrassing to say you're living with your folks when you're 25, but if you aren't established you will just fail and end up there eventually anyway. I've always been a fan of using every resource available to you, and if your folks are willing to let you stay at home while you work your way through school or start your career, then be thankful for good parents and take advantage of it.

I've known a few people who stayed at home for a couple years after they started their jobs out of college and saved up a huge stack to put down on a house. It only made them better off once they left for good.

If you don't have a wife or kids and your parents are cool with it, stay as long as you can. You'll be thankful in the end. It may be a little embarrassing to say you're living with your folks when you're 25, but if you aren't established you will just fail and end up there eventually anyway. I've always been a fan of using every resource available to you, and if your folks are willing to let you stay at home while you work your way through school or start your career, then be thankful for good parents and take advantage of it.

I've known a few people who stayed at home for a couple years after they started their jobs out of college and saved up a huge stack to put down on a house. It only made them better off once they left for good.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

18, and there aren't many reasons why you should still live with your parents after that.
18??? That's too early. I just turned 18 and I'm still here.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

18, and there aren't many reasons why you should still live with your parents after that.
18??? That's too early. I just turned 18 and I'm still here.

Graduated this summer and living at home for the time being, it's definitely tough and you really want to be able to live on your own and be independent, but from a financial point of view it makes the most sense. The wisest thing to do is to start working, save up money, and then when you're in your mid-20s, you have more money, and when you know your future more, you can make the move and be comfortable financially and everything.

Just from a pure independence perspective for me, it sucks because my mom is more of the controlling type and still treats me like I'm in high school at times...because in honesty, that's what it feels like.

So to answer the question, I would say sometime between 25-30 would be ideal and is about the limit. Anything after that would be horrific. There comes a time where you have to force yourself to be independent and put yourself in those situations. But when you're still young and don't have the money quite yet, it's a good option.

Graduated this summer and living at home for the time being, it's definitely tough and you really want to be able to live on your own and be independent, but from a financial point of view it makes the most sense. The wisest thing to do is to start working, save up money, and then when you're in your mid-20s, you have more money, and when you know your future more, you can make the move and be comfortable financially and everything.

Just from a pure independence perspective for me, it sucks because my mom is more of the controlling type and still treats me like I'm in high school at times...because in honesty, that's what it feels like.

So to answer the question, I would say sometime between 25-30 would be ideal and is about the limit. Anything after that would be horrific. There comes a time where you have to force yourself to be independent and put yourself in those situations. But when you're still young and don't have the money quite yet, it's a good option.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

A degree doesn't guarantee you anything.

Neither does mooching off your parents in a comfortable isolated bubble.

A degree will get you a full-time job somewhere, even if you have to work at a Best Buy.

But to think of it these are just my views, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to live their life. Its their life.

A degree will get you a full-time job somewhere, even if you have to work at a Best Buy.

But to think of it these are just my views, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to live their life. Its their life.

I'd say anywhere from 25-30.

For me, I about to turn 25 and I still live with my parents. Why? Because I've saved money for law school next fall. In fact, if I end up going to law school near home, I'm still living with my parents. It'll save me at least $10k

I'd say anywhere from 25-30.

For me, I about to turn 25 and I still live with my parents. Why? Because I've saved money for law school next fall. In fact, if I end up going to law school near home, I'm still living with my parents. It'll save me at least $10k

Left the house, city, state when i was 18, 10 yrs ago. Work and money were good, so not living at home was not a problem.
Now, with the economy the #$+#@, work and money are hard to come by. Personally, if i didnt have a family of my own, id move back home in a heartbeat.

Let this be a lesson kids...live at home for as long as you can, but atleast help out some. If you have a job, save, save, SAVE your money. I dont know how many thousands of dollars i wasted at bars, clubs and other meaningless !###%@*%. I wish i had some of that money now.

Left the house, city, state when i was 18, 10 yrs ago. Work and money were good, so not living at home was not a problem.
Now, with the economy the #$+#@, work and money are hard to come by. Personally, if i didnt have a family of my own, id move back home in a heartbeat.

Let this be a lesson kids...live at home for as long as you can, but atleast help out some. If you have a job, save, save, SAVE your money. I dont know how many thousands of dollars i wasted at bars, clubs and other meaningless !###%@*%. I wish i had some of that money now.

The unemployed and the underemployed account for 17% of Americans. 20% of the unemployed have college degrees.

As I said...a degree doesn't guarantee you %%%%...not even a job at Best Buy.

The unemployed and the underemployed account for 17% of Americans. 20% of the unemployed have college degrees.

As I said...a degree doesn't guarantee you %%%%...not even a job at Best Buy.

Trust me...I'm not condoning in sitting around the house eating up the refrigerator, not working, and playing video games.

But...if the opportunity to save $ presents itself, why not? What is there to prove? That doesn't mean you lack responsibility. Adulthood will not pat you on the back for spending unnecessary $. And if it did, who cares?

You moved out and wasted at least a stack a month on some apartment + utilities + bills when you could have paid off loans, improved your credit, saved for a house...and so on.

Back
Top Bottom