Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nintendo new IP: Codenamed Steam

Last edited:
3DS Game Developer Discussion
Nintendo new IP: Codename Steam

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: this and Splatoon are shooters. Is this a concious shift in Nintendo's strategy / portfolio
6:54
Neal Ronaghan:
(one of the demo levels was in Boston, I believe)
6:55
Michael "TYP" Cole:
A: "Not really". They prototyped an idea, and it felt good. NOA notes that the shooter style of game is very approachable with constant player feedback
6:56

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: Japan has a history of making Japanese historical figures larger than life. Why pull from western history?
6:57
Michael "TYP" Cole:
A: there were several settings pitched. One was "steam punk civil war". Eveyone had lots of ideas to riff on within the team. Felt it was a rich context choice.
6:58

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: Q on the rock music. Can you talk about the composer/style?
7:00
Michael "TYP" Cole:
A: advance wars composer hirano is working on this. Similar to days of ruin in style. Music has both 19th century string-type instruments and rock music for the steam punk. Music is dynamic, to reflect enemy awareness of danger, etc.
7:00

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: how is death treated? Is there permadearh?
7:01
Michael "TYP" Cole:
A: There is not permadeath. It is not a game that relies on individuals--it relies on teams of chars. Would not work if you could lose characters. You can revive them on the map by using medals
7:02

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: will there be online play?
A: yes there will be multiplayer and there will be online supported, but details ate pending
7:03

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: how large is the cast.
A: not talking now. Stay tuned.
7:04

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: will there be amiibo integration, since this is a 2015 game?
A: not a bad idea. We'll think about it.
7:04

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: similarities to valk. Chronicles. Was the team influenced by that game?
7:06
Michael "TYP" Cole:
A: yes, the lead developer likes that game. But it wasn't an inspiration. That game is a trafitional strategy game, and players rely on the overhead map/view. Not really a shooter. Nintendo & IS wanted the shooter like gameplay to be integral and not a facade.
7:08

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: Is code name steam why we haven't gotten a new advance wars?
A: nonononono. We are always thinking about the next iteration of AW and FE. Teasing they will reveal info on those later when they are ready
7:09

Michael "TYP" Cole:
Q: Has this impacted development on the FExSMT game. A: nonononono. They are on schedule.
7:09

Last edited:
Son,  new advance Wars??!!? YEEEESSSSSS

Cant wait to play Smash bros Saturday, hopefully its not packed.

Is the smash demo available at every best buy?
I'm off tomorrow and wouldn't mind checking it out.

Last edited:
I have a lot of catching up to do with the Zelda franchise. The only one that I have beat is A Link to the Past and I made it to the Dark World in A Link Between Worlds. I have Wind Waker HD, I just haven't played it yet. I'll cop OoT on 3DS, hopefully they will put Majora's Mask on 3DS as well.

Going after work with a coworker to Nintendo world to see if we can get some demo time with Smash, I'm expecting a lot of people just hope it's not at crazy as that Best Buy one.

Back
Top Bottom