No Artist Has Went Platinum This Year

If "Nothing Was The Same" didn't go platinum, than NOTHING will go platinum from here on out. Drake is arguably the most well known-hottest in Hip-Hop today.

I agree with the quality of music argument. That is the main factor in non platinum sales. This all goes back to gate keepers and labels. Signing artists off of one hot song.

Timeout yall thought Jeezy's album sucked? That's primetime snow right there.

I haven't bought a single album this year though, not one.

You guys know NWTS went Plat right? the article is talking about the year 2014 
laugh.gif

If "Nothing Was The Same" didn't go platinum, than NOTHING will go platinum from here on out. Drake is arguably the most well known-hottest in Hip-Hop today.

I agree with the quality of music argument. That is the main factor in non platinum sales. This all goes back to gate keepers and labels. Signing artists off of one hot song.

NWTS sold 1.5 mill though.

I can't even remember the last album I bought :smh:

I'm terrible and know my pirating ways is what led to this type of music releasing :smh:

Still ain't buying ****

I'm a big advocate of purchasing CD's, IDC!! I love music and I love to collect CD's.. People always ask, "Yo, you still buy CD's?" LOL! I look at the situation as if I was the artist and took the time to make the album, so I wouldn't want them to do that to me. Sooner, or later, CD's are going to be obsolete, so I try to get as much CD's as possible and as well as old CD's.

Good. Last album I bought was Dom's GHS. Not supporting this system, still got beef with them ***** for subjecting me to nonstop Diddy for years & the chopped and screwed hook era. Damn I hate mainstream music so much :x

NWTS sold 1.5 mill though.

Hold on. Did NWTS drop in Nov 2013? Or Feb 2014?

I'm a big advocate of purchasing CD's, IDC!! I love music and I love to collect CD's.. People always ask, "Yo, you still buy CD's?" LOL! I look at the situation as if I was the artist and took the time to make the album, so I wouldn't want them to do that to me. Sooner, or later, CD's are going to be obsolete, so I try to get as much CD's as possible and as well as old CD's.
I only buy cd's if I deem it worthy of my purchase. If I like the majority of the songs, I'll buy it, if I like 6 out of 12 tracks, I wont. That's what I like about this streaing ****. I'm no longer tricked by a good single.

I only buy cd's if I deem it worthy of my purchase. If I like the majority of the songs, I'll buy it, if I like 6 out of 12 tracks, I wont. That's what I like about this streaing ****. I'm no longer tricked by a good single.
I will admit, spotify does make me determine to buy albums, but me collecting CD's and loving music in general, I still buy it regardless.

I'm with you. I liked buying albums as a kid and still do. I don't mind spending $10 on an album. Thankfully now, you can download. I download almost everything first. If I like it, I buy it.

I have a handful of albums ready to buy on amazon, but has far as actual purchases this year, Common, Freddie Gibbs, and Mobb Deep. 3/3.

Last edited:
Buying albums are an outdated way of supporting an artist nowadays. With Spotify, YouTube, iTunes Radio - there's plenty of legal ways to listen to an album without leaks. Think of all the other ways you can support. Digitally buy singles, buy tickets to their tour, buy merchandise, watch their YouTube videos, follow them on FB/IG/Twitter.

Going out and buying a CD is 100x more inconvenient and less rewarding than anything else. Digitally buying an album is almost on the same level when you consider you can just hop on Spotify if you're going to listen to the album. So yeah. Artists are still eating good with or without platinum. Has nothing to do with quality of music. It's just the new era.

Last edited:
Buying albums are an outdated way of supporting an artist nowadays. With Spotify, YouTube, iTunes Radio - there's plenty of legal ways to listen to an album without leaks. Think of all the other ways you can support. Digitally buy singles, buy tickets to their tour, buy merchandise, watch their YouTube videos, follow them on FB/IG/Twitter.

Going out and buying a CD is 100x more inconvenient and less rewarding than anything else. Digitally buying an album is almost on the same level when you consider you can just hop on Spotify if you're going to listen to the album. So yeah. Artists are still eating good with or without platinum. Has nothing to do with quality of music. It's just the new era.
Artists don't get a lot of money from streaming and all that. Buying albums will never be outdated, just like buying books.

I'm the same way. Luckily for me, I hardly buy cds. I mainly buy cds from artists that I like. Years ago I got rid of many cds that I had no use for.

Now I'm very select on the cds that I buy. I like having the physical copy and artwork. Never will I get rid of my cds. How our parents were with

their vinyl, our generation will be like that with cds. Feels good every once in while when I open my original Doggystyle cd to read the adventure

of Snoop Doggy Dogg and Rat-A-Tat-Tat.
laugh.gif

I'm the same way. Luckily for me, I hardly buy cds. I mainly buy cds from artists that I like. Years ago I got rid of many cds that I had no use for.

Now I'm very select on the cds that I buy. I like having the physical copy and artwork. Never will I get rid of my cds. How our parents were with

their vinyl, our generation will be like that with cds. Feels good every once in while when I open my original Doggystyle cd to read the adventure

of Snoop Doggy Dogg and Rat-A-Tat-Tat.
laugh.gif
There's actually been an increase in vinyl sales. Due to hipsters of course.

All you older younger 80's baby's killed the music industry in the 2000's by downloading music and not buying CDs

Now the 90's baby's dont download anymore only stream

Making money off music is dead unless you got a following for live shows

I'm one of the few who still buys cd's/dvd

Last edited:
I personally have a collection of CD's so I buy albums that I like all the time. Haven't bought many this year though. I think I bought Sam Smith's album and Ariana's album. Generally speaking, if I'm a fan of the artist, I'll go out and buy their physical copy for my collection

Shameless Plug :lol: : Stream my artist's album on spotify! and if you like what you hear purchase it on iTunes! http://smarturl.it/LikeWeUsedTo

Most artists get their money from merchandise and touring.

They don't get much from album sales, singles on iTunes or streams. Unless you're on a very small label where you get most of the profit.

And most artists are on 360s...which means them labels got their hands in that show and merch money.

Back
Top Bottom