No Hate, But why are NBA Champs also called "World" Champs?

Why is it that when an NBA team wins the finals they are the World Champs? The NBA is the richest and most publicised league in the world and arguably the mosttalented but that surely doesn't qualify the tag "World" Champ. USA basketball has no been anywhere near a dominant force in recent years (Thisyear and the Dream Team being the exceptions!) So don't you think it is a lil wierd.

LAKERS%201987-88%20CHAMPS.JPG

I agree, U.S.A. =/= World, many countries have professional club teams that play competitive ball and have annual seasons much like we do here, until they havea tournament of the champions from each continent much like they do in soccer no one has the right to call themselves "World Champions".

when they started the world champs name calling, basketball wasnt as big through out the world.

This is a problem with EVERY professional sports league in North America.

Look at the NFL for instance, the Super Bowl winner calls themselves 'World Champs' when every single team in the league is located in one country and99% of the players are American. Lets not forget that football is only played in Canada and the U.S.

Basketball has the world championships and Olympics

Hockey has yearly world championships and Olympics

Baseball has the World Baseball Classic

The winners of those events are the 'World Champions'

I also found this odd...

But I guess "NBA > any other league"...so 'World Champions' might be appropriate..

They do this for MLB and NFL also don't they?

NBA= best league

NBA is composed of players from any nationality or citizenship

The best basketball is played in the U.S.

The U.S. won the gold medal in Beijing

The best NBA team is the best team from the world's best league and therefore serves as a "proxy" world champ in the absence of any worldwideclub-based tournament

Any player of any worth internationally comes to the US to play in the NBA

Thus it is a reasonable leap of logic to say world champs

Originally Posted by Skew it on the Bar B

The best NBA team is the best team from the world's best league and therefore serves as a "proxy" world champ in the absence of any worldwide club-based tournament
This logic is ******ed, in this case we would never want to hold a tournament in risk of losing the title of automatic "World Champ". Isay we need a tournament so discussions like these wouldn't be necessary and there can be a clear cut world champion, one that can say they have actuallybeaten the best clubs from around the world.

in the absence of any worldwide club-based tournament
olympics, world championships.

so if all the nba superstars/lil stars go over to the Euroleague to play and all the scrubs stayed in the NBA, whoever wins in the Euroleague championship,should they be called World Champs?

basically, if some other country besides the USA had the best league, should that leagues winner be world champions based on the "best league in theworld" theory? during that time period, should NBA title holders not have banners that say "world champs"?

This is not true for all teams i was watching something on espn and only some teams call it the world championship on there banners and such others have NBAchamps it was some guy ranting on the celtics for having world champs did anyone else see it??? For example

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

How is USA basketball being good the exception? USA basketball being good is the rule. The only exceptions to a 16-year untarnished legacy were those garbage teams put out in 04 and 06.

If you call 3 First places (Which is the same as The Soviet Union and Yugoslavia) since 1950 in the world champs an Untarnished record something might be wrong....

World Champions is a bogus name given to any team that wins there nations league title

NFL champs
NBA champs
Euro league champs
etc
etc

These are all championships yes not one of them is a world championship nor should it be referred to as one no matter if players in that league are from allaround the world

A world champion would come from a competition wich involves the whole world as nations like the soccer world cup,rugby world cup etc where every nation in theworld has a chance to qualify and compete for said title

No other country in the world crowns there league champions as world champs and that is something that american sports get knocked for because they are selftitleing themselves as world champs when in fact nothing is further from the truth.

Peace
Scottie

I know that the teams in the NBA are better than the Euro teams, but champions in the NBA =/= champions of the world. Even though everybody knows they arebetter than the European teams, the fact is that they havent played those teams.

If you dont play every team in the world, you arent the world champs. If you play every team in the league, then you are the league champs.

Thats the way I see it.

because the worLd revoLves around us baby!!...but yehh i dont get it either ask david stern...phobguy, is that your 88 Lakers fLag?!...can i have it?
laugh.gif

because the USA is the greatest country in the world, therefore our best sports teams are also the greatest in the world. its not that hard to figure out

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

This is a problem with EVERY professional sports league in North America.

Look at the NFL for instance, the Super Bowl winner calls themselves 'World Champs' when every single team in the league is located in one country and 99% of the players are American. Lets not forget that football is only played in Canada and the U.S.

Basketball has the world championships and Olympics

Hockey has yearly world championships and Olympics

Baseball has the World Baseball Classic

The winners of those events are the 'World Champions'

hahaha okay. so i'm confused about what you are trying to point out.
so in the NFL they are, then, the world champs of football are they not?

Originally Posted by phobguy

How is USA basketball being good the exception? USA basketball being good is the rule. The only exceptions to a 16-year untarnished legacy were those garbage teams put out in 04 and 06.

If you call 3 First places (Which is the same as The Soviet Union and Yugoslavia) since 1950 in the world champs an Untarnished record something might be wrong....
You realize that NBA players were not allowed to participate in the Olympics until 1992? Up until that point, only amateur/college players could compete, and they played against professional international players.

So please tell me, what is the most winningest nation in international competition since 1992?

I guess if you wanted total domination of less than a quarter of the history of Olympic years, your point is valid. Other than that to say that the USA teamthat has only won ONE world Championship since the inception of NBA players in 1992 being the most winningest is wrong. That would in fact be Yugoslavia.......Since then however the USA has beaten all other countries in most appearances for third place. Winningest in that respect yes.

sure American basketball hasnt been as dominant. But it is still #1 as demonstrated out in Beijing. But its not even like we're talking about U/SA vsforeign players. Cause the best foreign players play in the NBA also.

As far as im concerned the NBA= most dominant players foreign or domestic products. European leagues are improving but for the most part its still inferiortalent. I mean cmon Josh childress is like the best player out in Europe.
laugh.gif

thats why i say what ever teams wins the championship the same year as the olympics should play in it... then you can really call yourself world champs

Back
Top Bottom