Norcal's GRUB Thread

saigon is where its at

edit: can anybody confirm if theres a roxie's on 9th and kirkham??
TEAM WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Biedrins - Cabarkapa - Davis - Ellis - Foyle
Harrington - Jackson - Jasikevicius - O'Bryant - Pietrus - Powell - Richardson

In San Francisco
KiKi's for some good cheap japanese food, Naan and Curry for Indian food: try the tandori chicken or tikki masala, Pluto's salads and sandwiches are great, and Hard Knox on 3rd St. is the best soul food in the city hands down

Berkeley
Someone already mentioned Zachary's Pizza, that place has GREAT deep dish pizza ( a little pricey though)
Barney Burger in Berkeley on Solano, Cedar and College is a 'high class' burger joint (again a little pricey, but really good)
Gordo's Burritos is good and cheap
I also like west coast pizza on University Ave. They always have coupons/specials
La Vals pizza in Berkeley is also pretty good. I usually go to the one on the North side of Cal.
Someone already mentioned top dog

El Cerrito
Chef's Chinese food in El Cerrito plaza is off the hook and you get hella food for cheap. It is good quality chinese food.

To the dude that started this thread, it would be great if you cut and pasted the recommendations of everyone on to the first page. I need to hit up some of those sandwich shops in SF. Good looking out everyone!
Hit me up if you need penny foams! Check out my listing on iss under tyclef (Jordans, forces, air max etc.)
tyclef1@hotmail.com

Quote:
Chef's Chinese food in El Cerrito plaza is off the hook and you get hella food for cheap. It is good quality chinese food.
:lol:
laugh.gif
good isnt the word to describe chefs more like terrible. Their chinese food is on par with panda express and thats not saying alot.

i ain't down w/that egg foo yung + sweet & sour + general tso's type of crap, but panda express is actually kinda aiite w/me sometimes. well, haven't gone there in a long minute, but used to eat it pretty often cuz one of my boy's lil sisters used to work at the one near my old pad in LA. just stick w/the normal @#%$ like broccoli beef, string bean chix, chow mein and you'll be straight. orange chix is ok every now and then when you wanna get your gwai lo on. lol (my sis' friend's pops sold that recipe to PE...they robbed his as blind on that one...got less than $1000 for it i think)
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

Quote:
I want to try the tea from Poleng though.

Please do. I'd love to know what other people think of the teas since that's what the whole restaurant is based on.

Quote:
Someone already mentioned Zachary's Pizza, that place has GREAT deep dish pizza ( a little pricey though)

ooo...love me some Zachary's.

If you're in the city go to Little Star Pizza for your deep dish pizza fix.

^ It isnt that bad. Just mind your own business, and its fine.

Roxies on 9th isnt the same Roxies as San Jose ave. Its more of mom n pop grocery with a deli.
"Sriracha is made from sun ripen chilies which are ground into a smooth paste along with garlic. It is excellent in soups, sauces, pastas, pizzas, hot dogs, hamburgers, chowmein or on anything else to give it a delicious, spicy taste."

lol....dude, it ain't the peeps down there. i've been rolling thru the TL since forever. coupla my boys used to stay down there and one of my real good buds used to manage a motel down there (not one of them super duper fleabag ones....it's actually like the Ritz Carlton of the TL...Red Coach Motel on Polk) but we used to chill down there+drink+play cards+etc etc. all the time

i just hate going down there nowadays cuz them mofos around Saigon can't park for chit and always bashing up people's rides, and, yeah, the area's still dirty+sleazy as ever.

but, oh well, saigon is still good stuff. a lot of good hole in the walls wouldn't be hole in the walls if they weren't in spots like the TL anyhow.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

smh @ the thought of parking in TL. you're basically asking for a crackhead to take a dump on the top of your windshield.

theres a thai restaurant on the corner of geary and leavenworth which is good. forgot the name tho. CL i know you know which one im talking about. TL actually have a good varies of different eats but the neighborhood.

:x
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
TEAM WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Biedrins - Cabarkapa - Davis - Ellis - Foyle
Harrington - Jackson - Jasikevicius - O'Bryant - Pietrus - Powell - Richardson

anyone know what is good to eat on/by Castro St. in Mountain View (other than Amarin and Taqueria Los Charros)?
Refs: WaGKaMaCuLLiT, drowzie, lindsj23, OUChrisLitt, AAclaire420
AIM: GameOverTripleH

My skateshop of choice: FTC Sacramento, Address: 1006 J. Street, #:frown:916) 444-4494
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/ftc_sacramento

yup, the TL Osha is good stuff.
i have yet to try any of their newer boojee spots tho.

green curry chix fried rice is :pimp:
pimp.gif

king of thai is aiite....hella greasy and their dishes all taste the same tho, esp their basil+garlic sauteed meat joints....they just switch em up and throw the same stuff over noodles or rice.

there used to be this real good Thai joint on Polk and like Geary. it's long gone, and even when it was around, heads used to sleep on it cuz i don't think most non-Asian folks were onto exotic Asian eats yet. For the life of me, i forget what it was called, but i used to roll there pretty often. everything was super on point....curries, satay appetizers, fried banana w/coconut ice cream (BEST i've ever had at ANY price), and more. only thing was one of the waiters used to keep eyeballing me....cool dude, but, well, i don't swing like that. one of my dumba$# friends thought it'd be real funny to slip dude my # when i hit the bathroom once. :rolleyes
eyes.gif
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN

At the moment, I am thinking about Q's on Clement between 2nd and 3rd or something. It's an american kind of restaurant. They have dishes like burgers, fried chicken :pimp:
pimp.gif
, salmon sandwich :pimp:
pimp.gif
, mac n cheezy....good food....Might go there sometime this week.
- Get in where you fit in...and thats real....

oh, i just remembered the name of that thai spot i was talking about............Naree.
again, it's long gone, but i hate it when i can't remember stuff.

what a shame tho. they had good grub.

Osha on the Embarcadero and 2nd Street are just as good.

2nd Street Osha is my go to spot when me and the wifey can't decide what to eat after work since its on the way home from the office.

My other go to dinner spot during baseball season is:

Primo Patio on Townsend and 3rd.

Jerk chicken and the snapper sandwich is on point. The pork sandwich on like Tues and Wed are also pretty damn good.

Though I haven't tried it, I hear they also serve a mean breakfast.

Too bad they only open late during home giants games. (they usually close at 4 )

Lee's sandwiches is OK, I eat there occasionally since there's one really close to my house. The pork one is good, and it's only 2.50..but I always get those vietnamese rolls with shrimp (no idea what it's called) that has the sauce...I have to try Saigon sometime but I'm never around SF...

and Panda is good too- not top notch chinese food but if you need a fast lunch and you want chinese it's a good option IMO, and sure as hell beats Mr. Chau's (does he still exist?). I always get fried rice+orange chicken+broccoli beef or kung pao chicken.

In Berkeley, I think there was this place called Thai Noodle (not sure) and it was CRAZY good and cheap. They had this hella good chicken on top of fried rice that was pure heaven in my mouth, but this was 2 yrs ago.

Team49ers
XVI . XIX . XXIII . XXIV . XXIX
UCSD Football: Still Undefeated​

Quote:
well at least for socal (san diego) you really can't top their carne asada fries....i've never tried it at taqueria las vegas but nothin can beat the places at SD. Lolita's is CRACK...that's about all I can give them though..hahaa

pretty much on point with the carne asada fries. it really is a shame not many spots up here offer it. taqueria las vegas is alright. i mentioned earlier in this thread that theres one in milpitas, but theres another one by NUMMI off fremont blvd. (i think thats the street). its slightly cheaper and its open later (they have a bar if that matters). theres free chips and salsa while waiting for your food.

coming from sacramento or on your way to the vacaville outlets? Baldos off of the merchant st. exit in vacaville sell carne asada fries too. they're alright too, but I personally like taqueria las vegas better.

regardless, SD is the place to go for it.

In SF/Peninsula...

Masu - 12.99 lunch special. All you can eat sushi+more. Made to order...not one of those buffet type deals. You can easily get your money back in 3 rounds. 3rd avenue in San Mateo

Americana Cafe - I've been there once. Good food, great prices, huge portions. Perfect place to bring your friends if they're picky as hell. They serve American, Italian, and Vietnamese, along with breakfast plates. Definitely a lot of hype on Yelp but its worth it. Between 26th and 27th and Balboa in the city i think.

Island Cafe - Open till 2am on M-W. 24 hours on Th-Sun I think. Hawaiian BBQ in the middle of the night. Decent food, a bit more expensive than L&L/Hawaiian Drive-In but it is a sit-down. Good place to go when you're tired of Dennys/IHOP/Jack. Located on the corner of 19th and Taraval I think.

I'll post more later. Yelp is your friend though :D
happy.gif

Sliders (SF/DC) - Burgers
Tu Lan (SF - 6th Street) - Vietnamese food...#24 never lets me down
Cheesesteak Shop (SF - Divisadero)
Yu Ri (SF - Market & Golden Gate [across from 6th Street]) - Korean BBQ
Siam Thai Noodle(SF - Mason & Ellis)
Taqueria Castillo B (SF - Mason St)
i dont know the name but the deli on Mason St. right by the parking garage leading to Market St.(across from Castillo B)

Cougnut&
Mac Dre&
Johnny Cash&
Mr. Cee.

For thai food I like Sala Thai in richmond. The food is fairly priced and the atmosphere is great. Fongstarr you should go check it out since you live in san pablo or around that area. Its right on richmond parkway where the new houses are by hilltop mall.

Damn i'm so in love with this thread :lol:
laugh.gif
Danny DeVito​
For President in 2008​
Because after seven limoncellos, the little guy can do anything...​

Berkeley::

I.B.'s is a good Cheesestake spot...I really can't compare to anything else, cause I haven't tried any other but its pretty good.
RAIDER NATION​

Back
Top Bottom