North Dakota Oil Boom Vol: Present day Gold Rush

Well damn. The homes family must be dumb as hell or copping last minute like you said.

Man I've always wanted to go on the rigs but I feel like I would let my parents down by doing so.

Anyways I remember I asked my friend when he gets breaks on the rig and he says ' every two weeks'. I go ' nah man like when do yall take breaks when working'.. he looks at me and says 'like i say every two weeks'

:X
Thats nuts

Wow this is insane. Definitely not for the light hearted but good luck out there cubanref cubanref and anyone else that is or already is out there. cubanref cubanref what exactly is it that you do out there? How long do you plan on being out there for?

Wow this is insane. Definitely not for the light hearted but good luck out there cubanref cubanref and anyone else that is or already is out there. cubanref cubanref what exactly is it that you do out there? How long do you plan on being out there for?

Thanks I appreciate it! I was working as a swamper for a rig moving company. We basically move drilling rigs from one location to another. Sometimes its a short move of about 5-10miles and sometimes we move them 100+ plus. Its pretty crazy how a drilling rig is set up. Almost every single piece of the rig can be hauled on the back of a special semi. My duties were to help the drivers back the truck up and load parts of the rig and then chain them down. It usually takes 2-3 days to take a rig apart, move it and put it back together. Its like a giant puzzle.

I recently left though...my dad got hurt at his job and had surgery so I decided to help him and take him to his doctors appointments. Drive him around and just help him out until he fully recovers. I'll probably be here til July or August and then do some traveling for a few months. Might get a part time job in a week or so just to have something to do

Make money to recover after u have stressed and injured ur self to make money.. ..

Thanks I appreciate it! I was working as a swamper for a rig moving company. We basically move drilling rigs from one location to another. Sometimes its a short move of about 5-10miles and sometimes we move them 100+ plus. Its pretty crazy how a drilling rig is set up. Almost every single piece of the rig can be hauled on the back of a special semi. My duties were to help the drivers back the truck up and load parts of the rig and then chain them down. It usually takes 2-3 days to take a rig apart, move it and put it back together. Its like a giant puzzle.

I recently left though...my dad got hurt at his job and had surgery so I decided to help him and take him to his doctors appointments. Drive him around and just help him out until he fully recovers. I'll probably be here til July or August and then do some traveling for a few months. Might get a part time job in a week or so just to have something to do

did it require you to have your CDL? Gonna go to the DMV tomorrow and get the permit started for it.

Money isn't everything.
It can be.

It depends what you do with it.

Better than having no money, am i rite?

depends on your situation. Obviously if you have family it's going to be your last resort.

For me, I'm young, don't have any relationship or major things holding me back, I can go while I'm able to deal with the environment and make lots of money for a couple years.

i'm shocked there's not a drug and prostitiution empire out there. Like someone else said, better for most to find a "hustle" that is indirectly related to the field like restauranteur, pimp, or evangelical preacher.

i'm shocked there's not a drug and prostitiution empire out there. Like someone else said, better for most to find a "hustle" that is indirectly related to the field like restauranteur, pimp, or evangelical preacher.
my dad lived in Fargo, ND for his pharmacy residency and worked at the VA during the early 80s and said that heroin was the most common thing he'd treat people for...

now its probably meth...
sick.gif

I felt the same way when I told my parents I was dropping out and joining the trades. They understood and are actually supporting me. :pimp:

does anybody know how the unions up there are? I'm sure it's completely different than California.

lucky. my parents are all about school school school.

What's even funnier is that me and my friend went out last night and he brought up that he wanted to work on the oilfields (i haven't seen him in a few months). Dude is studying to be a psychiatrist and wants to drop it all to be a roughneck :pimp:

My boy is a righand and he said theres  guys on rigs that sells drugs and what they get for actually working is a plus

i was thinking that, coke and meth would be ideal for these guys who need to stay alert.

and painkillers or heroin for those aches after work.

im sure theres some paisas there already with that market cornered.

Last edited:
Of course. They are twacked out for sure. That's how it goes with these jobs. Not all of them but a hand full sure are. Idk about heroin no body is trying to be puking at work but I'm sure some are working on that too.

i was thinking that, coke and meth would be ideal for these guys who need to stay alert.

and painkillers or heroin for those aches after work.

im sure theres some paisas there already with that market cornered.

I heard reports that the Cartels already got it locked down.

Just had a friend of mine who was in ND, he is part of the North Carolina union and he was doing pipe work up there. He told me he was making 95 dollars an hour. Now this is a guy who has been welding for 14+ years. But he never had any formal schooling and is just naturally good at what he does. I weld myself but I work for BMW and Mercedes Benz. I have given a ton of thought to working up there just for a while to pay off my house. Its good money but it is no joke on the hours or lifestyle.

He told me it was pretty hard for him to work up there for 3 months but the money and his kids reminded him to stick to it. I thought I worked a lot of hours but it was set hours unless I wanted to work more. BMW didnt want to pay me over 65hrs but Sundays were always x2 pay. In Tuscaloosa they let me work until I couldnt stay awake. But the great part that Cubanref mentioned was the per diem. I got $120 per day for per diem while I was in Alabama and I used that to pay off my truck and my wifes car.

Its a rough life to live if you have a family. But then again, you can choose when you want to work and where. Most of the time anyways. Pass a drug test and motivate yourself and it can provide a ton of networking. I'm looking to go back to California where my family is from and work for Northrup Grumman. Pay isn't as good but its stable and federally contracted.

cubanref cubanref School me on Oilfield Dispatching. I'm looking at jobs right now and that seems to fit me the best. How much do they get paid and what exactly do they do?

Last edited:
cubanref cubanref School me on Oilfield Dispatching. I'm looking at jobs right now and that seems to fit me the best. How much do they get paid and what exactly do they do?

I'm honestly not too familiar with what they actually do but I think they just schedule drivers routes for the day and keep track of their logs and loads. Possibly getting permits for large loads and mapping out routes for them. I'm pretty sure they start out between $18-20 an hour to start tho. Power Fuels is a pretty good company out here that deals with oilfield trucking services. Might want to check them out for more info

I'm honestly not too familiar with what they actually do but I think they just schedule drivers routes for the day and keep track of their logs and loads. Possibly getting permits for large loads and mapping out routes for them. I'm pretty sure they start out between $18-20 an hour to start tho. Power Fuels is a pretty good company out here that deals with oilfield trucking services. Might want to check them out for more info

Thank you :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom