NT LAWYERS.... LEGAL ADVICE...Drunk in Public

Short story.. Halloween in Chico, walking down the sidewalk behind a horse cop. Horse cop yells at another person for touching her horse, stops quickly andbacks up. Runs in to me, grabs me and arrests me for Drunk in Public, and harassing a police animal. Spent the night in county, first offense ever at 18 yearsold. What am I looking at and how could I fight this. Because in actuality I was no more intoxicated than anyone else, I posted .11 BAC after being booked. Ifeel like the horse charge is garbage, but what am I looking at as far as punishments and fines and a criminal record?

Wrong place, wrong time....you know the cops are on edge dealing with all the drunks last night....

i dunno what to tell you, but good luck. That REALLY sucks...

I'm not sure about CA but in TX it's zero tolerance for underage drinking, so blowing above a 0 will get you charged.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Wrong place, wrong time....you know the cops are on edge dealing with all the drunks last night....

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I feel you, but like Im really not sure what to expect. Like the guards seemed like it would be a slap on the wrist, but the more I look at itonline the more scared I get.

Originally Posted by Balla Jigga

Short story.. Halloween in Chico, walking down the sidewalk behind a horse cop. Horse cop yells at another person for touching her horse, stops quickly and backs up. Runs in to me, grabs me and arrests me for Drunk in Public, and harassing a police animal. Spent the night in county, first offense ever at 18 years old. What am I looking at and how could I fight this. Because in actuality I was no more intoxicated than anyone else, I posted .11 BAC after being booked. I feel like the horse charge is garbage, but what am I looking at as far as punishments and fines and a criminal record?
learn your lesson from this and move on. Just cause everyone else is drunk in public does not mean you should be too. Stay home and drink FTW!

Wow, dude. Wow. What the hell does a cop need a *%!*%@% horse for anyway?

My sympathies, homie.

Should have asked the horse cop if you could ride.

And I don't mean her horse.

Originally Posted by georgehimself

How are you gonna be drinking underage and walking behind a cop? Smooth move exlax.
Seriously...now that I think about it. Cop was on a horse...@@* were you doing near that?

Originally Posted by HUYNHer

Wow, dude. Wow. What the hell does a cop need a *%!*%@% horse for anyway?

My sympathies, homie.

I honestly think it's for intimidation. I used to see this all the time in downtown Houston and New Orleans
laugh.gif

I'm not even gonna front, cops be looking down from you from like 9ft in the air when they are on horseback. It's a different feeling.

You're probably just looking at 6-12 months probation and a fine (I'd imagine under $1,000). It's really all up to the discretion of the judge.I've seen people with identical charges and backgrounds, and get completely different outcomes. Have you spoken to a lawyer? If not, I suggest you do.You'll probably have to prepare a packet to give to the judge to review who you are and whether or not he/she should go lightly on you or not. In thispacket, you'll try to include things that establish a good character for yourself. If you're 18 and getting trashed in public, you might be up aslippery slope, though. If you have a good GPA, a job, good HS attendance, etc. it'll all help make you look better. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

son, that's when you run... RUN around the damn horse... run up some stairs... run to the rat stop... but RUN!!
Man I'm not running from a horse. Do you know how fast a horse is?

You better hope if you try to run there's some narrow alleys you can run down, otherwise that cop is going to chase you down on his horse and knock youupside the head like he's playing polo.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

You're probably just looking at 6-12 months probation and a fine (I'd imagine under $1,000). It's really all up to the discretion of the judge. I've seen people with identical charges and backgrounds, and get completely different outcomes. Have you spoken to a lawyer? If not, I suggest you do. You'll probably have to prepare a packet to give to the judge to review who you are and whether or not he/she should go lightly on you or not. In this packet, you'll try to include things that establish a good character for yourself. If you're 18 and getting trashed in public, you might be up a slippery slope, though. If you have a good GPA, a job, good HS attendance, etc. it'll all help make you look better. Good luck.
What do you think about a criminal record? Could I get this expunged?

Depends on your state and what class of misdemeanor it is.

More than likely, the probation will be for deferred adjudication. Deferred adjudication simply meaning that the state is going to defer (delay) theirjudgement on you (guilty or not) until the probation is over. If you complete the probation successfully, you won't have a conviction on your record. Thearrest will still show up, but like I said, depending on your state, etc. you may be able to get it expunged.

Fortunately, having 'just an arrest' isn't that bad. Most job apps only ask if you've been convicted of a felony or if you have ever beenconvicted of anything besides a traffic ticket--you would still be able to answer "no" to both of those if you complete your probation. And, if youdo get an app that asks if you have been arrested for anything, it's usually not that big of a deal. Employers are typically just seeing if you'rewilling to be honest about it.

I'd suggest going around and trying to talk to a lawyer just to get a better sense of what to expect because things are different locally and stuff. Sinceyou're just facing a simple charge, you can get one of those dirt cheap lawyers that usually handle traffic stuff or something.

Back
Top Bottom