NT...REAL TALK, why do they call us African AMERICANS?

This thought popped into my head this morning for some reason. I mean think about it, white people from europe are still called french, german, italian. Theyaren't called french american or german american. Asians are called asians, mexicans are called mexicans even if they weren't born in Mexico. Why didthey decide to put the AMERICAN on our name? Just curious...

Your hang up is with the wrong part, why they call us African? Nothing about me is African.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Your hang up is with the wrong part, why they call us African? Nothing about me is African.

Where does your family originate from? I consider myself African because I am of African descent.

the hang up can be both parts ... to answer the american part, its because black people wanted to feel like a part of the whole so hence the american ... forthe african part, its an easy way to generalize and group black people ... same way it is for germans and italians etc... etc...

personally i think we should call people white black or brown ... $+*@ all the origins and what not, thats for people to get to know each other ...

Originally Posted by datdude87

^What do you mean? If you're black, your ancestors are from Africa right?

Everybody's ancestors are from Africa
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Where does your family originate from? I consider myself African because I am of African descent.

My dad is Jamaican.

I always thought that:

African American = Black people who feel they have no ties to Africa. Spent their whole lives in America as well as their parents.

African = Black people who are directly connected to Africa. Either by being born there or having their parents born there.

Am I ig'nant?

Why did they decide to put the AMERICAN on our name? Just curious...

This is a good question...one I've never really thought about for some reason. Other than American Indian...no other group in the census has American attached to it

African American = Black people who feel they have no ties to Africa. Spent their whole lives in America as well as their parents.

African = Black people who are directly connected to Africa. Either by being born there or having their parents born there.
it's just a classification in the census. It's not that deep. "African" does not appear in the U.S Census. It's Black orAfrican-American.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Why did they decide to put the AMERICAN on our name? Just curious...

This is a good question...one I've never really thought about for some reason. Other than American Indian...no other group in the census has American attached to it
I know, but what i'm saying is that french and italian families that have been here for generations don't feel the need to add the suffix of american to the end of their orgins. Only African Americans do. I'm just trying to get down to the reasoning as to why this is so... I know, but why would they feel they have no ties to africa? Are they ashamed? I mean like I said, french and any other orgins family that have been in America for generations don't add the suffix of American at the end of their name.

it's just a classification in the census. It's not that deep. "African" does not appear in the U.S Census. It's Black or African-American.

i get indian american sometimes...doesnt really bother me.

i've heard of mexican american as well.

^What do you mean? If you're black, your ancestors are from Africa right?

Everybody's ancestors are from Africa
grin.gif
pimp.gif

"The Blackman is the original man. From him came all brown, yellow, red, and white people."

- Bean Pie my brother?

Back
Top Bottom