NT school me on driving Stick

listen to the motor and feel the clutch/gas you'll get it faster that way
practice on an empty road just keep driving around and testing it

Last edited:
I learned on a pick up but I don't think I'll ever drive stick, too much traffic out here for all that

:lol: I recently learned how to do so, I still stay away from hills.
my*****-o.gif
:lol: im gonna avoid hills too until im confident enough to drive them.

The hardest part is learning how to go from a stop. Once you get a feel for the clutch and gas, and are able to roll in 1st effortlessly, the rest is easy. I learned how to stop and go in like 30 minutes, and after 2 days, I was ready and comfortable to drive on the highway.

Depending on how steep the hill, etc...you can take different approaches. Slowly go up, use your e-brake, etc...

Turns, I usually love to down-shift (rev-match) into 2nd, while in my powerband and just floor it. If i have to stop, I'll put it in neutral the last few few feet, and then put it in first. You don't want to coast in neutral alot, because if there is ever a situation where you have to swerve, you're a sitting duck by being in neutral.

Stick shift is definitely a lot more enjoyable in a performance car :evil:
is it possible to come to a complete stop and continue in 2nd or 3rd or do you typically always have to be in 1st?I haven't personally tried it but I have slowed down on turns and didnt completely stop but resumed driving in 3rd. I dropped it to 2nd though and then back to 3rd. I feel 3rd is good to be in for neighborhoods and regular roads. 1st is to get me going 2nd is to get my past a stop light, and 3rd is my regular roads cruising speed.

Moving from ny to va I felt some type of way that every chick I knew could drive stick and I couldn't. I've still never driven one frequently, but riding a bike I understand the concept and could probably drop right in. One day I'll cop a separate sports car stick.

Once I learned how to drive stick I never wanted to go back to automatic. It's sooo much better driving a stick shift. Op, this is what I do, say if I'm on 3rd and I make a turn, I'll just downshift to 2nd gear get my rpms back up and go back to 3rd. As for stopping I just pop into neutral and coast and apply the brake as necessary. That's just me tho, reading these replies there's obviously many other ways. I drive a slammed '93 civic EG. Enjoy the experience nonetheless!

Last edited:
:lol: I remember when the car use to stall on me on a busy intersection I would be sweating buckets, mad nervous trying to get the car started again

is it possible to come to a complete stop and continue in 2nd or 3rd or do you typically always have to be in 1st?I haven't personally tried it but I have slowed down on turns and didnt completely stop but resumed driving in 3rd. I dropped it to 2nd though and then back to 3rd. I feel 3rd is good to be in for neighborhoods and regular roads. 1st is to get me going 2nd is to get my past a stop light, and 3rd is my regular roads cruising speed.
:I remember when the car use to stall on me on a busy intersection I would be sweating buckets, mad nervous trying to get the car started again

No, if you come to a complete stop you have to start off on 1st. 1st is your gear to take off, if you try to come off a complete stop on 2nd or anything after that your car would stall. How many gears does your car have? Remember, you can also coast in 4th gear. My car is a five gear car and I use 4th to coast local streets and 5th for highways.

it's possible, but it isn't good for your car nor is it easy to do, instead of getting the quicker start from a stopped position you will slowly creep if you try to go while in 2nd or 3rd gear. I I'know from doing it on accident now and again haha

I learned through trial and error. My dad tried teaching me and it is one of those things you have to learn by doing, not seeing.

My best advice to learning clutch on a car is to find where the clutch catches.

Slowly depress the clutch until you feel the car slightly lunge or feel RPM drop.

That's when you add gas and let off the clutch pedal while doing so.

Like everyone has said, I would downshift from 3 to 2 on turns. My first car was a stick and I used to love driving it.

When you're doing a turn from 4th or 3rd you have to shift it to second and letting go the cltch to the sweet spot and do at the same time engine brake and normal brake. So when you're out of the turn, you already are on the second gear running...

Here's how I do it

Once I take off I usually go to about 10mph(1500-2500rpm) before I shift into 2nd

2nd gear: 10-20mph(1500-3000rpm) 

3rd gear: 20-30mph(1500-3000rpm) 

4th gear: 30-40mph(1500-3000rpm)

5th gear: 50mph up

I hardly ever go over 3k rpm. 

As far as coming to a stop, no matter what gear I am in as soon as I get close enough I'll throw it in neutral and coast to the stop, if its a complete stop I start over with 1st gear. If I'm coasting to a light and it turns green before I get there (depending how fast you're going) I'll engage the clutch blip the gas enough and go into the gear I need to. 

Pro tip: Starting from an incline or a hill always scared me, but its actually simple if you do this trick. Pull up the e-brake, push down the clutch, throw it in first gear, start giving it some gas and once you feel some force like it wants to move slowly let the e-brake go down and you shouldn't roll back or stall. It takes a while to get it but once you master it it always works. 

Good luck 

I don't know maybe ask the person who's car youre using to teach you?

Thread is the reason why parents should buy their kids dirt bikes.

If you're going to learn try not to do it on a newer car just because of wear and tear.

Don't be scared to have some fun in second in a short distance and go directly from second to 4th.

Last edited:
When you're doing a turn from 4th or 3rd you have to shift it to second and letting go the cltch to the sweet spot and do at the same time engine brake and normal brake. So when you're out of the turn, you already are on the second gear running...

Yes, that's a good way to do it.

You also don't want to coast round corners - leave it in gear even if you're braking and then change down for the corner - much better traction that way.

Taught myself how to drive stick. Blew the ****** out after a little over a year.

After three years I was driving one day and had this epiphany like damn THAT's what it's supposed to feel like. Was abusing the clutch for years.

Taught myself how to drive stick. Blew the ****** out after a little over a year.

After three years I was driving one day and had this epiphany like damn THAT's what it's supposed to feel like. Was abusing the clutch for years.

What were you doing that blew the ****** out in a year?

I wanna know this too. You must've been driving hard to blow out your transmission like that..

Learning to drive stick is turning into a lost art. It's on my bucket list tho.

Driving stick shift cars is fun.

Get a beater at first though.

Just practice around the streets. It's all about the "feel" of the clutch to switch gears. You get to know the sweet spots of your car.

Hills are always a challenge when starting.

You will more than likely burn that clutch a couple of times.

As far as turns, I do what nacho does. Approach turn, clutch, change to 2nd gear as i turn, let go of the clutch and press the gas.

nice

Back
Top Bottom