#NTNurses RNs (Registered Nurses)/Student Nurses Of NikeTalk Official Thread.

So from what I'm seeing, you have your AA and just transferred, and your a year in a half from graduating with your bachelors in bio? So you're currently in a bio program?

Assuming you didn't apply to any Nursing programs yet, and want a BSN (which is a requirement to work in a hospital after 2020), it's obviously going to take a bit longer than a year and a half for your degree if you want to change to Nursing. If you want a MSN to become a Nurse Practitioner, it'll be even longer than the BSN obviously.
 Should I keep my degree biology or change it to nursing?
Do whatever you have the most passion in, I believe that you'll be a lot more satisfied with your life if you put more value in your happiness rather than money.
What am I looking forward to in terms of the next couple of years in terms of me having a 2 year degree now?
I'm assuming you have an AA right now, so your options to Nursing as an RN are either apply into a 4 year BSN program or apply to an ADN program and do 2 years there, then transfer into a RN to BSN program to complete your BSN. There's no right or better option, it's simply up to you on what works best.

So if GSU has a 4 year BSN program and that's where you want to go, then apply to that, but for example, some Nursing programs are hyper competitive, so some people choose to go to a CC and apply for a 2 year ADN program, then get the ADN degree, then transfer to that initial Nursing program & school that you wanted to go to if they have an RN to BSN option since that is typically easier to get into and you can work as an RN with your ADN. Either way, you end up with the BSN.

If you're truly interested in doing Nursing, I would highly suggest you to talk to a Nursing counselor at your school. They're there to help you with whatever you need with your academics.

Just passed my certification about a month back. Stay focused guys, feels like I was just applying to my program yesterday. The time will fly.

Just passed my certification about a month back. Stay focused guys, feels like I was just applying to my program yesterday. The time will fly.
Congrats bro! I'm about to start my third semester next week, I'm halfway there!

So from what I'm seeing, you have your AA and just transferred, and your a year in a half from graduating with your bachelors in bio? So you're currently in a bio program?

Assuming you didn't apply to any Nursing programs yet, and want a BSN (which is a requirement to work in a hospital after 2020), it's obviously going to take a bit longer than a year and a half for your degree if you want to change to Nursing. If you want a MSN to become a Nurse Practitioner, it'll be even longer than the BSN obviously.

Do whatever you have the most passion in, I believe that you'll be a lot more satisfied with your life if you put more value in your happiness rather than money.

I'm assuming you have an AA right now, so your options to Nursing as an RN are either apply into a 4 year BSN program or apply to an ADN program and do 2 years there, then transfer into a RN to BSN program to complete your BSN. There's no right or better option, it's simply up to you on what works best.

So if GSU has a 4 year BSN program and that's where you want to go, then apply to that, but for example, some Nursing programs are hyper competitive, so some people choose to go to a CC and apply for a 2 year ADN program, then get the ADN degree, then transfer to that initial Nursing program & school that you wanted to go to if they have an RN to BSN option since that is typically easier to get into and you can work as an RN with your ADN. Either way, you end up with the BSN.

If you're truly interested in doing Nursing, I would highly suggest you to talk to a Nursing counselor at your school. They're there to help you with whatever you need with your academics.

Thank you so much! I'm still gathering a lot of info and will be calling around tomorrow as to what my next move will be. My Associates is in general studies and was planning on changing my major once I transferred but now I'm afraid that may set me back. I took many of my prerequisite classes though and my GPA coming out of there is a 3.2 so I don't think I'll be able to get into a nursing program right away. I'll be speaking with some counselors and doing some research as well as coming into this thread often to learn about the process as well as gaining great info! Thanks again.

^ Just started my first semester and I'm not used to all the workload yet. And the 11 hour skills lab omg, but I'm gonna grind til the end. Congrats on almost finishing and hope you pass the NCLEX your first try.

I'm so happy I'm back in the swing of things (regarding my education) & working towards my goal of becoming an RN.

I have about 40 units of pre-reqs completed & my heart & mind were just never into the classes (was depressed for a really long time).

Although I was just going through the motions, I maintained a 3.85 GPA w/ barely any effort but now I'm more focused & driven than I have ever been in my life.

I had always planned to get my ASN then work while I pursue my BSN but after speaking to a counselor she suggested I might as well go straight for the latter due to each taking the same amount of time to earn & as you guys have mentioned, the BSN will be needed anyways come 2020.

I'm 23 btw & I used to get really disheartened by not being were I wanted to be career-wise at this age but I've come to realize everyone's life journey takes different paths & not to compare myself to others.

I've had to destroy everything about me to come to where I am today. While this sounds depressing, it is not. For destruction is a form of creation & like the Phoenix, I rise from the ashes anew ready to conquer my life.

To my fellow NTers who are in the process or looking to get into nursing, we gon' do this :pimp:

Last edited:
I am also 23 and looking forward to trying to get in nursing school so I can become a RN. I just finished my Emt class a passed with a A but I expect nursing school to be way harder. Quick question how much in student loans should I look into taking out for nursing school.
Thanks to all the help you guys provided in this thread it really help me in making my desicion to go for my RN before that I wanted to try my luck in getting into a fire department but that seems harder.

Man I'm 25 and still need to finish two prereqs that I should finish this year and then applying for schools. I'm behind :frown:

Also what is this teas exam? Might as well start studying now :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks. Appreciate it. I'm assuming that's a major factor in getting accepted?
Depends on your school, my school, it's the main factor for your acceptance and GPA is the tiebreaker if you get the same TEAS score as someone.

So basically my GPA at my school don't mean poop.

Cool. What's the age group around for some of your guys' school. Like for me I would start when I'm around 26 is that old for some people already?

It's never too old to better yourself for the future

Truth. I was 26 when I started nursing school (2 year program) and finishing this summer.

Probably a long shot, but any of you NT RNs make the move from a Canadian nursing school/program down to the US?

Currently in Toronto and with the introduction of the NCLEX last year, I'm thinking about taking advantage and moving back stateside (was born in NYC). I'm hoping to work in pediatrics, but any RN job with good benefits will be fine by me

I've heard something about 'travel nurses" who went to school in Canada and worked in the states but don't really know too much about it yet

Last edited:
^ I can speak on travel nursing which is heavily recruited by nursing recruiters to help hospitals/facilities that are in need of staffing. Lucrative field in which you receive good pay + living stipend + tax benefits. Travel assignments range from 1-6months, some hospitals/facilities offer you a position after.

I became an RN at 32.

Its not easy and you will have to put your life and hobbies on hold for a few years. If you have the focus, determination and the support you can get it done and it will be very rewarding emotionally and monetarily.

I took a year off and just started taking courses for my BSN this semester.
nthat.gif

How old see some of you guys that see RNs?
worded weird lol but I'm 29...just finished my 1st semester

thought folks were trolling but you really don't have a life ...balancing being a parent, school, and work is
eek.gif

luckily my job is laid back most of the time so I can get a lot of studying done

Last edited:
Only on my third week and my god the work load is a lot. Also, I'm really nervous about starting clinicals.... Forgot that RN's are accountable for a **** load of things and starting to have second thoughts if I want to be doing this for the rest of my life. Do any of you guys feel like this?

Only on my third week and my god the work load is a lot. Also, I'm really nervous about starting clinicals.... Forgot that RN's are accountable for a **** load of things and starting to have second thoughts if I want to be doing this for the rest of my life. Do any of you guys feel like this?

Sure being a nurse isn't just passing meds. You have many hats and it has its days, but it's something you better be sure you want to do. Otherwise you will be miserable. I like my job but there are days where I want to punch a wall.

For all you guys in school. Get in there, practice as much stuff as you can. Do IVs, wound care, get your hands dirty, it's the time to learn and make mistakes. Don't be a lil *****

Back
Top Bottom