NT'rs w/ social science degrees VOL. Grad school ain't the only option...

What kind of professions are you in/looking to go into? Money isn't a huge issue, but obviously minimum wage is not whats poppin. Please share experiences and what not

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

I'm not sure what youre asking.
ain't, poppin, what not... 

yo speak english

Are you being serious? I tried to lighten it up a little by adding colloquialisms, but clearly they went over your head. First off, the question is pretty clear in the first sentence, I don't see how anyone could NOT understand that. The second sentence was simply alluding to the fact that I'm not looking for professions with lucrative salaries, but a decent level of wage is to be expected. And since when was the term "what not" considered not English? If you don't have an answer to the question there's no need to be an %%+ about it.

Yo relax
laugh.gif
Just be clear, this isn't your living room w/ people over

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Yo relax
laugh.gif
Just be clear, this isn't your living room w/ people over
Yeah but it's Niketalk
laugh.gif
C'mon man...

Anyone though? I know NT has a decent amount of professionals

Non-profit are 'what's popping' at the moment, for career opportunities.

Teaching Abroad in English (despite the influx of recent applicants) is also what's popping (get to your country of choice via plane ticket), apply to the local schools and voila. Traveling and working at the same time.

What's your major?

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

Non-profit are 'what's popping' at the moment, for career opportunities.

Teaching Abroad in English (despite the influx of recent applicants) is also what's popping (get to your country of choice via plane ticket), apply to the local schools and voila. Traveling and working at the same time.

What's your major?

Yeah I've been looking at non-profits but there aren;t many options in or around my hometown (Syracuse, NY)

And as far as the teaching abroad thing, I've been hearing about that a lot recently, sounds pretty interesting. I just wouldn't be crazy about flying over to a foreign country before knowing for sure that I had something lined up.

I have a bachelors in psych and am currently in grad school.

Non profits are a good place to look but are not that stable. They are grant funded and if the funding is cut so is your position.

Case management at a mental heatlth organization is what Im looking into.

Child protective services is always hiring,  but I hear its hard to last there. Very stressfull,overworked, high turn over

Originally Posted by ponson02

I have a bachelors in psych and am currently in grad school.

Non profits are a good place to look but are not that stable. They are grant funded and if the funding is cut so is your position.

Case management at a mental heatlth organization is what Im looking into.

Child protective services is always hiring,  but I hear its hard to last there. Very stressfull,overworked, high turn over
Yeah my cousin was in CPS and is getting her Masters in social work now. I applaud those who can handle that kinda work bc I definitely couldn't
laugh.gif

Well here's the thing...

If you decide to teach abroad. The problem with applying while overseas are (the people who have experience or already in their destination country to teach). Have a higher chance of being hired over someone overseas (they try to avoid paying for airplane tickets, unless you're a really noteworthy candidate). Best places right now to do so are Korea and Japan (although this place is high impacted with applicants). Other alternatives are South America and other Asian countries (Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc.) They don't pay as much but the job market is a bit more stable out there.

Corrections. And no, I don't mean taking the Rick Ross route. Prisons always seem to be hiring staff for psych and sociology-related jobs. And they're usually state jobs so you have decent benefits to make up for the average pay.

Back
Top Bottom