NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

The .380 round is a hit or miss with folks (no pun)
There's always mixed opinions, never fails. I personally like it and feel safe with it.
Some people swear by the .45 others are straight 9mm groupies.
The only caliber I dislike that I won't ever mess with is the 40 cal.

Short to mid term pick up goal.

Ruger 1911 love that they are made in my home state.

Two reps.

40 Does Suck. To me its a pointless tweener round jus Like the .357 sig.

They both are ballistically superior to the .38 and 9mm for sure but the difference between them n a .45 is what cpl inches of penetration? Fire a 160grain critical duty and ull get 18 inches of penetration. Eff a barrier and a tweener round. If its really truly about having something.ballistically superior minus whale carry the 10mm or hell a 454 cauall or .460 rowland. Then u wont.hafta worry about ft lbs. Velocity. Nothin. Point and destroy.

Also sr1911s are so sext. I dont like all the black plastic tho and for what itd cost to replace em your entering range officer or entry level kimber prices. Id prefer either of those over the ruger. But for 100% american made That thing is kickin ***. Been sellin like hot cakes since they relased. The cmd version too

There's always mixed opinions, never fails. I personally like it and feel safe with it.

Why .40?

Not many applications for it where a 9mm +p+ wouldnt perform about identically is all. Many ppl swear by it but its pretty well documented the kinetic energy advantage of the 40 doesnt really mean much because that isnt what kills u... penetration. And size of wound chanel after placement. If it doesnt hit CNS u wanna damage the vitals as much as possible for quick incap. For me the .45 and a hot 9 jhp are gunna do the trick and be more pleasant to shoot. They will have the drawback of less speed and energy but not a significant enough amount for me to give up on the size of rd and ease of shooting of the .45 or the capacity and ease of shooting a hopped up 9 rd.

Took the titan and the keltec out today :pimp:

Pic is the first mag thru the pistol. Thing is dead accurate and not a single hickup n about 300 rds now. Shots are to the left b/c of me. Was cold and dry and i couldnt ride the slide with my front thumb like i wanted.

Cheap guns :pimp:

Yes a .40 is a shorter weaker 10mm

.357 sig is similarly sized to 9mm but moves along much faster. Good for penetration.

Thanks ima look into that I'm looking for a new carry gun I'm gonna go the legal way and get a ccw this time around does anyone know a estimated time it'll take and some good full size guns to carry

[COLOR=#red]I'm not married to one specific caliber....first pistol was a .40, next two were .45, next two were 9mm. I made my final decision based on a mixture of effectiveness, availability, price, and platform size. The sweet spot was 9mm. It doesn't lead in any of the categories I've mentioned but it places well in all of those categories. Plus now I'm all about having one caliber in all of my pistols for logistics reasons. But technically speaking even a .22 caliber pistol can effectively kill a person[/COLOR]

9mm is my favorite without a doubt

Question tho not many people are fans of the .380.

Jewseejay you mentioned something about seeing some one getting hit and taking off.

But my question after seeing countless reviews and from both sides would you take a shot from a .380 and still be able to run off?

Srs.

Everyone please chime in.

Without a doubt. Provided it doesnt hit my head, neck or spine. Or go thru the heart.

That doesnt mean its not gunna adequetly protect you tho. Jus that in a an exchange of gunfire your at a decided disadvantage rd for rd. Make good shots and its likely irrelevant. Make a bad shot and the guy with the bigger bullet is gunna get to return fire which is obviosly no bueno.

Whose gunna bleed out first the guy with the golfball sized holes n him or the guy with the baseball size holes n em

Also greater chance at makin a bad shot good the bigger the rd. Which is why the shotgun is so venerable for the house. Eliminate the whole marksmanship part altogether

Without a doubt. Provided it doesnt hit my head, neck or spine. Or go thru the heart.

That doesnt mean its not gunna adequetly protect you tho. Jus that in a an exchange of gunfire your at a decided disadvantage rd for rd. Make good shots and its likely irrelevant. Make a bad shot and the guy with the bigger bullet is gunna get to return fire which is obviosly no bueno.

Whose gunna bleed out first the guy with the golfball sized holes n him or the guy with the baseball size holes n em

Also greater chance at makin a bad shot good the bigger the rd. Which is why the shotgun is so venerable for the house. Eliminate the whole marksmanship part altogether
hold up, let's be clear about ammo and ballistics and stopping power and all of that stuff especially when it comes to handguns/pistols.

[COLOR=#red] "Provided it doesnt hit my head, neck or spine. Or go thru the heart." Actually JSJ you could say that about almost any caliber. We need to be careful when talking about ballistics and damage potential of particular rounds. Before heading to heading off to Afghanistan in our combat trauma course we (for the record I wasn't in the military) had to look at pictures of all types of bullet wounds, shrapnel wounds, blast wounds etc and you'd be surprised at some of the stuff some people actually survived from various weapon platform and some were still able to ambulate afterwards.

" Make a bad shot and the guy with the bigger bullet is gunna get to return fire which is obviosly no bueno." Not necessarily true, the truth is that there are an infinite amount of variables that can happen in a gunfight and it has less to do with the size of the projectile and more to do with the skill of the shooter and a shooters ability to keep a high level of proficiency under duress....meaning it's easy to go to the range and be relatively accurate, but when your heartrate is elevated and you're in a life or death situation will you be as proficient. Training helps to mitigate that, but most ranges don't allow for the type of training it requires. I used to go to a range around Ft. Bragg that the Green Berets used and it featured a kill house and a SUV that we practiced vehicle egress under fire. All we did was drill drill drill. Also when I was with the Feds we had to train with the instructors shooting at us with Airsoft guns and let me tell you even with it being Airsoft guns it definitely made things a lot more challenging.

TL;DR version...Pick a caliber you are happy with and train with it...your individual proficiency with your particular firearm of the caliber of your choice will be the biggest determining factor in defending yourself...not so much the size of the bullet.[/COLOR]

Everything i said is 100% factual my man. Ive stated several times it really doesnt matter what your shot with provided it hits the right place. That being said theres a reason leo doesnt carry .38 anymore and the marines and special combat units use .45 and not 9mm

If you dont hit the CNS or the heart which causes almost instanteous shock from massive bloodloss you want the bigger bullet. Every time. Theres millions of variables. Clothing. Angles. Lighting. Density. Bullet. Type bullet caliber. Whatever you wanna go to but time and time again coroners reports will show the bigger rd the greater the likeihood for death. 9.9 times. The .357 i guess statistically has the highest probability of killing you with one shot from the research ive seen but only because ppl dont carry 44 mags much outside of bear country. After that... 45 after that .40 then 9mm. Its not an accident the bigger the rd the better the shot at hittingbthe CNS or vitals.

Ballistics aside i get it. Its harder than it looks thats why i suggested the shotgun then it doesnt matter what tier 1 operator is stalking down the hallway. In times of stress yes your going to revert to your training level not all of a sudden be ted nugent when its time. Us civilians can practice with our guns too tho :smile:

Ive done alot of research on handgun ballistics. Alot hah

[COLOR=#red]other variables are capacity, size of platform, concealability, and follow up shot speed...ESPECIALLY when talking about civilians considering most states don't allow open carry. Size is not as important as people like to discuss on internet message boards. 9mm is more than adequately deadly and is more likely to be found in platform sizes that encourage people to carry everyday in any season with nice capacity, and since the ammo is cheaper it encourages more practice. People shouldn't feel undergunned because they aren't packing a .45. Like I said I've owned 2 gawd .45s the FNP .45 Tac and Kimber with Crimson Trace laser grips, but I feel just as capable with my Parabellum...as a matter of fact I love how fast I can be back on target after a shooting with a 9mm...moreso than the bigger rounds. Get some Ranger SXT ammo (rebranded and better version of the infamous Black Talons) in 9mm and you're good to go.

BTW SEALS main sidearm is still the Sig P226 in 9mm I know because I was deployed with them in Iraq and would watch them shoot on the range. They sometimes will use the HK 45 pistol but not always. Also Army Special Forces uses the M9 for the most part. We got issued the M-11 (Sig p-228/9)

[/COLOR]

Yea i hear ya. I know you have way more experience actually using the stuff than anyone on here but my point was in relation to carryin a .380 for self defense. I still dont think its a great idea but theres millions of old fogies with j/k frames that can shoot the wings off flys with em so who am i to tell them or anyone else what to do.

With my life tho knowing what i know about what is and isnt going to kill someone. I want a big expanding bullet.. haha

If im goin on a tactical mission or the shtf and theres zombies... gimme a 9 with max cap.

If im walkin around town and get jumped for my wallet... i want a .45

Sleeping at my house n hear a bump n the night... .45

Actually even in a tactical situation i want a .45 lol a p14 or ur fn equals 14 rds of acp win.

But really a .45 isnt the solution to all ur problems. Whatever u can hit what ur aiming at with is.

Last edited:
Well I feel fine with my .380 as my carry pistol. To each their maybe I just haven't done enough research so feel I need to carry a 9mm and up (I own a 9mm btw)

If I end up going with a different carry pistol it'll be a g19.

Last edited:
Thats the thing. There are no right answers. U could watch 100 vids and study 10 thousand ballistic charts but still feel best with the 38 n ur hands. Thats fine. But again if ur carrying to protect urself im an advocate of givin urself some adcantages ballistically.

Guns are like golf clubs tho i guess. U could do every job with one but its easier when u pick one applicable to a given situation. A good .357 wheel gun might be a good idea. Then u can shoot 38 specials and load it with the magnums for specific scenarios. Thats why i like glocks too. Relatively easy to do barrel swaps and have 2 calibers for one gun.

[COLOR=#red]JewSeeJay, I'm glad we had a chance to discuss things like this bro....because information comes out of stuff like this and for every few poster there's a lurker or two that picks up a little something. You had some really great points my dude. You know how it is firearm preferences are extremely personal and funny thing is your preferences can change with time...I remember a time when I never had anything good to say about Glock :lol: But real talk you'd hardly hear anyone talking bad about 1911s.

I don't know if you remember, but NT's original gun thread was started by the late NT'er Big Fame One (BFO), dude was a legend on NT and he had a serious firearm collection. One thing I loved about him was that he stood strong by his opinion and sometimes it would get heated, but you had to respect his passion for boomsticks. He passed away unfortunately. We were all allowed to agree or disagree while still having a healthy respect for the information in the thread. I only hope it can be the same way in here...so if you feel strong about something speak up like you've been doing, we're all better for it.[/COLOR]

No doubt man. Big ups to ppl like yourself. Bfo. Seatle 206. ARguy. Richiecotitie and a few others that have dropped sooo much valuable info over the years. I was like a sponge n this thread early on when i had jus caught the shooting bug. Now here i am many thousands of rounds and dollars later trying to contribute haha.

I hope fame knows the impact he had on a young n00b hah

*pours out some cherry wheat sam*

Crazy this thread is still goin strong w/o trolls and attention-seeking cats trying to derail it.

I've been in a "If the world to crap tomorrow, would I be prepared?" mentality so I've started thinking of investing in less expensive guns and knives to prep myself and my family. Really want an M4 but will probably settle for shotty for now. Won't happen before I get that Ruger LC9 I've been eyeing for a while tho but all in due time. Tough trying to sneak around the wife w/ stuff like this :lol:

Back
Top Bottom