NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

If you have hands on the bigger side, go w/ the Ruger LC9, it's a little bigger, if you're sold on the LCP, get the extendclip w/ the lip for better comfort while holding it. I've been eyeing the LC9 for a few years now, just gotta get affairs in order to justify the purchase.
Cant tell the price since I'm at work but if it's more than $200 then it's not worth it . .22(LR) ammo is cheap but there's really no stopping power behind it. If you're going to get a rifle of that nature, I wouldn't go smaller than .223, but if you go 5.56, the chamber could hold .223 rounds which are cheaper than the 5.56

If you are really strapping for funds and want a rifle like that, don't go smaller than a 9mm

Its 479, plus 200 debate plus 50 buck coupon code so it would be like 230. I guess thats why this considered a trainging gun. Thanks for the tip though. What would be the best option sub 600 bucks, that isnt a shotgun? Looking for something with least kick/recoil. Im not into guns so more so want something to get the job done God forbid.

Shouldn't be too hard to find something sub $600. Even can check out your local gun shows. It'll more than likely be a .223 which is good for home defense, 9mm or even .45acp versions would be a lil less expensive

Can you mod triggers so the pull could be shorter?

I know it can be done on my XDm.

I assume it would be able to be done on Smith and Wessons too.

the gun is a popular gun, no question. I personally wasn't a fan of the trigger but my friend who owns it, loves it.

Just get a 12ga lucky. It won't knock you around.

A .22 will kill but it will take a while. If you aren't a experienced shooter I wouldn't mess with a pistol either. You can grab a pump for like 300 bucks, you got a better chance at hitting them and it won't go through a walls and hit your neighbor. I'm grabbing my pump all day over my pistol if I'm at home.

Just get a 12ga lucky. It won't knock you around.

A .22 will kill but it will take a while. If you aren't a experienced shooter I wouldn't mess with a pistol either. You can grab a pump for like 300 bucks, you got a better chance at hitting them and it won't go through a walls and hit your neighbor. I'm grabbing my pump all day over my pistol if I'm at home.

Lol i guess i just need to go shooting more. When i went to the range and shot with which ever shotgun they have me (for get the model), i wanted no parts of that lol. Im gonna find some classes for me and my girl because we both want to get conceal carry permits also.

16 days till I can cop a handgun of some sort. Thinking of a Taurus revolver
You getting your ccw? Go to the range and try a bunch. Just don't try a 1911 because that's all you'll want, they all cost like 1,200 bucks of more. :lol:

I never shot a Taurus but I'd imagine it would be pretty hard for them to **** up a revolver. I haven't heard good things about them though.

Yeah man. Lean into that mf :lol: that's really all it takes. After a while it's just habit and you don't have to think about it. I shoot like 2 cases of clays a month. I'd highly recommend it, a lot of fun and makes you a beast with a shotgun.

Shooting isn't something you can just be good at right away. Yeah you might be able to hit your target. But you won't be able rip off a ton of follow up shots on target until you figure out the recoil, that's just time behind a gun. Practice practice practice

Last edited:

My mom had a Bodyguard.. she loved it. It was one of their most popular guns they sold in their shop.

I didn't enjoy shooting it, but that's just me. My next gun will be a subcompact that I could possibly pocket, I'm most likely going with the Springfield XD-S 9mm
I personally don't like the Bodyguard either. my homie has one so I've spent a handful of range trips alternating to that firearm and I'm just not a fan of those lonnnnng triggers.

have you seen the updated Springfield XD Mod.2 subcompacts?

I'm going with this one myself:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/150282

thus far, I've owned only a Springfield XDm 9mm compact, which I love.
I've looked into those, definitely an option. I've just been a fan of Springfields so I see myself staying in that family.

You getting your ccw? Go to the range and try a bunch. Just don't try a 1911 because that's all you'll want, they all cost like 1,200 bucks of more. :lol:

I never shot a Taurus but I'd imagine it would be pretty hard for them to **** up a revolver. I haven't heard good things about them though.
I plan to. I just want a affordable one medium or small frame

Would you all by a used shotgun?

Yeah. I got my 870 for 200 bucks. Things are tanks and feel a whole lot better than a mossberg. Remington and benelli is what I'd roll with. Look for a used 870 or supernova. I prefer an 870 to supernova but both are dope.

My 870

Last edited:
If you've never shot either, I'd suggest going to a range and trying both out before you make a decison.

I disliked... that in order to shoot it you have to pull the trigger back extremely far.

best advice I can give is renting them both and trying them out before purchase.
Really good advice here. I agree about the long trigger pull being a dealbreaker for a lot of subcompacts.

Anyone thinking about buying a handgun should definitely compare how several different models feel in the hand. See how the grip fits your hand, manipulate the controls, dry fire (with permission from the shop owner), etc. Once you've picked your top 2 (or 3) based on that, rent (or borrow from a friend) those models to see how they actually shoot before buying.

How a gun looks and other people's opinions about it mean little compared to how the gun feels and functions in YOUR hand.

Would you all buy a used shotgun?

IMO, theres no reason NOT to buy a used shotgun. Most people that own shotguns (outside of sport shooters) shoot them very little. I bought a mossberg 500 used maybe 8 yrs ago and I've probably put less than 500 rounds through it. Most people buy a shotgun (especially one for home defense), shoot a couple of boxes of birdshot or buck through it, and put it away.

I prefer the mossberg over the rem mostly because theyre cheaper, they have an ambi friendly safety that's away from the trigger guard, and they're pretty damn easy to work on.

I'm looking at getting a pocket pistol and have narrowed my choices down to the Ruger LCP and the Bodyguard .380. Anyone have any experiences with the two? They're around the same price and I have heard mixed reviews about both.

No experience with either of those, but I have shot a buddy's lc9 (50-100 rds). I hate it, the trigger is long as hell, with no way I know of to shorten or lighten the trigger, plus the actual trigger position tore my finger up. It was reliable, with no real issues. It'd be ok for a pocket gun. Take a look at kahr's- CW or CM. Theyre around 325 or so, and have a good reputation.

Any reason why you want to go with a taurus, and a revolver? Taurus isn't a brand known for quality. I had a taurus .357 many moons ago, it shot ok, but within a few hundred rounds it was out of time and the cylander lockup was not so good. If it's for self protection, no reason not to get an autoloader. If it's for the range, and super cheap, then it's ok. I'd rather spend my money on a used smith and wesson model 10. You'll never lose money on a good smith wheel gun, and a used model 10 is a great gun to get started with. I think Bud's has police trade in's for around $320 or so; it's worth every penny.

What would be the best option sub 600 bucks, that isnt a shotgun? Looking for something with least kick/recoil. Im not into guns so more so want something to get the job done God forbid.

You can definitely find an AR for $600 or less. 2 ways to go about it. One, build your own lower (it really is simple and easy, and all you really need is simple tools like hammer/ball peen and punches. or 2. buy a lower and buy the upper separately. Hell, right now PSA has a complete AR for $550 with free shipping. they also have complete lowers for 170. You can always buy the lower now, and buy the upper later, or vice versa. No need to drop a lot of money at once.

I personally don't like the Bodyguard either. my homie has one so I've spent a handful of range trips alternating to that firearm and I'm just not a fan of those lonnnnng triggers.

have you seen the updated Springfield XD Mod.2 subcompacts?

I'm going with this one myself:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/150282

thus far, I've owned only a Springfield XDm 9mm compact, which I love.
Thanks for the info. I looked at the XDm and its def nice. I want to see the width of the gun compared to the LCP and bodyguard. I shot the LCP, glock 42 and P238 at the range yesterday. I can say the LCP and glock 42 are less forgiving in terms of proper shooting technique. That was my first time shooting a pocket pistol and I had a few jams because of my shooting technique (limp wrist). Side note: I shot my Gen 4 Glock 23 for the first time and it was a very smooth shooting pistol. The .40 round is known for being "snappy" but I didn't get that with the 23. Very smooth shooting pistol.

If you've never shot either, I'd suggest going to a range and trying both out before you make a decison.

I have zero experience with the Ruger, but have quite a bit with the Bodyguard, and, out of all of the handguns that I've shot, I disliked the Bodyguard the most, simply based on the fact that in order to shoot it you have to pull the trigger back extremely far.

It may not sound bad, or even be bad to you, but for me, I personally didn't enjoy it.

On the other hand, a longer trigger will have safety pro's..

best advice I can give is renting them both and trying them out before purchase.
Shot the Ruger at the range yesterday and the trigger was HORRIBLE. It was very long. First time experiencing a long trigger pull. Going back to the drawing board in terms of finding a pocket pistol I guess. Thanks for your insight.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the XDm and its def nice. I want to see the width of the gun compared to the LCP and bodyguard. I shot the LCP, glock 42 and P238 at the range yesterday. I can say the LCP and glock 42 are less forgiving in terms of proper shooting technique. That was my first time shooting a pocket pistol and I had a few jams because of my shooting technique (limp wrist). Side note: I shot my Gen 4 Glock 23 for the first time and it was a very smooth shooting pistol. The .40 round is known for being "snappy" but I didn't get that with the 23. Very smooth shooting pistol.

i have an XDm and love how it shoots. ive thought about getting rid of it because the grip is too long to conceal for me, but i cant because its such a nice gun that if id rather buy a second that is more compact than sell to replace.

Really good advice here. I agree about the long trigger pull being a dealbreaker for a lot of subcompacts.

Anyone thinking about buying a handgun should definitely compare how several different models feel in the hand. See how the grip fits your hand, manipulate the controls, dry fire (with permission from the shop owner), etc. Once you've picked your top 2 (or 3) based on that, rent (or borrow from a friend) those models to see how they actually shoot before buying.

How a gun looks and other people's opinions about it mean little compared to how the gun feels and functions in YOUR hand.

thanks man, and I absolutely agree.

no problem. Glad you were able to check a few firearms out.

Shot the Ruger at the range yesterday and the trigger was HORRIBLE. It was very long. First time experiencing a long trigger pull. Going back to the drawing board in terms of finding a pocket pistol I guess. Thanks for your insight.

yeah that long trigger pull is brutal. lol

research is your best bet. get acclimated and you will find exactly what you are looking for.

I don't like rugers at all. Everyone I've shot has jammed on me. No joke, plus they just aren't comfortable.

I don't like rugers at all. Everyone I've shot has jammed on me. No joke, plus they just aren't comfortable.
sr series has good ergos

the ruger pocket guns have that awful trigger for safety. your not shooting that thing at anything beyond s few feet. more important you dont blow your nuts off drawing it. you can get them tweaked though

Yeah I shot a sr9. Shot nice. Jammed every 3 shots. That's what I got my ccw with. :lol: borrowed it from someone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom