NYPD shoot a knife wielding man 9 times near Times Square New York

Shots fired at :19

Last edited:
I was in the city yesterday and could not understand why there was such a big police presence and why they were taping everything off. The whole park ave was taped off. And this all started with him smoking some weed? 
mean.gif

Damn. 9 is a bit much. But you can't really tell what was happening though. Just going to have to wait and see.

Supposedly it started because the guy was smoking weed, then when the cops approached he pulled out a kitchen knife and they tried pepper spraying him and it had no effect.

Dude deserved what he got.

Police shot and killed a Long Island man who was wielding a knife near Times Square Saturday afternoon.

Darrius Kennedy, 51, of Hempstead, N.Y., according to police, was the man involved in the incident, which took place around 3 p.m. in the vicinity of West 44th Street and Seventh Avenue.

According to police, officers approached a man who appeared to be smoking a marijuana cigarette and began questioning him. When the officers moved to arrest him, he became agitated and pulled out a knife that authorities say was nearly a foot long.

Police say that officers repeatedly ordered him to drop the knife as he backed down Seventh Avenue, and used pepper spray on him six times to try to disarm him, but he refused to drop the weapon.

Authorities say the man then lunged at the officers, at which point officers shot him in the torso. It is uncertain how many shots were fired.

Link

11 inch knife and he lunges at the police? The hell u expect them to do? Use of force...justified.

Nothing was excessive in this situation. The use of lethal force was justified. If a tourist was attacked by this man, the NYPD would never hear the end of it.

Nothing was excessive in this situation. The use of lethal force was justified. If a tourist was attacked by this man, the NYPD would never hear the end of it.

EXACTLY. This was in Times Square. There are enough nut-jobs around there as it is...but dude was wielding a knife in close proximity to thousands of tourists.

More:

The knife-wielding nutjob who paralyzed Times Square before he was shot dead by cops had a lengthy rap sheet including a Midtown bust for threatening cops with a screwdriver, sources said.

A pair of veteran patrol cops squeezed off 12 shots at the pot-fueled madman as he lunged within two to three feet of them brandishing an 11-inch IKEA kitchen carving knife, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said today.

Kennedy, who had no known address but was believed flopping somewhere in Washington Heights, had 11 priors, including busts for pot possession and robbery.

In November 2008, he was arrested after he was found standing in the middle of Broadway at 66th Street yelling at passing cars.

When cops approached, he threatened them with a screwdriver and screamed “I’m going to f- -k you up!” and was charged with criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment.

Link

they should have just shot the knife instead of shooting him

Great idea.

I'll piggy-back off of it because it was so amazing.

I think the next time the police get in a situation with a person armed w. a gun, they should aim for the trigger finger so they can't shoot.

Do you know how small of a target that is even aiming for his hand? 

That is just asking for bystanders to get hit. 

All I want to know is why tasers weren't used. 

Other than that, good job. 

Last edited:

Not sure if srs or trolling. They dont have time to put up sharpshooters (if that's what you're thinking) and if you are, then you have watched way too many police movies and or world's wildest videos. They did their job and he was asking to be shot. Now awaiting anti-police responses.

From the NYP article I posted:

None of the more than 20 cops who pursued Kennedy down Seventh Avenue from where he was spotted smoking a joint were armed with tasers, he said.

From the NYP article I posted:
None of the more than 20 cops who pursued Kennedy down Seventh Avenue from where he was spotted smoking a joint were armed with tasers, he said.
Now this, I don't believe.

They're not even TRYING to equip officers with less-lethal weapons. 

Now this, I don't believe.

They're not even TRYING to equip officers with less-lethal weapons. 
Tellingly, the NYPD doesn't even allow regular beat cops to carry Tasers, reserving those for sergeants and specially trained Emergency Service Unit officers.
Link
Thats even MORE ridiculous.

Beat cops don't carry tasers? You mean the cops who are most directly in touch with citizens? 

It's not warranted because there shouldn't be anything wrong with smoking marijuana on the side of the street. I thought NT was pro- :smokin

Back
Top Bottom