Obama has officially lost it

First Massachusetts, and now this garbage:

[h1]Obama hammers Wall Street banks[/h1]
By Tom Braithwaite in Washington and Francesco Guerrera in New York

Published: January 21 2010 16:42 | Last updated: January 21 2010 21:50

The global banking industry was thrown into turmoil on Thursday after President Barack Obama moved to channel public rage over the financial crisis into the most far-reaching overhaul of Wall Street since the 1930s.

In reforms that could force the restructuring of some of the biggest names in US banking - including JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs - Mr Obama promised that "never again will the American taxpayer be held hostage by a bank that is too big to fail".

Flanked by his top economic advisers at the White House, Mr Obama called for banks to be banned from trading on their own account and "owning, investing in or sponsoring" hedge funds and private equity groups.

The measures hark back to the response to the 1929 stock market crash, which prompted the US government to separate investment and commercial banking under the Glass-Steagall Act, which remained in law until 1999.

The shares of the big Wall Street banks fell as Mr Obama announced the proposals, although those of regional American banks rose. It was unclear how far foreign banks operating in the US would be affected by the proposed changes.

Under the Obama plan, new rules - beyond current regulations restricting banks from holding no more than 10 per cent of US deposits - would prevent banks that raise money in the markets from growing so big as to pose a systemic risk.

"In recent years, too many financial firms have put taxpayer money at risk by operating hedge funds and private equity funds and making riskier investments to reap a quick reward," said Mr Obama. "And these firms have taken these risks while benefiting from special financial privileges that are reserved only for banks."
The White House was accused of adopting a populist message to divert attention from the blow delivered by the Democrats' defeat in the Senate race in Massachusetts. But Mr Obama underlined his determination to see change, saying "it is a fight I am willing to have".
Republicans responded coolly but did not reject the proposals. Judd Gregg, a Republican on the Senate banking committee, told the Financial Times he was "willing to look at the issue".

"I'm a little concerned that this, however, is less about financial reform and more about the politics of the day and an attempt to get a populist message going and use the banks as a whipping boy which I don't think is constructive," he said.

Officials said they had been working on the plans for weeks. But they go much further than the original proposal presented by the Treasury in June.

Mr Obama said he was adopting the ideas of Paul Volcker, White House adviser and former Federal Reserve chairman, who has been advocating a big regulatory overhaul in "the spirit of Glass-Steagall" for months.

Banks declined to comment but executives privately suggested that the plans could usher in structural change and even prompt Goldman and Morgan Stanley to give up their bank holding company status gained in the crisis.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0...f-b426-00144feabdc0.html

What is considered "prop trading". Him and Volcker have lost it.

tired.gif
tired.gif

I want to hear your guy's thoughts.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

The global banking industry was thrown into turmoil on Thursday after President Barack Obama moved to channel public rage over the financial crisis into the most far-reaching overhaul of Wall Street since the 1930s.

In reforms that could force the restructuring of some of the biggest names in US banking - including JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs - Mr Obama promised that "never again will the American taxpayer be held hostage by a bank that is too big to fail".

Flanked by his top economic advisers at the White House, Mr Obama called for banks to be banned from trading on their own account and "owning, investing in or sponsoring" hedge funds and private equity groups.

The measures hark back to the response to the 1929 stock market crash, which prompted the US government to separate investment and commercial banking under the Glass-Steagall Act, which remained in law until 1999.

The shares of the big Wall Street banks fell as Mr Obama announced the proposals, although those of regional American banks rose. It was unclear how far foreign banks operating in the US would be affected by the proposed changes.

Under the Obama plan, new rules - beyond current regulations restricting banks from holding no more than 10 per cent of US deposits - would prevent banks that raise money in the markets from growing so big as to pose a systemic risk.

"In recent years, too many financial firms have put taxpayer money at risk by operating hedge funds and private equity funds and making riskier investments to reap a quick reward," said Mr Obama. "And these firms have taken these risks while benefiting from special financial privileges that are reserved only for banks."

eek.gif

Holy crap. This dude seriously lost it. I thought he was crazy when he said he wanted the banks, even those that didn't take any money from thegovt, to all make payments to the govt because the govt loaned some banks money.

Now this is insane!!! Dude would signlehandedly RUIN the economy in NYC.

Thank GOD this dude can't get anything done. Otherwise, I'd be nervous.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Originally Posted by reigndrop

eek.gif

Holy crap. This dude seriously lost it. I thought he was crazy when he said he wanted the banks, even those that didn't take any money from the govt, to all make payments to the govt because the govt loaned some banks money.

Now this is insane!!! Dude would signlehandedly RUIN the economy in NYC.

Thank GOD this dude can't get anything done. Otherwise, I'd be nervous.

hope and change, hope and change

This is effin ridiculous.

" Mr Obama promised that "never again will the American taxpayer be held hostage by a bank that is too big to fail"."

How about you LET THEM FAIL and let the chips fall where they may. The short and medium range effects obviously would be borderline devastating, but in thelong run wouldn't this solve the problem by weeding out those companies who are unfit to exist? (Capitalism anyone?)

^ Might as well post random stuff in here. It's obvious the people who commented so far don't know the difference between banks, private equity funds,and hedge funds.

You all do know that large banks manipulate stock prices everyday right?

You all do know that high speculation and low disregard to risk is what not only brought on this recession but also contributed to inflated bubbles in the notso distant past?

You all do know that if nothing is done now, economic disasters are going to keep happening.

To me he looks like he has a plan for the future that does not include greedy investment bankers, speculators, and CEO's getting richer on the strength ofthe average American taxpayer

Those that don't like are clearly profiting off of what's goin on now. Mainly the well off

I've never been a fan of Volker.

And if the ways lobbying don't change, then passing of regulation will always sound more detrimental than the actual legislature.

Wall St. has a memory shorter than your grandparents with Alzheimer's.

"In recent years, too many financial firms have put taxpayer money at risk by operating hedge funds and private equity funds and making riskier investments to reap a quick reward,"
Can someone besides the typical NTers that hate on anything Obama explain how this is a bad thing? I applaud this tough regulation. I thinkit's about damn time!

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

"In recent years, too many financial firms have put taxpayer money at risk by operating hedge funds and private equity funds and making riskier investments to reap a quick reward,"

Can someone besides the typical NTers that hate on anything Obama explain how this is a bad thing? I applaud this tough regulation. I think it's about damn time!

+ This

And these firms have taken these risks while benefiting from special financial privileges that are reserved only for banks."

so i dont plan to be an expert on this matter or anything close to it, but this is basically what I'm getting out if this.

- SOME idiot financial institutions acted negligently by taking on too many risky ventures in an effort to make that $$$$
- THOSE SAME financial institutions made money hand over fist when the going was good
- the bottom dropped out when all those risks turned out for the worse which crippled some of these idiot financial institutions
- Govt decided that some of these idiot financial institutions were "too big to fail"
- These idiot financial institutions were given bailouts to keep them afloat... at the taxpayers expense
- Many of these idiot financial institutions are still around today... thanks govt bailout!

so basically, it behooves these idiot financial institutions to continue to act in this manner. Why not right? By doing so they realize larger than averageprofits when the going is good. When the going is bad, the gov't is going to bail them out anyways.

I know how we can solve this! We can penalize EVERYONE in the financial sector, not just the idiots who needed to be bailed out, but also theefficienty/productively run financial institutions that managed their risk correctly and weren't in dire need of a gov't bailout to stay alive.

If anything, wouldn't this just influence everyone to operate fast and loose and make theirs while they can since they dont have to worry about going outof business (since the govt wont let them).

I don't see how this is bad. We are in this economic downfall because of banks in the first place and people are complaining because we are setting someground rules? Excuse my ignorance then

As a supporter, his term has been a let down so far but there are three years left so things can get better. I wish he'd stop continuing our warsoverseas.

Back
Top Bottom