**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

[size=+1]
[size=+1]
The Works Season Previews: New York Knicks
[/size]

When Mike D'Antoni took over as coach of the Knicks, we all expected stuff. Not necessarily profound, eventful, or positive stuff, but at least ... stuff. 

So far, we haven't gotten much of it. However, with the 2010-11 plan having gone from "take over the world with awesome free agents" to "sign Amar'e Stoudemire and some other weird people," it's time for D'Antoni to earn his keep. Or at least do enough to keep Garden fans happy and the New York media off his back. 

How is the reigning weirdo of NBA coaching going to pull that off? Duh, by listening to us and assembling line-ups so unusual and unholy that they defile the sport and send good sons and daughters to the hills screaming. These are a few of these line-ups. 

No. 1: Real Talk
Raymond FeltonWilson ChandlerDanilo Gallinari, Amar'e Stoudemire, Ronny Turiaf

'Antoni started this line-up against Milan on Sunday, going rather mainstream in terms of postionality and sacrificing three-point shooting for size. Can it actually be the regular starting line-up when the games count? That depends on Stoudemire's defensive effort and Gallinari's rebounding, most likely; last year, Gallo spent all of his minutes at the two forward spots, but rebounded like a two-guard. If that continues, given Stoudemire's typical average-for-a-PF ways on the glass, D'Antoni might need Turiaf or another center (see No. 2) in the game.

The sad thing about the normalcy of the line-up is that it's kind of boring. Gallo and Amar'e provide the points, Turiaf and Chandler the defense (theoretically), Felton the ZZZZZZZZ. The only hope is in D'Antoni also realizing normalcy takes what's special about this Knicks roster completely away.

No. 2: Gravity's Rainbows
Felton, Kelenna Azubuike, Gallinari, Stoudemire, Timofey Mozgov

This is more like it! Azubuike is one of the most aggro players in the league, and Mozgov is either the Russian 
Channing Frye or Frederic Weis in an inordinately complex disguise. Actually, Mozgov plays a bit like Troy Murphy, and while that's not the right stylistic match for Stoudemire with winning as a goal, it fits D'Antoni's M.O. better.

Not that D'Antoni has always forsaken defense; he played 
Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell big playoff minutes, and always gave Shawn Marion copious amounts of credit. (Copious was never enough, sadly.) But in Phoenix, D'Antoni had the luxury of Steve Nash, who could make kitty litter look like C-4. Felton can't do it, and Stoudemire's excellence doesn't rub off. So more firepower could be needed to get New York's offense where D'Antoni needs it to be to compete any given night. Mozgov should be enough of an offensive upgrade over Turiaf to make this line-up make logical sense.

If not, it'll look enough like the 2004 
Mavericks to be funny.

No. 3: Beyond Q-Rich
Felton, Andy Rautins, Azubuike, Chandler, Gallinari

Everybody knows D'Antoni loves the longball. His most three-crazy squad, the 2005-06 
Suns, fielded four guys who hit reliably from the land of love and money, and Boris Diaw -- who passed for a center that season -- was used primarily as a passer who got the ball back in circulation. It was a hailstorm of threes, more threes than most men see in a lifetime, but it was also a highly rational system that flowed like a viscous blot of machinery.

Phooey to that. This time around, it's all shooters, all the time, premised on the belief that all rebounds are long, and gunslingers never die. It's nothing if not Quentin Richardson, circa 2004-05, reborn as an entire team. No regard for human life, no remorse, no conscience, and trusting only in their own strokes. This isn't about late-game heroics, or manufacturing the perfect opportunity for one more point. It's what you use when you need a 10-point run in a hurry, against a team too complacent to realize what hit them.

No. 4: Satan's Army
Toney Douglas, Bill Walker, Shawne Williams, Randolph, Stoudemire

Some coaches spend their entire careers trying to ward off entropy. Others, like that rascal Don Nelson, find ways to harness it and use it to their tactical advantage. Since touching down in Phoenix those five long years ago, D'Antoni has experimented with varying degrees of chaos and mayhem, with the aim of forcing his opponents into even more difficult spots. It's like a vaccine in reverse. 

Call it cheating death, or playing footsy with hell. There has always been a limit to how much D'Antoni would barter with the dark side -- in part because these are more maneuvers than anyone gives Mike D. credit for, but also because there's always the risk of going too far. As you should know well from analogies wrought in this language, once you go there, you might not ever come back. Except for the Knicks (and, by extension, the whole NBA, and the entire universe), this season is different from all other seasons, this line-up a beast that breaks free from the shackles of metaphor. In other words, this is "eff it, we're going in" approach that no team has yet tried on purpose, Slim Pickens riding down the bomb to guide it into the end of the world. 

It's a calculated risk, to say the least. Unleash this kind of nightmare on some quiet evening and the game may never recover. Nor might the sport. However, in the darkest hour, with no light to guide to him, D'Antoni may well turn to this ultra-athletic, extremely volatile, deadly in all senses outlaw brigade. What's the worst that can happen, if the Knicks can't get anything remotely good and pure underway? As they say around the league, Shawne happens for a reason.

No. 5: Circles in the Sand
Felton, Douglas, Roger Mason, Jr., Gallinari, Randolph

There's passing to prove a point, passing to trick the other guy, and passing to get in rhythm. And there's this. D'Antoni may not have five Nashes to work with, but a line-up whose primary directive is to move the ball is quite the Trojan Horse. Here's that strange hole in time and space where the fast break meets pre-shot clock stalling, as a line-up with more than adequate ability to keep the ball jumping back and forth does so 'til it drives the other team absolutely insane. That is the only option, the only possible outcome, that matters. That or a shot clock violation that ends the experiment. For now.

[/size]

This actually got me mad hyped for the season. 
pimp.gif

man, every season you guys say "I'm hyped for this coming season"

then it turns out to be
alien.gif

lets hope this season is actually different lol

we have things to be hyped about this time. donnie threw all the trash out except fat boy. At least we have players worth rooting for and an all NBA player on the team. besides i wasn't hyped the last 2 years because i knew what we were planning.

we can definitely crash and burn though.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

[size=+1]
[size=+1]
The Works Season Previews: New York Knicks
[/size]

When Mike D'Antoni took over as coach of the Knicks, we all expected stuff. Not necessarily profound, eventful, or positive stuff, but at least ... stuff. 

So far, we haven't gotten much of it. However, with the 2010-11 plan having gone from "take over the world with awesome free agents" to "sign Amar'e Stoudemire and some other weird people," it's time for D'Antoni to earn his keep. Or at least do enough to keep Garden fans happy and the New York media off his back. 

How is the reigning weirdo of NBA coaching going to pull that off? Duh, by listening to us and assembling line-ups so unusual and unholy that they defile the sport and send good sons and daughters to the hills screaming. These are a few of these line-ups. 

No. 1: Real Talk
Raymond FeltonWilson ChandlerDanilo Gallinari, Amar'e Stoudemire, Ronny Turiaf

grin.gif
'Antoni started this line-up against Milan on Sunday, going rather mainstream in terms of postionality and sacrificing three-point shooting for size. Can it actually be the regular starting line-up when the games count? That depends on Stoudemire's defensive effort and Gallinari's rebounding, most likely; last year, Gallo spent all of his minutes at the two forward spots, but rebounded like a two-guard. If that continues, given Stoudemire's typical average-for-a-PF ways on the glass, D'Antoni might need Turiaf or another center (see No. 2) in the game.

The sad thing about the normalcy of the line-up is that it's kind of boring. Gallo and Amar'e provide the points, Turiaf and Chandler the defense (theoretically), Felton the ZZZZZZZZ. The only hope is in D'Antoni also realizing normalcy takes what's special about this Knicks roster completely away.

No. 2: Gravity's Rainbows
Felton, Kelenna Azubuike, Gallinari, Stoudemire, Timofey Mozgov

This is more like it! Azubuike is one of the most aggro players in the league, and Mozgov is either the Russian 
Channing Frye or Frederic Weis in an inordinately complex disguise. Actually, Mozgov plays a bit like Troy Murphy, and while that's not the right stylistic match for Stoudemire with winning as a goal, it fits D'Antoni's M.O. better.

Not that D'Antoni has always forsaken defense; he played 
Kurt Thomas and Raja Bell big playoff minutes, and always gave Shawn Marion copious amounts of credit. (Copious was never enough, sadly.) But in Phoenix, D'Antoni had the luxury of Steve Nash, who could make kitty litter look like C-4. Felton can't do it, and Stoudemire's excellence doesn't rub off. So more firepower could be needed to get New York's offense where D'Antoni needs it to be to compete any given night. Mozgov should be enough of an offensive upgrade over Turiaf to make this line-up make logical sense.

If not, it'll look enough like the 2004 
Mavericks to be funny.

No. 3: Beyond Q-Rich
Felton, Andy Rautins, Azubuike, Chandler, Gallinari

Everybody knows D'Antoni loves the longball. His most three-crazy squad, the 2005-06 
Suns, fielded four guys who hit reliably from the land of love and money, and Boris Diaw -- who passed for a center that season -- was used primarily as a passer who got the ball back in circulation. It was a hailstorm of threes, more threes than most men see in a lifetime, but it was also a highly rational system that flowed like a viscous blot of machinery.

Phooey to that. This time around, it's all shooters, all the time, premised on the belief that all rebounds are long, and gunslingers never die. It's nothing if not Quentin Richardson, circa 2004-05, reborn as an entire team. No regard for human life, no remorse, no conscience, and trusting only in their own strokes. This isn't about late-game heroics, or manufacturing the perfect opportunity for one more point. It's what you use when you need a 10-point run in a hurry, against a team too complacent to realize what hit them.

No. 4: Satan's Army
Toney Douglas, Bill Walker, Shawne Williams, Randolph, Stoudemire

Some coaches spend their entire careers trying to ward off entropy. Others, like that rascal Don Nelson, find ways to harness it and use it to their tactical advantage. Since touching down in Phoenix those five long years ago, D'Antoni has experimented with varying degrees of chaos and mayhem, with the aim of forcing his opponents into even more difficult spots. It's like a vaccine in reverse. 

Call it cheating death, or playing footsy with hell. There has always been a limit to how much D'Antoni would barter with the dark side -- in part because these are more maneuvers than anyone gives Mike D. credit for, but also because there's always the risk of going too far. As you should know well from analogies wrought in this language, once you go there, you might not ever come back. Except for the Knicks (and, by extension, the whole NBA, and the entire universe), this season is different from all other seasons, this line-up a beast that breaks free from the shackles of metaphor. In other words, this is "eff it, we're going in" approach that no team has yet tried on purpose, Slim Pickens riding down the bomb to guide it into the end of the world. 

It's a calculated risk, to say the least. Unleash this kind of nightmare on some quiet evening and the game may never recover. Nor might the sport. However, in the darkest hour, with no light to guide to him, D'Antoni may well turn to this ultra-athletic, extremely volatile, deadly in all senses outlaw brigade. What's the worst that can happen, if the Knicks can't get anything remotely good and pure underway? As they say around the league, Shawne happens for a reason.

No. 5: Circles in the Sand
Felton, Douglas, Roger Mason, Jr., Gallinari, Randolph

There's passing to prove a point, passing to trick the other guy, and passing to get in rhythm. And there's this. D'Antoni may not have five Nashes to work with, but a line-up whose primary directive is to move the ball is quite the Trojan Horse. Here's that strange hole in time and space where the fast break meets pre-shot clock stalling, as a line-up with more than adequate ability to keep the ball jumping back and forth does so 'til it drives the other team absolutely insane. That is the only option, the only possible outcome, that matters. That or a shot clock violation that ends the experiment. For now.

[/size]
This actually got me mad hyped for the season. 
pimp.gif

what a stupid +@@ article
laugh.gif

The lineups pretty much make actually no logical sense whatsoever. And no mention of the electrifying Felton, Will, Gallo, Amar'e, AR that i want to see... or same thing with Mozgov at center and put AR in place of Chandler and kill em with size/athleticism
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Originally Posted by viiheaven

By the way, I have a ticket for the home opener if anyone is looking to go. Only drawback, you have to sit next to me and pay the retail price for the ticket. It's section 318 if anyone cares.
Didnt you pay over 100$ for that ticket?

30t6p3b.gif
 at the prices of tickets this year.

Still tryen to get in the building for the lakers and heat for under 100$, idc where im sitting.

This is gonna be our year though
pimp.gif
Yeah I did, but just a bit over $100. If there's one game I definitely go to every year, I make sure it's the home opener. It's probably the last time in the season we'll be .500
laugh.gif

It probably isn't the smartest idea to endear yourself to any new readers who might be unfamiliar with your work by showing a picture of a completely nude Amar'e Stoudemire(notes) jumping into a pool, but, eh ... here's a picture of Amar'e Stoudemire jumping into a pool.

It's from the latest ESPN the Magazine, their second annual "Body Parts" issue, and I know this because I just tossed out the first annual edition over the weekend. This has less to do with the phenomenal photographic work inside than it does the fact that the wicker magazine holder in my bathroom is very, very messy.

I'll let you discuss Stoudemire's sculpted tone and the other more, um, alarming aspects of the shot in the comments section.

Photo: Amar'e Stoudemire poses nude for ESPN - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

anybody wanna help me ? how do i get my avatar to show up this new yuku is even trasher than before
30t6p3b.gif

i clicked on your profile it says you updated your avatar and i see too. mmm

maybe you just gotta wait a few

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

anybody wanna help me ? how do i get my avatar to show up this new yuku is even trasher than before
30t6p3b.gif

just clear your cache from your browser or wait a few hours

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

if gift makes those avy's

nychiphophipp and spectacular gon have the same avy's lol 
idk if its crazier that u noticed that or that he requested it right after mine

spectacular change that request up! mine was submitted first!
laugh.gif

edit: and gallos PEs are hot, when they zoomed into them during the knicks/milan game i was like
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by h3at23

Originally Posted by Executive76

^NY endorsement $$$ 

endorse this

Spoiler [+]

WTFFF! Amare

Im a Knick fan but I'll be lying if i said I'm not gonna watch this Heats game @ 730

i just saw a giant inflatable pig float by clyde's jersey in the rafters.

don't care about stat's pic. he's free to do whatever makes him happy

Back
Top Bottom