OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Damn Matty, the hell happened
sick.gif

They blew this game,
smh.gif

Furthermore, hate to jump on this wagon, but the ball Blake hit was fair and it would have been 2 runs.

frown.gif

Son of a %$%+%.

This sucks.

Great effort though by the Dodgers, I feel your pain Kemp.

I don't get why they were so deep for Scott Podsednik who was 0-13 going into today's game
sick.gif

going to the game tomorrow to see griffey
pimp.gif

and what are the rumors of the dodgers interested in washburn? for who?

I'm headed to tomorrows game, want to be out there tonight though. Been a fan of Vargas since me and my bro would see him,shaggy jr, and Tulowitzki atBlair.

Let's see the uproar this causes...
[h3]Mannywood to return to Dodger Stadium[/h3]Left field promotion to resume when Ramirez's suspension ends

By Bobbie Dittmeier / MLB.com

06/26/09 8:19 AM ET

The Mannywood promotion in a section of the left field seats at Dodger Stadium will be back when Manny Ramirez returns from his 50-game suspension, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday.

The Dodgers, who in late April named two sections of Field Level seats near the left field foul pole "Mannywood" and sold its seats in pairs, along with a Mannywood T-shirt, for $99, withdrew the promotion after Ramirez's May 7 suspension for violating baseball's drug policy.

Mannywood will return on July 16, when the Dodgers are scheduled to play their first home game after Ramirez's return.

"We decided to reopen Mannywood directly based on our fans' interest," Dodgers president and chief operating officer Dennis Mannion told the Times.

Barring rainouts, Ramirez will be eligible to rejoin the Dodgers on July 3, when the Dodgers play at San Diego to begin a nine-game road trip leading into the All-Star break. They are scheduled to open a 10-game homestand following the break with a four-game series against the Astros.

Ramirez has played in two games for the Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes, going 0-for-3 with a walk, in preparation for his return.

Bobbie Dittmeier is an editor/producer for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[h3]Dodgers sign top draft pick Miller[/h3]36th overall selection expected to report to Class A Great Lakes
LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers and top Draft pick Aaron Miller of Baylor University reached a tentative agreement on a signing bonus of just under $900,000 Thursday.

The club had no comment, as Miller must first pass a physical exam.

Miller, a two-way player taken as a left-handed pitcher with the 36th overall pick, reportedly agreed for $899,200, compared to the $988,000 bonus paid for the 36th pick a year ago.

Miller is a raw talent with only two years of serious pitching experience, having played the outfield his freshman year at Baylor. He was drafted as a hitter by Colorado out of high school, but did not sign.

Miller, 21, is expected to report to the club's Class A Great Lakes affiliate in the Midwest League. He was taken with the compensation pick the Dodgers received for losing free agent Derek Lowe.

[h3]Dodgers fireworks will honor Jackson[/h3]Event after Friday's game will pay tribute to his music MLB.com

06/25/09 9:08 PM ET

The Dodgers' Friday Night Fireworks show after the game against the Seattle Mariners will pay tribute to the music of Michael Jackson.

Jackson, the "King of Pop" and Hollywood icon, died Thursday afternoon. Jackson, who went from being a child superstar to one of the entertainment world's most influential singers and dancers, was 50.

The circumstances of his death were not immediately clear

[h3]Mientkiewicz working on speedy rehab[/h3]Los Angeles (47-26) vs. Seattle (37-35), 7:10 p.m. PT
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/25/09 8:19 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The regulars will be back in the starting lineup Friday night when the Dodgers take on the Mariners, but Thursday was clear-the-bench day in Chicago.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
Regulars Rafael Furcal, Andre Ethier and James Loney didn't start, catcher Russell Martin was the designated hitter and reserves got rare opportunities to play.

It was the kind of game Doug Mientkiewicz would have expected to start, if he hadn't blown out his shoulder April 16 on an unnecessary dive into second base at the end of a double. The resulting surgical repair work was likely to shelve Mientkiewicz for the rest of the season, or at least until September, when the Dodgers were hoping they might get his bat back when rosters expand, but not his arm.

Of course, Mientkiewicz had a different timetable in mind, and he's ahead of even that one as he rehabs like the madman that he is.

He's been swinging off a tee and anticipates graduating to soft toss next week. But he's convinced he'll be throwing a baseball soon, having already incorporated a throwing motion into his exercises for greater range of motion with generally positive results.

"I'm taking swings I didn't think I'd be taking for another six weeks," said Mientkiewicz. "Everybody is scared to think about it, it's going so well. This is something pitchers get, not position players, so there really isn't a set timetable. But I'm working five or six hours a day with Stan [Conte, trainer]. To be with me that long a time and not need mental counseling, that's a positive."

Mientkiewicz tore his labrum and chipped a bone on the awkward landing, requiring a reattachment of the bone and anchoring of the labrum. He said it aches when he sleeps and is grumpy in the mornings, but the throwing motion exercises seem to be working.

"One thing this injury did," he said, "was make me understand that I still want to play. I'd like to play a full year for Joe Torre without going on the disabled list."

Although the Dodgers bullpen pitched 6 2/3 innings Thursday after pitching 4 1/3 innings Wednesday night, Torre said it should be in decent shape for Friday night's opener with the Mariners. Only Jeff Weaver should be unavailable with Ramon Troncoso probably limited to one inning.

Pitching matchup
LAD: LHP Clayton Kershaw (4-5, 3.76 ERA)
Kershaw seems to have found a rhythm in his last two starts, in which he has thrown 12 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings, including seven shutout innings against the Angels Sunday. He had to overcome a bases-loaded, no-out jam and four walks, but he's also showing the potential dominance that very few 21-year-olds possess. Angels center fielder Torii Hunter called Kershaw "effectively wild."

SEA: LHP Jason Vargas (3-2, 3.24 ERA)
The left-hander ended a two-game losing streak with a bang, retiring 20 of the final 21 batters he faced against the D-backs. He was supposed to get an extra day between starts, but when a shoulder ailment sidelined fellow lefty Erik Bedard, Vargas pitched on his regular fifth day and was superb against Arizona. He used his changeup more often, which made his high-80s fastball more effective, and had excellent control, working a walk-free seven innings.

Tidbits
Second baseman Orlando Hudson has seven RBIs in his past eight games. ... Third baseman Casey Blake had two stolen bases on Thursday for the first time in a game since 2004. They were his first two steals of the season. He's also reached base safely in 15 consecutive games. ... Juan Castro is batting .340 in 15 starts. He had a single and scored a run on Thursday.

[table][tr][td] [h2]Dodgers Get a Good Look at Elbert
premium.gif
[/h2] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
691691.jpg

Scott Elbert ... one-hitter
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
By Tot Holmes
Pubisher
Date: Jun 26, 2009

Another huge crowd showed up in Albuquerque to watch Manny Ramirez but the rain and slipper conditions kept him off the field. However Scott Elbert limited Nashville to a single hit, winning 4-0 in six innings. Chattanooga was bombed 12-1 by Huntsville, Inland Empire lost 5-3 to Lake Elsinore and Great Lakes were blanked 4-0 by West Michigan.
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

[h2]http://www.truebluela.com/2009/6/26/926310/will-rafael-furcal-ever-steal[/h2]
[h2]Will Rafael Furcal Ever Steal Bases Again?[/h2]
IMG_0108_tiny.jpg
by Eric Stephen on Jun 26, 2009 10:49 AM PDT in News
comment.v1599.png
2 comments

More photos » by Gus Ruelas - AP

Browse more photos »

Back in 1999, a 21-year old (he was reported to be 20 years old at the time) shortstop playing for Class A in the Atlanta Braves system stole 96 bases, to go along with his .392 on-base percentage, and burst onto the baseball scene. By 2000, he was a regular with the Braves, bringing his speed and a cannon arm to the big leagues. Rafael Furcal stole 40 bases that season, and would never steal fewer than 25 bases in a full season with the Braves.

Furcal was Ned Colletti's first player acquisition, when he signed a three-year deal with the Dodgers in December 2005. Furcal was probably the Dodgers' MVP in 2006, batting .300/.369/.445 with 37 steals. Even in fighting through an injury in 2007, Furcal stole 25 bases.

Through his first eight seasons, Furcal averaged 31 steals per year, with a 77.7% success rate. Last year, as Furcal was tearing up the National League before his back injury. Through 32 games, Furcal stole 8 more bases, on pace for 40 over a full season. However, since coming back from his back injury, Furcal simply has stopped running. I suppose it could be argued that Furcal hasn't stolen bases because he hasn't been on base (.315 OBP since coming back last September), but I don't think that's the case.

This season, Furcal has four steals in 65 games. The same as Andre Ethier. Fewer than James Loney, Russell Martin, and Orlando Hudson. Furcal has been caught four times too, so his success rate is the worst among all Dodger regulars. Even Casey Blake (two for three) has been better in this regard!

I understand the stolen base attempt isn't always the wisest choice, given how precious outs are, but I find them aesthetically pleasing. The stolen base is a huge part of Furcal's game, and as of now it is essentially absent. I miss the old Furcal (or, perhaps I miss the "young" Furcal). If asked to choose the priority of Furcal improvements, I would choose for Raffy to start hitting better, but the wheels have been missed too.

Maybe if we notice an increase in Furcal stolen bases, it is a sign of returned health and could lead to a turnaround at the plate. Maybe its a chicken/egg thing, but either way, I'm ready for Furcal to be a speed demon once again.

Raffy is so ghost
laugh.gif

Tonight's lineup

Pierre, LF

Furcal, SS

Hudson, 2B

Blake, 3B

Loney, 1B

Martin, C

Ethier, RF

Kemp, CF

Kershaw, P

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...eal-manny-ramirez-questions-are-answered.html[/h1]
[h1]Ted Green: The real Manny Ramirez questions are answered[/h1]
2:41 PM, June 26, 2009

Now that they've gone Albucuckoo in Albuquerque, treating Manny Ramirez's aptly named "rehab" assignment like the biggest thing to happen in New Mexico since aliens landed in Roswell, here are the answers to all the important Manny questions you may be asking.

This, of course, is in connection with all the fuss being made over a charismatic drug cheat with cool dreads who has shown zero remorse to his baseball public after getting busted for performance enhancers.

Ethically speaking, should the Dodgers be profiting from three rare sellouts at their triple-A affiliate as well as Manny souvenir sales in New Mexico?

No, this is called blood money. Or dirty, sexy money. In a sport already bereft of real integrity, every penny the team makes should go into drug-prevention and -awareness programs.

How much money is Manny losing during this 50-game suspension?

Not enough, but the actual answer down to the penny, based on his 2009 salary of $23,854,494, is $7,347,184 and 15 cents.

All Manny has really said so far in response to questions about steroid use is that he "didn't rape or murder no one" along with, "I ain't talkin' about this anymore." Any more?

How could he talk about it any LESS? So, what should Manny be saying? How about:

I'm genuinely sorry for letting everyone down. I want kids who like me and follow the Dodgers and baseball to know that taking drugs of any kind can have dramatically dangerous health consequences. I would also like to apologize sincerely to the players and fans, my teammates and coaches, and also to the Dodgers and Major League Baseball. I'm sorry, man, I messed up real bad.
http://
On July 3, what happens to Juan Pierre, who's played such great baseball while taking Manny's place?

He goes back to the bench, giving the Dodgers probably the best fourth outfielder in the big leagues. If Joe Torre is creative, and he is, he'll give Kemp, Ethier and Manny one day off each week, giving the deserving Pierre three games per week so he can stay in the mix.

What effect did the "fertility drug" Manny said he took actually have on him?

He's now addicted to pickles and ice cream.

Really, how do you expect Manny to perform once he is reinstated?

Best guess, brilliantly.

Manny being Manny. One bomb on July 3, L.A. names a street after him. Two bombs, the Lakers throw him a parade in the Coliseum.

Seriously, will he be welcomed back by Dodger fans?

Warmly, adoringly, almost universally. Our sports heroes are tainted these days. Most people are now inured to it. But it's still sad that we have to yell ourselves hoarse for cheaters.

Is Manny going to end up in the Hall of Fame?

Honestly, at this point, does it matter? Cooperstown is now fatally corrupted every time they let anyone in who played during baseball's Steroid Era. And the record book, once baseball's Holy Grail, is now irretrievably destroyed also. But it's still a great game to watch and play.

Who should we suspect has used, or is still using, steroids in baseball?

No joke here -- literally everyone except David Eckstein.

-- Ted Green

Green formerly covered sports for the L.A. Times. His two sons in college baseball didn't and don't take anything except sunscreen. He is currently Senior Sports Producer for KTLA Prime News.

Photo: Manny Ramirez, left, prepares to leave the ballpark Thursday with friend Rico Perdomo before his scheduled third game for the Albuquerque Isotopes. Credit. Craig Fritz / Associated Press

The Dodgers last night signed their third-round selection from the draft, right-handed pitcher Brett Wallach, who is the son of Triple-A Albuquerque manager and former Dodger Tim Wallach. Brett was drafted out of Orange Coast College in nearby Costa Mesa , where he went 10-1 with four saves and a 2.26 ERA in 2009 en route to being named Orange Empire Conference Player of the Year. Brett's older brother, Matt Wallach, is now playing for the Dodgers' Single-A Great Lakes affiliate.

From today's Dodger game notes

Islands Happy Hour Menu FTW
smokin.gif

Game time in a hour, lets go - Dodgers have not lost 3 in a row, so lets not start tonight.

We gotta keep winning, Giants / Rockies are playing well.

Btw, 562 you go to Sambi?

dodgers signed the young wallach, have the old wallach have daddy wallach to coach??

wow

talk about building around a family.

Weird that they're doing the pre-game from Morongo, they said its 90Miles away from L.A, but I think its farther.

The piece they did on their buffet though
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom