OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

There's no time to waste, this ain't April and the other teams in the Division aren't stinking at the moment. If he loses, badly, he's got tobe out of the rotation. Weaver deserves a consistent showing in the rotation, he's deserved it IMO.

I was just cruising wikipedia...

The Rolando Paulino team from New York City was originally the Mid-Atlantic champion, but forfeited its position in the tournament because Danny Almonte is mad good, who was an ineligible player (he was found to be 2 years too old for Little League).
roll.gif

Agreed.

Sad to say Milton is in the same position as Stults was in, come off the DL and just losing it his nx start.

Ned is workin' on some things tho ....

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

MrJ lemme get that Mini Sirloin coupon

I got a hot buck on it

nerd.gif

These !#$$!!$ didn't give any out tonight! I was disappointed I didn't get any mini sirloin burgers or see griffey play

[h1]Lindblom promoted to Albuquerque[/h1]In a span of 12 months, Josh Lindblom has quickly worked his way through the Los Angeles Dodgers minor league system.

Now, the former Purdue and Harrison standout pitcher is one step closer to his dream.
Lindblom is scheduled to join the Dodgers' Triple-A affiliate in Albuquerque, N.M., today after spending the first half of the season in Chattanooga, Tenn., the organization's Double-A team.

"Since you were a little kid, you dream about climbing the ladder to whatever it is you want to be when you grow up," Lindblom said. "Now I'm one step away from my dream."

Lindblom, a second-round draft pick in June 2008, said predicting the timing of these promotions is virtually impossible.

"You come in hoping today is going to be the day, but you never know," he said. "When it does happen, it happens really fast."

It's unclear when Lindblom will make his first appearance for the Isotopes, who open a four-game series at Omaha, Neb., tonight.

Lindblom was 3-5 with 4.71 ERA in 14 games, including 11 starts, at Chattanooga. He allowed 55 hits in 571/3 innings, walking 14 and striking out 46.

Lookouts pitching coach Glenn Dishman told the Chattanooga Times Free Press earlier this month that Lindblom is limited to five innings each start.

"We have a program from the front office to try and keep him fresh, kind of like we did with Clayton Kershaw last year," Dishman said. "So that when or if he gets the call to the big leagues, his arm will be good and solid. He was a reliever at Purdue, and we're just trying to ease him into the innings."

Although Lindblom's statistics don't appear to be overly impressive, the Dodgers are looking beyond the numbers.

"Performance is always going to be measured by your stats," Lindblom said. "You look at my stats and they aren't anything to write home about, I don't think.

"You have to throw stats out the window and say, 'What did I do good today and what can I improve on.' I look at it that way. When you look at it that way, it's a lot easier to gauge your results."

Lindblom received a taste of being on the Dodgers at the end of spring training. In fact, he pitched four scoreless innings in the final exhibition game at San Francisco's AT&T Park before being assigned to Chattanooga.

"It was only an exhibition game and only 25,000 people were there and you don't realize how big those stadiums are until you see that third deck. It's overpowering at first," Lindblom said.
"But I'm not there yet. To be so close to your dream ... it puts a fire in your belly and you want to get back there."

[h3]Dodgers adept at halting brief skids[/h3]Los Angeles (48-26) vs. Seattle (37-36), 7:10 p.m. PT
LOS ANGELES -- When the Dodgers square off against the Seattle Mariners on Saturday for the second of three games at Dodger Stadium, the club will do so with a fresh victory in the pocket after dropping the final two of its three-game set vs. the White Sox in Chicago.
[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
Under normal circumstances, a single win isn't anything of note, but in the Dodgers' case it represents another reason why the team currently is the best in the big leagues.

With Friday's 8-2 win against the Mariners, the Dodgers avoided their first three-game losing skid of the season. They remain the only team in baseball that hasn't suffered such a streak.

The game also marked the seventh time this season the Dodgers faced the prospects of a third straight defeat. And as was the case Friday, three of the other six streak-ending wins came via blowout.

Before Friday's win, a reporter asked Dodgers manager Joe Torre what he thought was the reason for his team's ability to halt losing streaks at just two games. Torre was frank with his assessment.

"We've been lucky a lot," Torre said. "We've played a lot of close games, our record in close games is very good."

The Dodgers are 16-8 in one-run games, and are 6-2 in extra-inning affairs.

Torre attributes a lot of that success to his bullpen, which entered Friday's game with a 3.49 ERA and a 20-9 record.

"The bullpen has been doing an amazing job," Torre said. "When we left Spring Training we really weren't sure what it was all about, our bullpen. So you have to credit the bullpen."

Taking the mound Saturday for the Dodgers as the team looks for its second straight win is left-hander Eric Milton.

For the first time in nearly a month, Milton will start a game for the Dodgers.

This marks Milton's first start since May 31 at Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs. The southpaw has been on the disabled list since June 7 with a strained back.

Pitching matchup
LAD: LHP Eric Milton (2-0, 2.89 ERA)
Milton returns to action and the rotation as the fifth starter after nearly three weeks on the disabled list with a back strain. Milton, resurrecting his career after two years idled by Tommy John surgery, pitched well in four starts with a 2-0 record and 2.89 ERA. He relies on location and not velocity and seemed to have regained the feel for his breaking ball before going to the sidelines. He pitched 5 1/3 scoreless innings in his final rehab start Sunday.

SEA: RHP Felix Hernandez (7-3, 2.74 ERA)
The ace right-hander had his personal scoreless inning streak reach 20 frames before it ended on a two-run home run in the eighth inning against the Diamondbacks. Hernandez had to pitch out of a bases-loaded, nobody-out jam in the second inning to keep the streak alive. Even so, he has now surrendered five earned runs in his past 45 innings and continues to bid for his first All-Star Game invitation. This will be Felix's second career start against the Dodgers. He is 0-1, having lost to the NL club at Dodger Stadium.

Tidbits
Andre Ethier now has five multi-homer games this year, best in the Majors. ... Friday was Ethier's first three-homer game of his career. ... The Dodgers are 9-7 in Interleague Play after Friday's win. ... The lone walk issued by Clayton Kershaw on Friday tied for his lowest number of free passes in a start this season. ... The Dodgers optioned reliever Corey Wade to Triple-A Albuquerque on Friday to make room for Milton.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]PAINTER: The House that Manny could help build[/h1]
Ramirez's appearance tonight at Lake Elsinore might turn out to be boon for Temecula-based charity

By Jill Painter, columnist

Updated: 06/26/2009 10:31:34 PM PDT

Manny Ramirez is expected to draw a crowd tonight at Lake Elsinore -- just like he did this past week at Albuquerque. His appearance tonight coincides with a prior promotion to benefit Jacob's House, a Temecula non-profit group. (AP Photo/Craig Fritz)

Manny Ramirez and his circus will roll through the Inland Empire this weekend.

Manny Mania will be highlighted by dreadlocks, No. 99s, beefed up security, additional concessions stands, sold-out minor-league stadiums and a crush of media.

Ramirez's march back to the majors is not a quiet one.

The Diamond, home of the Lake Elsinore Storm, will be Manny's house today.

It is supposed to be Jacob's House.

Today was an ordinary day dedicated to an extraordinary cause.

Before Ramirez was scheduled to star for the Dodgers' Single-A affiliate Inland Empire 66ers at Lake Elsinore, Jacob's House was the game's featured promotion.

And there's a contortionist scheduled, too.

There would have been no need to hire double the security or hire a private security firm, as one of the minor-league clubs did, if Manny wasn't here.

Ramirez is here because of a 50-game suspension for using drugs and he'll be the star of the show.

The Storm has sold out all 6,000 seats but still had 1,000 of the 2,000 grass seats remaining on Friday. If all 8,000 seats - averaging in price from $6 to $10 - are sold, that almost would double Lake Elsinore's average Saturday night attendance of 4,478.

It's a wonderful thing for Jacob's House, which will receive a percentage of the proceeds from today's game. Jacob's House is a nonprofit organization in Temecula that serves as a home away from home for families going through tragedies.

A section of the stadium will be home to children and parents wearing "Jacob's House" T-shirts. They'll have to share their stage.

Jacob's House officials aren't groaning at the prospect of playing second fiddle to Manny. Theybelieve their organization will benefit from the exposure of a packed house.

Vikita Poindexter, vice president of community affairs for Jacob's House, sent another e-mail campaign to folks about today's game when she learned Ramirez was scheduled to play at Lake Elsinore.

"We used Manny for encouragement for people to come out," Poindexter said. "The ones that were on the fence, when they heard Manny would be here, maybe they would jump on board. They're going to give us a percentage of the ticket sales and there's a silent auction that night. That's huge for us. Manny is an added blessing."

Temecula city manager Shawn Nelson will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

His son, Jacob, was 24years old when he died in a car accident 2<MD+,%30,%55,%70>1/<MD-,%0,%55,%70>2 years ago. Jacob's House is named in his honor, and it provided a safe haven for Shawn, his wife Stephanie and their family.

It's been said a parent losing a child is the worst kind of pain, and unfortunately, Nelson knows. He's still dealing with it, but working on building Jacob's House a permanent home has helped ease the pain.

He's done the math on what donations from a capacity crowd of 8,000 would mean for Jacob's House.

"If just 4,000 people gave $20 a month, in five years we'd have $4.8 million," Nelson said.

Enough money for a real home for Jacob's House.

Lake Elsinore general manager Chris Jones said Jacob's House has been really helpful to the Storm, with a 5K race and other events. Jones was glad to give back to the organization and tonight is a thank you of sorts. Manny is giving back, too, without even knowing it.

Nelson will have informational booths around the stadium. He'll talk about Jacob's House between innings twice during the game.

Nelson is a Dodgers fan and has been amazed by what Ramirez has done in his career. His son, who played all sports, was a big Dodgers fan, too.

He believes Jacob will be at today's game in spirit.

"My son is with me everywhere I go," Nelson said. "He loved the Dodgers. There's going to be an angel in the outfield (tonight). I know he'll be blown away by the evening. The fact that it's called, `The Heart of Jacob Family Fun Night' would blow him away beyond belief. He will be there."

And Manny is expected to be there, too.

Shawn Nelson will share the same field with Ramirez when he goes to the mound before the first pitch. He hasn't warmed up and doesn't care if the ball makes it over home plate. He said he's just going to be a proud father.

And if he had a moment to chat with Ramirez?

"I would say that all things happen in life, whether they're good or bad for a reason," Nelson said. "I believe there's a reason he'll be at Lake Elsinore (tonight). It's not just a part of his rehab. It's an opportunity for him to bring people in to learn something meaningful and significant. I would ask him if he could sign a couple of jerseys or balls or caps or whatever could be auctioned off. Because of his influence, he has an opportunity to help other people.

"At the end of the day when all the dust has settled, I believe that's what it's all about, touching other people's lives."

The Diamond will be Manny's house today.

Let's not forget it's Jacob's House, too.

[h2]Wise Collects Johnny Bench Award[/h2]
Senior named nation's top collegiate catcher

June 26, 2009

WICHITA, Kan. -- Senior J.T. Wise added yet another accolade to his impressive resume as he was named the winner of the 2009 Johnny Bench Award. The honor, given annually to the nation's top collegiate catcher since 2000, was given out by the Hall of Fame catcher at a banquet in Wichita late Friday night.

Wise is the first Sooner to collect the award and the second catcher in the history of the Big 12 Conference (Kelly Shoppach - Baylor, 2001). Wise, Shoppach and Taylor Teagarden (2005-Texas) are the only Big 12 catchers to make the finalist list.

Tony Sanchez from Boston College and Chris Henderson from George Mason were the other 2009 finalists.

"I'd like to thank my parents, sister, girlfriend and coach for supporting me," stated Wise at the banquet. "I wish Tony and Chris luck as they continue in their careers."

In addition to some impressive offensive numbers, Wise thrived at the catcher position and threw out a Big 12 best 30 potential base stealers this year (52 percent). In addition, he picked off six runners and committed just two errors, good for a .996 fielding percentage.

In 2009, Wise was named an All-American by all four major outlets, including first team honors from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers' Association (NCBWA). The 2009 Big 12 Player of the Year was also named a second team All-American by the American Baseball Coaches' Association (ABCA), Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball.

He was also named to the All-Big 12 first team and to the Big 12 Championship All-Tournament team this season. Wise was also a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award, an honor given out to the nation's top player.

Selected in the fifth round of the 2009 MLB Draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers, Wise was picked 157th overall two years removed from his 45th round selection in the 2007 draft.

Wise led all Sooners in 2009 with a .359 batting average, 17 home runs and a .665 slugging percentage and was tied for the team lead with 62 RBIs. He was named the Big 12 Player of the Year after leading the league during the regular season with a .375 batting average.

The Apopka, Fla., native played in all but two games for the Sooners this season with 55 starts and has a hit in 46 of those games. He hit safely in 16 of the final 20 contests. In Big 12 play, Wise hit well over .300 (.363) with 10 home runs and 32 RBIs.

Wise started his collegiate career at Louisiana State and was named a freshman All-American at second base. Following his sophomore season at LSU, he transferred to OU and hit .278 with seven homers and 49 RBIs as a junior in 2008.

also the manny impersonator/look a like wasted no time, he was rocking what looked like an authentic Isotopes Ramirez jersey and Isotopes hat

47741013.jpg

Email Picture

John Froschauer / Associated Press

Seattle Mariners starting pitcher Jarrod Washburn rubs the baseball between pitches against the Arizona Diamondbacks on June 19.

DODGERS FYI

[h1]Dodgers may be interested in Jarrod Washburn[/h1]

John Froschauer / Associated Press

Seattle Mariners starting pitcher Jarrod Washburn rubs the baseball between pitches against the Arizona Diamondbacks on June 19.

If the Mariners remain in contention, however, the left-hander might not leave Seattle.

By Ben Bolch
June 27, 2009
Jarrod Washburn is friends with Jeff Weaver and in a fantasy football league with Doug Mientkiewicz.

The possibility of Washburn joining his pals in Dodger blue appears very real.

The Dodgers are interested in the Seattle Mariners starter, a durable left-hander who could bolster an injury-plagued rotation. Washburn has pitched at least six innings in 12 of his 14 starts this season. He also likes Dodger Stadium.

"It's a great park and there's always a big crowd and the team's winning, so that would be good," Washburn said Friday before the Mariners played the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

Complicating the efforts of the Dodgers -- or any team -- hoping to acquire Washburn is the fact that the Mariners began play Friday only two games out of first place in the American League West.
Does Washburn think that playing for a contender makes him less likely to get traded?

"I don't think about it at all one way or the other," said the former Angel, who is 4-5 with a 3.22 earned-run average. "I've had so many things happen either personally or that I've seen in baseball that just surprise you that they happen.

"Guys get traded or not traded or whatever. Nothing would surprise me either way. The only thing I can control is what I do every five days, and that's all I'm worried about."

Minor move for Manny

Manny Ramirez's road back to Dodger Stadium takes a somewhat unconventional turn today: from triple-A Albuquerque to Class-A Inland Empire. It should be an easy transition, with one possible exception.

"If the guys are wild, then that's an issue," Dodgers Manager Joe Torre said, alluding to the fact that command can be an issue for pitchers in the lower rungs of the minor leagues.

Ramirez, who went 0 for 3 with a walk in two games with the Isotopes, is scheduled to play in four games with the 66ers. Ramirez returned to Dodger Stadium on Friday for a morning workout, Torre said.

What about Juan?

Torre said that Juan Pierre, who has filled in admirably in Ramirez's absence, would play a day or two a week in center field upon Ramirez's return July 3 from a 50-game drug suspension.

Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will alternate as the right fielder on the days Pierre starts, giving the other player the day off.

Schmidt sharp

In perhaps the most encouraging sign in his comeback from shoulder surgery that has sidelined him since June 2007, Jason Schmidt pitched 7 2/3 scoreless innings for Albuquerque in a rehabilitation start. The right-hander gave up five hits and one walk while striking out seven. He threw 104 pitches.
sick.gif

Elevator operator dies

Horace Lee, who operated one of the elevators behind home plate at Dodger Stadium for 21 years, died this week.

"He was always in a good mood, always nice to everybody," fellow elevator attendant Marie Meza said. "All the players knew him."

Short hops

An examination of reliever Will Ohman's bothersome left elbow revealed tendinitis in the area. He will rest and be reevaluated Monday. . . . Eric Stults, on the disabled list because of a thumb injury, gave up one run in three innings Thursday during his first rehabilitation start for Class-A Inland Empire and is scheduled to pitch again Monday. . . . The Dodgers signed third-round draft pick Brett Wallach, a right-hander from Orange Coast College who is the son of Albuquerque Manager Tim Wallach. . . . The Dodgers optioned struggling reliever Cory Wade to Albuquerque after the game to make room on the roster for Eric Milton, who will be activated today to start against the Mariners.

Later Wade.

CincoSeisDos wrote:

I got a hot buck on it

nerd.gif

These !#$$!!$ didn't give any out tonight! I was disappointed I didn't get any mini sirloin burgers or see griffey play

what the hell?

That's garbage

smh.gif
, I hated that promotion. Extra work and the Dodgers were killing everyone by more than 3,
laugh.gif

Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you guys, the promotion ended in May.

JITB wants to do it again though,
mad.gif

Griffey is not playing tonight? Im be @+%@%+% pissed if he dont

atleast im sitting in all you can eat

That second pic is my avy on the scout.com dodgers board. I'm pretty sure that was a party at the Playboy Mansion they went to. It was maybe a month afterhe had that great start to his MLB career.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

CincoSeisDos wrote:

I got a hot buck on it

nerd.gif

what the hell?

That's garbage

smh.gif
, I hated that promotion. Extra work and the Dodgers were killing everyone by more than 3,
laugh.gif

Fortunately for me, and unfortunately for you guys, the promotion ended in May.

JITB wants to do it again though,
mad.gif

I can see how it'd be a pain. I remember the workers SPRINTING to the gates after the last out.

But free though
smokin.gif

i'd never pay for em, plus it made for great food to take to the next game
laugh.gif

That second pic is my avy on the scout.com dodgers board. I'm pretty sure that was a party at the Playboy Mansion they went to. It was maybe a month after he had that great start to his MLB career.
yeah it looks a little old, although i'm sure Russ is rocking something similar to this day
laugh.gif

im there tonight. if you see a guy in a darryl strawberry jersey come up and you peasants can have my sirloin burger coupon from last month.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Griffey is not playing tonight? Im be @+%@%+% pissed if he dont

atleast im sitting in all you can eat
tired.gif
if Griffey dont play

Il see you there
wink.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

nerd.gif
i'm on the look out

One question. Is it a fashion district jersey cuz if so i'm not even gonna try
ohwell.gif

its authentic from 1992. no swap meet jerseys here.
laugh.gif
there is one on ebay right now.. i want it so bad.. too much money tho.
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom