Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

I am not gonna lie....I am excited for Canelo vs Floyd.

I think Floyd will win obviously but he has been getting hit more as of late then normal (Ortiz and Mosely) and Canelo has power. Will be an intersting fight. Sadly though if Canelo wins he basically will attain god status :lol:

How many punches did Mosely and Ortiz hit Floyd with?

I dont agree with Canelo having power. he has shown a wearing down type accumalitve power on tomato cans but he hasnt one punch ko'd anyone

Canelo makes the most sense money wise since they will be fighting the weekend of Cinco De Mayo. Plus it's the best opponent out there for Floyd right now. This will be a tremendous step up in competition for Canelo.

I think Floyd's slick movement and outstanding counter punching will give Canelo hell. I don't see Canelo winning this fight at all.

Last edited:
I think Canelo can take a punch better then hatton though (at least hatton in his twilight). I in no way think Canelo will win :lol:. But dude is skilled. Fast hands, hits hard, is a good body puncher. Can be patient at times which will work in his favor since floyd is so good at frustrating opponents.

I mean no one ever lands punches on floyd so saying people landed punches is misleading :lol: but mosely staggered floyd and he came out of his defense to trade with Ortiz at times and allowed himself to get cornered more then normal.

^ I believe so, he's taking a tough fight in Argentina in May I think with Martin Murray.

Another thing on Canelo, have we ever seen his chin tested?

Never. He's never had to go against a fighter that's a strong puncher or is considered stiff competition.

Never. He's never had to go against a fighter that's a strong puncher or is considered stiff competition.

But you think floyd is really going to test his chin?

But agreed on he hasn't fought anyone to this point. I thought maybe the Cintron fight would be solid if Cintron got up for it. He was once a solid fighter....but he looked horrible against Canelo....he prob threw the fight like when he took the dive out of the ring against paul

Exactly...and how have GB's prospects fared when they've been groomed to be stars and matched up with tomato cans their whole career and then step up into tough matchups? Ortiz and Khan stand out. I'd like to see how he handles that.

But you think floyd is really going to test his chin?

But agreed on he hasn't fought anyone to this point. I thought maybe the Cintron fight would be solid if Cintron got up for it. He was once a solid fighter....but he looked horrible against Canelo....he prob threw the fight like when he took the dive out of the ring against paul

Absolutely. Those straight rights are deadly. We'll see how well Canelo takes a punch.

If Canelo can knock down May at least once things can get interesting.

It has never been done, though. Floyd has shown that he can take a punch. Even Mosley couldn't drop him. I say, if Canelo can get Mayweather's nose to bleed, that will definitely be interesting. I think Canelo's body attack on Mayweather will be useless because all Floyd has to do is roll from left to right to block all of the shots. I think he should aim high on the head where he is exposed and forced to roll back or put his right hand up in front of his face. Corner him and pound away. Standing in front of him will be completely useless.

On another note, did anyone read about how Floyd Jr. is thinking of going back to his father as his trainer? He said Roger is slowing down and having trouble with diabetes.

^ I believe so, he's taking a tough fight in Argentina in May I think with Martin Murray.
Another thing on Canelo, have we ever seen his chin tested?

He hasn't faced anyone with the power to test that chin, but we all know one thing, he leaves his chin out there. He's prone to being hit, that's for sure.

Ortiz isn't in the same breath as Amir is IMO, Amir still has a chance to be a great boxer. I don't think Ortiz does.

I'll pay money to see Canelo/Floyd, but I think it'll just expose Canelo if anything. The only way Floyd doesn't win is if it's on Floyd, and doesn't take the fight seriously, but that's something we haven't seen from Floyd yet.

Floyd hasn't had the battles that a lot of these guys have like Cotto where he just gets beat down. Those fights a lot out of you. Only time Floyd starts to wear down is if he doesn't take his training seriously. And I don't see that happening in 2013.

#HardWorkDedication

Canelo vs Floyd is a waste.  Canelo hast proven anything or anyone that he'll stand a chance with Floyd.    I believe Martinez is more deserving to a fight with Floyd then Canelo. 

I hope negotiations fall apart.  Canelo should still fight Ortiz and/or Trout. 

Larry Merchant will call his last figh on saturday

why the **** is shane mosley talking about a comeback?
Not surprised. Figured he'd come back eventually...

Dude has to keep fighting, don't forget...his wife took him for 1/2 of everything and then some. Even got his championship belt collection
laugh.gif

Sorry if already posted..

Friday, December 14, 2012
Pacquiao, Marquez tests negative
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

The Nevada State Athletic Commission announced Friday that welterweights Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez both tested negative for any banned substances in the drug tests they were each administered in conjunction with their fourth fight last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"(The) steroid and drug test results came back negative for all prohibited substances," said Keith Kizer, executive director of the commission.

Marquez, 0-2-1 in their first three bouts, knocked Pacquiao out in shocking fashion Saturday with a single right hand with one second left in the sixth round.

The fighters both submitted to pre- and post-fight urine tests. The Nevada commission does not blood test.

Nevada hosted three fight cards last weekend, and Kizer said all 44 fighters on the cards were tested. Most of the test results are back and Kizer said, so far, all are negative.

There was much discussion before the fight about Marquez's new physique at age 39, as well as the fact that Angel "Memo" Heredia was working with him for the second fight as his strength and conditioning coach. Heredia was a key figure in the BALCO steroid scandal and testified for the government against those to whom he distributed designer steroids.

So now we can move onto other fighters and bouts. Great fighters, great series, and a great ending.

Both belong in the HOF. And to the individual who asked me if I felt the same way about Pacquiao's PED allegations, of course I do. They're unfounded and 'til tests come out stating otherwise there's no reason for such damaging conjecture.

I will say this though, I don't think anyone unscrupulously alleged PED use for Pacquiao after any particular bout of his. It was much more a question of the muscle mass he put on throughout his career. Which still was grossly unfounded speculation, what was particularly angering to me about the Marquez speculation was that much of it seemed to be coming from people with the inability to accept that Pacquiao legitimately lost.

That to me was even more disturbing. In either case, I don't appreciate the damaging speculation. I do not dislike Pacquiao, I dislike some of his decision making, I dislike the company he chooses to keep, but I do not dislike Manny.

:lol:

so the **** what he tested Negative.

People who Know Nothing about PEDs use this as a "see he's clean"

its actually sad man. especially when there is so much information out there

He has Long Cycled off of his training regiment cocktails.

Memo can beat any Piss test known to man, ESPECIALLY given Months to prepare.

yall can bury your heads in the sand all you want bc he's your favorite fighter. thats cool.

Its no different than Barry Bonds. JMM is a top 5 (maybe top 3) fighter of this era. wont take anything away from him but your blind if you think this power surge this late in his career is Natural.

Going off Canelo's track record, his matchups don't standout so without him fighting anyone solid, I don't see him doing too much against Mayweather.

Last edited:
At this point there really is no one left to fight Floyd. Anyone he picks is going to have some kind of flaw to pick apart.

At this point there really is no one left to fight Floyd. Anyone he picks is going to have some kind of flaw to pick apart.

He just might be the most complete fighter of all time. He should fight Adrien Broner and make him look like a foolish impostor :lol:. Also, Sergio Martinez needs to stop calling out smaller fighters like Mayweather and Pacquiao. If he's so confident in his abilities, he should step up and face some of the Super Middleweights like Ward, Froch, or Kessler.

Last edited:
:lol:

so the **** what he tested Negative.

People who Know Nothing about PEDs use this as a "see he's clean"

its actually sad man. especially when there is so much information out there

He has Long Cycled off of his training regiment cocktails.

Memo can beat any Piss test known to man, ESPECIALLY given Months to prepare.

yall can bury your heads in the sand all you want bc he's your favorite fighter. thats cool.

Its no different than Barry Bonds. JMM is a top 5 (maybe top 3) fighter of this era. wont take anything away from him but your blind if you think this power surge this late in his career is Natural.

THIS.

Last edited:

He just might be the most complete fighter of all time. He should fight Adrien Broner and make him look like a foolish impostor :lol:. Also, Sergio Martinez needs to stop calling out smaller fighters like Mayweather and Pacquiao. If he's so confident in his abilities, he should step up and face some of the Super Middleweights like Ward, Froch, or Kessler.

Martinez is too small for SMW and he wants a big payday at this age. He should fight Chavez again. Then GGG or Quillen, whoever becomes a bigger name.

Back
Top Bottom