Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

Good
pimp.gif

What's it at, like 150?

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

pimp.gif
Would've been better 4 years ago, BUT...I'm good with it now.

Esp w/ Cotto coming off the Margarito W, and not having to weight drain.

Cotto/Mayweather > Pac/Bradley...guess I know where my $ is going.

All of This. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm a huge Cotto fan.. odds are extremely not in his favor. But it's cool, he gets another shot at a top guy which many people thought he wouldn't get after the beating Pacman gave him. 

I expect Money to win.........but if he doesnt

I'd go nuts and Yell "MY QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN" ala Leonidas in 300 

pimp.gif

The Pac/Bradley fight is a huge 
indifferent.gif
 to me can't understand why that fight was or will be made.
i'm cool with Floyd/Cotto because Cotto is comfortable at 154 even though he will lose. Cotto also agreed to random blood testing.
also PAC wanted Cotto for a rematch at 147
alien.gif
 this guy is always seeking advantages.

Is Cotto not under contract with Bob Arum?

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

pimp.gif

The Pac/Bradley fight is a huge 
indifferent.gif
 to me can't understand why that fight was or will be made.
i'm cool with Floyd/Cotto because Cotto is comfortable at 154 even though he will lose. Cotto also agreed to random blood testing.
also PAC wanted Cotto for a rematch at 147
alien.gif
 this guy is always seeking advantages.

Is Cotto not under contract with Bob Arum?
Taking pages from FM ( ie Marquez moving up 2 classes at an uncomfortable weight)

And what other catch weight fights has PBF fought? People are quick to throw that fight out there but forget JMM called out PBF after the Juan Diaz fight and said he'd be willing to go up to 142 for that fight in the post fight interview.

The "be willing to go up to 142" being the focal point there. PBF doesn't force people to fight at weights like Manny does.

I won't believe that Pac vs Bradley fight will happen until I see it on the ring. There is no upside for Pac, if he beats Bradley nobody cares and its going to be tough to look good against Bradley. Marquez must be refusing to fight and make some kind of demands that Arum wont concede because he is the only interesting guy left for Pac.

You guys see the twitter beef between WV2 and Donaire?

WV2 calling Donaires wife a pig and %$#...

laugh.gif

ps.... It feels good to be back fellas
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

And what other catch weight fights has PBF fought? People are quick to throw that fight out there but forget JMM called out PBF after the Juan Diaz fight and said he'd be willing to go up to 142 for that fight in the post fight interview.

The "be willing to go up to 142" being the focal point there. PBF doesn't force people to fight at weights like Manny does.

Wasn't a catch weight PBF did make Hatton move up in weight.. people forget that

Yea but didn't Hatton fight Collazo at 147 only about a year before that? Besides, after the JLC fight he called PBF out and said he'd go to WW to fight him. IDK, I don't count that as the same thing as what Manny does.

Another easy win for Mayweather.

The Bradley & Pacman fight is all business. Both fighters are on Top Rank. Arum get's to keep the money in house. He's happy. Boxing fans dissappointed. What's new?

Originally Posted by Proshares

Yea but didn't Hatton fight Collazo at 147 only about a year before that? Besides, after the JLC fight he called PBF out and said he'd go to WW to fight him. IDK, I don't count that as the same thing as what Manny does.

That's true but besides Margarito and Cotto. Who else was forced to make a catchweight to benefit Pacquiao? Margarito had been callin Pac out too. Delahoya went to 147 but he cherry picked Pacquiao. I just don't see the huge diff between the two. Just like Pacquiao, Mayweather has carefully picked his opponents!

+*%% just got real
Donaire_Vazquez_Jr_PC_120202_002a.jpg

Donaire_Vazquez_Jr_PC_120202_001a.jpg

im hyped! can't wait for this weekend. should be a good fight for as long as it last

You hear all the %$$* this dude WV2 talked about Nonito's wife? And the racist %$$* his wife is spewing on Twitter?
laugh.gif
this dude Vasquez isn't even that $!$+%$% good, I really hope Nonito pounds him into the canvas for 12 rounds. I would hate to see him knock him out early.

i never did like Vasquez....    There a vid of that arguement?  Junjun gonna be raining left hooks all night!

#pinoypride all the way. Not gna let @lyameraliz who is Vazquezs wife tell me Im scared n then twitter #stupidphillipines . NO ONE gna disrespect my country.

Chavez Jr. (finally) in tough against Rubio.

Spoiler [+]
SAN ANTONIO -- When Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. began his professional boxing career in 2003, at age 17, he was a fighter in famous name only.

His father, the stellar three-division champion and Hall of Famer Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., is perhaps Mexico's greatest fighter. But the kid? Sure, he had the name and wore the same iconic red headband when he walked to the ring, but few thought he could fight much.

With no amateur career, he was the project of projects. But that name, so revered in Mexico, helped the kid draw crowds as he fought one no-hoper after another.

[h4]Rafael's boxing blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

Now, all these years later -- Chavez Jr. is still only 25 -- the kid has actually developed into a good professional. He even won a world title, which he will defend for the second time against Mexican countryman Marco Antonio Rubio on Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET) at the Alamodome in a fight that many view as the toughest test of Chavez's career -- and one that has action written all over it.

In the televised opener, pound-for-pound star Nonito Donaire (27-1, 18 KOs) moves up to junior featherweight to face former titlist Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (21-1-1, 18 KOs) for a vacant belt as HBO kicks off its 2012 boxing schedule.

"He was very, very young, not yet formed physically and he turns pro and he goes into this boxing profession and you move him very, very carefully because he doesn't know very much and you have to train him," Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said Thursday, discussing Chavez's slow and steady climb up the pro ranks at Thursday's news conference.

"He was unformed. He was around boxing, of course, his whole life. But he hadn't had much experience. Now, today, he is truly an experienced veteran fighter and a world champion, and believe you me, he has demonstrated in his last few fights he deserves the accolade of world champion."

That can be debated, of course, because Chavez still hasn't faced any serious contenders.

He scored a solid win against John Duddy at the Alamodome in June 2010, in what many regard as his first serious fight. Two bouts later, he won a title by outpointing feather-fisted Sebastian Zbik, who was handed his belt when lineal champion Sergio Martinez was stripped. And in his first defense in November, Chavez needed only five rounds to blow out Peter Manfredo Jr., who is well known (because of his stint on "The Contender) but had little chance to win.

But now Chavez (44-0-1, 31 KOs) finally will face a legitimate contender in Rubio (53-5-1, 46 KOs), an experienced pro with good power and even more determination.

[+] Enlarge
Richard Wolowicz/Getty ImagesMarco Antonio Rubio, right, scored a career-turning win against highly touted prospect David Lemieux last April.

Rubio, 31, is riding a 10-fight winning streak since being stopped by then-middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik in the ninth round in 2009. Included in that streak was a huge upset last April of undefeated blue-chip prospect David Lemieux of Montreal, who had been crushing Rubio through most of the fight until he rallied for the seventh-round TKO.

"Definitely his toughest fight," said trainer Freddie Roach, who has been with Chavez since the Duddy fight. "Rubio has a lot of experience, a lot of wins, a lot of knockouts. This is definitely the most experienced and best puncher we've fought. So it is a big test for us, but I expect to pass with flying colors and go to bigger things down the road."

Chavez, who has begun to speak English, said he is anxious for the test against Rubio.

"I have a lot of experience now and I know what I have to do," he said. "Last time I fought here in San Antonio, it was a very important fight. It took me to the next level against John Duddy. Now this is the toughest fighter of my career, but I am ready for this fight. I prepared 100 percent.

"Rubio is very experienced and a hard puncher. He surprised everyone with the Lemieux win and that's why people think this is a fight. I agree it's a tough fight. But I think I've developed so much and that I am ready for these type of fighters and to be beat them."

The fight with Zbik was a tremendous learning experience for Chavez, which he hopes to carry over into Saturday's fight.

"The toughest fight I've had so far was against Sebastian Zbik," Chavez said. "I think I have become a better fighter since I won the title. I work harder in the gym because I know what it takes to keep the title. My father always said titles are won and lost in training -- meaning you must be prepared. Rubio has said some awful things, but I have to deal with stuff like that. This a real tough fight for me, and I know it."

Rubio, typically mild-mannered, has trashed Chavez in the Mexican media, although he showed the utmost respect at Thursday's news conference.

"I've been reading what he's been saying, but he didn't say anything to me," Chavez said. "I met him twice and he never came up to me and said anything. Words, they go with the wind. I don't care about that. We'll show him Saturday night what we think about him."

[+] Enlarge
Chris Farina/Top RankJulio Cesar Chavez Jr. says he "prepared 100 percent" for what he -- and many others -- call the toughest fight of his young career.

Rubio has predicted a sixth-round knockout, which seemed to have annoyed Chavez.

"He keeps saying he will knock me out in six rounds," Chavez said, "and I don't think he is giving me the respect that I deserve."

Rubio has also repeatedly dissed the legitimacy of Chavez's title, as many have, given that it was stripped from Martinez and the fact that, even when a fight between the two was ordered, Top Rank found a way to avoid it.

"We both punch hard and there is going to be a knockout. I think we both realize that," Rubio said through a translator. "This is the best opportunity for me to win a WBC middleweight championship, which is why I have been calling for this fight. I told some press in Mexico that I don't believe he is a real champion, but he has the belt and I know he will fight hard to keep it.

"I'm very happy and very motivated to be here in San Antonio for what I consider to be the most important fight of my career. It's a great opportunity, and I believe that this a very winnable fight for me. I have trained very hard in Mexico and, with all due respect to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., who is a very good boxer, he is not even the best champion in the division and has not fought the level of competition that I have. After I lost to Kelly Pavlik, I made some changes in my team and it really has paid off with a long winning streak that has helped me to get this new opportunity to fight for a world championship. No one has given me anything in my career. I have earned everything, and this fight and win Saturday will be the crowning achievement of my professional career."

Chavez and Roach understand why many question the validity of the title Chavez owns, but they also know a victory over Rubio will go a long way toward easing the criticism.

"I think it makes a great statement for [Chavez] and legitimizes the title a little bit more," Roach said. "But the thing is, I'm not looking for the knockout. I told him go out there and win every round, one at a time. If the knockout comes, it comes. If you go out there looking for a knockout, your liable to get hit in the exchange. I want him to fight a smart fight. That's the most important thing to me."

Said Chavez: "It's important to me to show I am the top 160[-pounder] in the world, and I know that I have to fight these type of guys and beat them. I know this is going to give more credibility to my career and to my championship. I also want Martinez. He's another guy who's been talking a lot. Nothing in front of me, but I hear him talking. I'm ready. If they say that's the next fight, that's the next fight. I'm ready for whenever Arum makes it.

"But with Rubio, a lot of people think he will beat me, so that gives a lot of credibility to me when I beat him."

Donaire still moving to higher heights.

Spoiler [+]
When pound-for-pound star Nonito Donaire signed with Top Rank in June 2008, he was already a flyweight champion when he stood at the podium at the introductory news conference at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. It was there that Donaire said his goal was to win titles in at least six weight classes, all the way up to the 130-pound junior lightweight division.

Donaire is well on his way.

After giving up his flyweight belt, he won an interim title at junior bantamweight and then scored the 2011 knockout of the year last February when he crushed Fernando Montiel in the second round to win a pair of bantamweight titles.

[h4]Rafael's boxing blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

Now, after one defense, Donaire is movin' on up again, this time into the 122-pound junior featherweight division, where he will gun for yet another world title.

Donaire, who hails from the Philippines, will meet former titlist Wilfredo Vazquez Jr., the son of former three-division titleholder Wilfredo Vazquez Sr., for a vacant belt at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, on Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET). In the main event, middleweight titlist Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (44-0-1, 31 KOs) will make his second defense, against Mexican countryman Marco Antonio Rubio (53-5-1, 46 KOs).

Donaire, 29, is relieved that he doesn't have to cut as much weight as he once did. But cutting down also isn't as necessary as it once was, he said, because he is now taking great care not to put on as much weight between fights. He weighed 147 pounds when he began training for his October bantamweight defense against Omar Narvaez. Donaire had to get down to 118 pounds. For the fight with Vazquez, Donaire said he started camp at 130 pounds.

"I'm so much more mentally and physically prepared for this fight," Donaire said. "We're working really hard. I want to fight three or four times this year. I want to stay healthy and I am keeping my weight where it should be. I've done that. I haven't gone up to more than 130 and it's been great. I was 147 before the last fight and it was the biggest mistake. I wasn't taking care of myself. I've learned a lot."

[+] Enlarge
Chris Trotman/Getty ImagesOmar Narvaez made it impossible for Nonito Donaire to look good last October in New York, and Donaire admits he wasn't as prepared as he could have been.

By the way, Donaire routed Narvaez with ease in that bout. Narvaez refused to engage, ran all night and lost a shutout decision.

Several days before Saturday's fight, Donaire was already down 124, which essentially puts him on weight and has him eating regularly.

"He has no problem making weight for this fight," trainer Robert Garcia said. "I see Nonito being here for a few fights and eventually featherweight and, hopefully, then junior lightweight. But right now our focus is at 122. We want to have great fights at 122 and fight the best.

"He enjoyed camp this time. Before, he'd have to come down in weight the last two weeks and it was all about making weight. Sparring didn't go as well, he was mad and tired and bored. Now he's been walking around at 124 for the last couple of weeks. He's getting ready to fight Vazquez, not just making weight."

Donaire wants very much to make an entertaining fight, not another snoozer like the one with Narvaez.

"We want to make it exciting for the crowd. I want to be able to say I made it exciting for everyone," Donaire said. "And that is what I am aiming for this year in all of my fights. I felt bad for the crowd at the Narvaez fight. We don't want a boring fight. We want one that is fun for everybody."

Donaire (27-1, 18 KOs) expects Vazquez (21-1-1, 18 KOs) to pose a much bigger challenge, which is one of the reasons he said he took training so seriously when it came to maintaining his weight.

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4]
twitter-logo_sm.gif
Don't miss a moment of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

"I know I will be facing the best Vazquez," Donaire said. "He's the kind of kid who gets better and better. I can't look past that. I think he has good power and decent speed. I can't take him lightly."

In May 2011, Vazquez, 27, lost his title via 12th-round knockout to Mexico's Jorge Arce in an upset on the Manny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley undercard. Vazquez won his next fight by knocking out no-hoper Robert Leyva in October to set up the fight with Donaire. Arce had vacated the belt and dropped down to bantamweight, where he claimed one of the belts Donaire had relinquished.

"Vazquez is a helluva fighter," Garcia said. "He has power. He hits hard. We have to fight smart and not look past Vazquez. A lot of people might think he should have never lost to Arce, but it might have been a learning experience for Vazquez. I think he's learned his lesson and we will see a better fighter."

If Donaire wins, it could set the stage for a string of major fights for him at junior featherweight before he will look to move up again.

"If my body lets me go up, I want to be able to go higher and higher, but first things first," Donaire said.

Even though Donaire says he is focused on Vazquez, he can't help but talk about other fights that loom if he wins. There is Arce, who is also with Top Rank, Japanese titleholder Toshiaki Nishioka and newly crowned titlist Guillermo Rigondeaux, also a Top Rank fighter, who knocked out Rico Ramos to claim a belt two weeks ago.

[+] Enlarge
Ethan Miller/Getty ImagesJorge Arce, right, could be next on Nonito Donaire's hit list, but Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. -- despite last May's loss to Arce -- won't be an easy out Saturday.

"Nonito and Arce really want to fight each other," Top Rank president Todd duBoef said. "We have an incredible Mexico-Philippines rivalry in boxing that has developed over the past few years. But Nonito has a tough out in front of him. Vazquez was beating Arce handily and got caught late and things turned. Nonito has a tough test.

"But it's great when you're in a weight class with options like Nonito has. You have marketable opponents and skilled opponents. Those are the two qualifications you need to engage the fans."

Donaire and Arce have already called each other out, and it's an easy fight for Top Rank to make.

"I think that would be an exciting fight," Donaire said. "He's not the most dangerous guy for me, but he's the most exciting fight I would fight in this weight class. He's still strong and still determined. And he beat Vazquez. He's not a pushover."

As for Nishioka, Donaire said he wants to fight him because Nishioka defeated another fighter Donaire wanted to fight, Jhonny Gonzalez.

"I wanted to fight Gonzalez and he knocked him out, and now I have him in my crosshairs," Donaire said. "Nishioka is a very tricky fight, the most challenging fight in this weight class. I think [even more than Vazquez]."

Nishioka made his most recent defense in October in Las Vegas, with Top Rank assisting Akihiko Honda of Teiken Promotions with the fight for the express purpose of laying the groundwork for a potential fight with Donaire, who was ringside.

Rigondeaux has chirped about wanting Donaire since his victory last month, but Donaire didn't have anything good to say about him.

"He was boring; he didn't excite me at all," he said. "You just got to stay in line. He can talk all this and that. It doesn't matter. I still don't think he is worthy. But he needs to stand in line. I will fight the guys who are champions and if he's still champion, he can get a shot. But I don't see anything that's special.

"I have my eyes set on Vazquez and then Nishioka, Arce and Rigondeaux. We'll get to them. I just have to keep winning. They'll get their chances because I believe I will be at 122 for a bit."

been awhile i've been pumped up for a fight....  i actually dreamt Nonito got knocked out in the 12th from a Vasquez left hook to the liver
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Back
Top Bottom